Maybe flying to Singapore in 2 weeks

Widebay

Well how things change, here we are, wife & I have been asked if we could look after our 8 year old grandson in Singapore in late February, which we jumped at, so if everything works out, we will fly to Singapore & have 2 weeks there, no doubt looking at other attractions we missed out on a previous trip.

So I will make some notes on various attractions or improved attractions, and I can post them on Cruise Critic on our return....it may help some visiting cruisers with what to see, and what's new in the Lion City.

Strange, I thought I would get at least one reply, asking about various "new" attractions in Singapore, and there is always "new" attractions in the Lion City, they keep re-inventing themselves.

I guess there is no need to post any information on my return.

I am cruising out of Singapore in 2015. Never have been here, so I don't even know what the attractions are. Guess my questions would include:

1. Where would you recommend staying pre-cruise?

2. How many days pre-cruise are needed to see the must see attractions?

3. What are the must see attractions?

For myself, I would appreciate any information you are willing to offer up. :D

Barb

Hi Barb,

In response to your questions, I would say 2-3 nights stay in Singapore will allow to see quite a lot of this City. The city is easy to get around on the MRT (mass rapid transport rail - cheap, safe & very efficient - makes other light rail systems look inadequate)

Normally, I would recommend at least 8-10 days in Singapore, to see everything worth seeing. However, on a cruise, you haven't got that time, here is my recommendation to you personally -

* Gardens by the Bay (allow 2 hrs for this attraction, plus another hour to view Marina Bay Sands Hotel (top level - swimming pool - great city views)

Wonderful shops, cafes down on ground concourse level, then gondola rides on the water course on lower levels)

* Most tourists seem to think they have to have a singapore sling drink at Raffles Hotel (a bit touristy) - No need. Go into Raffles courtyard, have a look. I prefer a nice coffee in their Coffee House. Raffles Hotel is an icon, and it plays on this aspect.

* I like Sentosa Island, a fun island with water slides, restaurants, historical museum, etc. and a fantastic Aquarium (one of the best I have ever seen)

* Clark Quay & Robertson Quay are okay for a visit (not my favourite - but it seems to appeal to a lot of tourists)

THERE ARE HEAPS AND HEAPS OF OTHER THINGS TO DO, but if your stopping in Singapore on a cruise, then you won't have sufficient time to see all my other favourite places to visit.

Hope this helps in some small way, regards Leigh

Barb, a quick question, I see your cruising out of Singapore in 2015 - what month & what destinations?

I say this as my wife & I are sailing out of Singapore on our first cruise in February 2015 on the Sapphire Princess, visiting Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Ko Samui in Thailand, Bangkok, then Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam, then returning to Singapore.

Then our 2nd cruise in 2015 departs Singapore on the 5th June 2015, we sail on the P&O Pacific Jewel, sailing via Semerang (Indonesia), Bali, Komodo Island, then Dili in East Timor, then across to Papua New Guinea, returning to the port of Brisbane.

My wife and I were in Singapore early January this year for the first time as the starting point for a 15 day Azamara cruise ending in Hong Kong. We loved the Singapore Flyer, Chinatown, Botanical Gardens (especially the Orchid Gardens), and the food - all levels. The Hawker Centers for street food, Chilli Crab (we went to Mellben), and super upscale Iggy's on Orchard Road. We did not make it to the new Bay Garden/Park but heard great reviews. The Night Safari was a bit of a disappointment. Marina Bay was very impressive although we did not get up to the top. Very fun time there although I personally prefer the chaos and grit of other Asian cities that Singapore does not have. As an American I think I am in the minority with that opinion.

Hi Barb,

In response to your questions, I would say 2-3 nights stay in Singapore will allow to see quite a lot of this City. The city is easy to get around on the MRT (mass rapid transport rail - cheap, safe & very efficient - makes other light rail systems look inadequate)

Normally, I would recommend at least 8-10 days in Singapore, to see everything worth seeing. However, on a cruise, you haven't got that time, here is my recommendation to you personally -

* Gardens by the Bay (allow 2 hrs for this attraction, plus another hour to view Marina Bay Sands Hotel (top level - swimming pool - great city views)

Wonderful shops, cafes down on ground concourse level, then gondola rides on the water course on lower levels)

* Most tourists seem to think they have to have a singapore sling drink at Raffles Hotel (a bit touristy) - No need. Go into Raffles courtyard, have a look. I prefer a nice coffee in their Coffee House. Raffles Hotel is an icon, and it plays on this aspect.

* I like Sentosa Island, a fun island with water slides, restaurants, historical museum, etc. and a fantastic Aquarium (one of the best I have ever seen)

* Clark Quay & Robertson Quay are okay for a visit (not my favourite - but it seems to appeal to a lot of tourists)

THERE ARE HEAPS AND HEAPS OF OTHER THINGS TO DO, but if your stopping in Singapore on a cruise, then you won't have sufficient time to see all my other favourite places to visit.

Hope this helps in some small way, regards Leigh

Thank you for all your help and information. I will research these places and also the MRT transportation. Is there a section of town that is close to the pier that we should look for accommodations, or is anyplace good? I understand taxies are reasonable to transfer from airport to hotel and hotel to pier.

We are on Celebrity Century Singapore to Singapore (includes two ports in Vietnam, Hong Kong, 2 ports in the Philippines and Kota Kinabalu), then stay on and travel to Dubai, then continue on to Rome through the Suez Canal. We start March 8th and end April 20th.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Barb

My wife and I were in Singapore early January this year for the first time as the starting point for a 15 day Azamara cruise ending in Hong Kong. We loved the Singapore Flyer, Chinatown, Botanical Gardens (especially the Orchid Gardens), and the food - all levels. The Hawker Centers for street food, Chilli Crab (we went to Mellben), and super upscale Iggy's on Orchard Road. We did not make it to the new Bay Garden/Park but heard great reviews. The Night Safari was a bit of a disappointment. Marina Bay was very impressive although we did not get up to the top. Very fun time there although I personally prefer the chaos and grit of other Asian cities that Singapore does not have. As an American I think I am in the minority with that opinion.

I have another cruise friend who said the night safari was a let down, so you are not alone in your opinion.

Barb

We've never bothered with the night safari either - heard that it's difficult to see the animals after dark.

The best parts of Singapore are those which haven't yet been knocked down - Little India, Chinatown and Raffles. Opposite Raffles is an old convent which now has handicrafts, cafes, bars, etc. in the grounds. It's called Chymes and is worth a visit if you're nearby - cool, shady and peaceful.

Have to agree with the other poster - Singapore is not my favourite city, far too sanitised.

Funny how people don't like something that is sanitised or too clean. I guess some people just love grubby, dirty places - well not for me.

People who visit Singapore on a cruise, have very limited time to see all the sights there. There are a lot of places in Singapore to visit/eat/etc, that a short stop on a cruise doesn't give one sufficient time, to see the unusual places or fun places. I feel sorry for some tourists, as they only visit the "same" attractions & not the unusual.

There is a grave on Dunk Island in far North Queensland, Australia, that of EJ Banfield who lived on the island with his wife, for many years. His headstone reads, " Let each man travel to the beat of the drum that he hears" - how true.

Sometimes, its good to break away from advice from others, and just wander & discover things by your own, then you feel that you have discovered it by "yourself".

Do a web search on "Singapore Attractions" to get a comprehensive list of sights to visit, then go & discover what appeals to you. Try not to book a shore excursion in Singapore, you don't need to, your only wasting money. Take a taxi (cheap) - there so many, and they reasonably cheap to get around from one sight to another.

We were in Singapore a few weeks ago, prior to and after our cruise.

We had a wonderful time doing two cooking classes here:

http://www.foodplayground.com.sg/

They don't advertise, but it is in a great historic building just outside Chinatown. We stayed at the Swissotel, Clark Quay and it was very nice, and pretty much in the thick of things. It was also nice that there are always cabs lined up to take passengers to various sites, very inexpensively.

I would say the Singapore Flyer was fun. We also did the "Ducks" Tour, which provided a nice alternative view to many of the sites. You can get a combo pass with the HOHO Bus and Ducks and I think the Flyer.

Have a great time. We liked Singapore, but it is definitely "Asia Lite".

Susan

Hi Barb,

Was just in Singapore in January. It really is a fabulous city to visit. It's amazing how we all have different views on Singapore. Unfortunately it does depend on how many days you are going to be there pre cruise to what you can fit in. Guaranteed just a small taste will want you wanting lots more!!

I just love going to Little India and the Arab Quarter. They have a fabulous authentic feel to them. Especially Little India, it has a grittier feel to it, compared to other areas in Singapore, yet it is still super safe and friendly. If you closed your eyes, you could almost believe your were in the real India (without the pollution, smells rubbish and traffic LOL) I enjoy Chinatown as well, but felt it was very touristy this visit. That said- it was Chinese New Year and everybody(and I mean everybody) was out and about there.

I have been lucky enough to go to both the Singapore Flyer and the viewing platform at Marina Bay Sands. For me personally Marina Bay Sands had a better view and was cheaper, and there was no time limit to how long you could be up there. There also the rather grand shopping complex that you can visit, and if you time it right you can watch the sunset, then go sit on the harbour front and view the light show (best viewed from the Marina Bay side)

I had always wanted to do a High Tea at the Raffles. Once again I felt this was over priced and not great value for money................but the ambiance and beautiful location was awesome. There are much better High Teas to be had in Singapore, but a visit to the Raffles is a must do. You can wander around in certain areas to get a feel how it was way back when. It really is a special part of Singapore's colonial history.

The HOHO bus is terrific value, and a great way to see Singapore and decide what and where you want to visit. There are 2 routes, one covers the heritage areas and the other the downtown and colonial areas. Your ticket covers both. Great value at S$26 and you can see all the important tourist sights.

This visit to Singapore I went off the 'tourist' trail and visit an area called Tiong Bahru. This was one of the original housing complexes in Singapore, and I had read about their food market and how they did a fabulous dish called Mor Lee. You could not have got a more authentic Singapore experience if you had tried. Cheap, friendly,clean and yummy. The area around has lots of little restaurants and bars and looks to become a great visiting place in the future. Also looked at Holland Park, which is kinda where the ex-pats hang around. It was buzzing in the middle of the week.....lots of western style restaurants, with western style prices, but lots of fun. All easily accessible thanks to the wonderful MRT system.

There is every price range of hotel you could imagine. I always tend to go for 3 star with fabulous location and the hotel we stayed at this time, location was 5 star.

Trip Advisor has fabulous information available for you.

Whatever you decide Barb have a fabulous holiday and wonderful cruise:D

Mr Widebay,

I will look forward to your observations on Singapore, so next time I visit (if I'm so lucky) I will have some new experiences to plan. Enjoy your visit with your grandchild.

ps I loved your EJ Banfield quote.

Wangeling Gal

Edited by wangeling gal

Hi Barb,

Was just in Singapore in January. It really is a fabulous city to visit. It's amazing how we all have different views on Singapore. Unfortunately it does depend on how many days you are going to be there pre cruise to what you can fit in. Guaranteed just a small taste will want you wanting lots more!!

I just love going to Little India and the Arab Quarter. They have a fabulous authentic feel to them. Especially Little India, it has a grittier feel to it, compared to other areas in Singapore, yet it is still super safe and friendly. If you closed your eyes, you could almost believe your were in the real India (without the pollution, smells rubbish and traffic LOL) I enjoy Chinatown as well, but felt it was very touristy this visit. That said- it was Chinese New Year and everybody(and I mean everybody) was out and about there.

I have been lucky enough to go to both the Singapore Flyer and the viewing platform at Marina Bay Sands. For me personally Marina Bay Sands had a better view and was cheaper, and there was no time limit to how long you could be up there. There also the rather grand shopping complex that you can visit, and if you time it right you can watch the sunset, then go sit on the harbour front and view the light show (best viewed from the Marina Bay side)

I had always wanted to do a High Tea at the Raffles. Once again I felt this was over priced and not great value for money................but the ambiance and beautiful location was awesome. There are much better High Teas to be had in Singapore, but a visit to the Raffles is a must do. You can wander around in certain areas to get a feel how it was way back when. It really is a special part of Singapore's colonial history.

The HOHO bus is terrific value, and a great way to see Singapore and decide what and where you want to visit. There are 2 routes, one covers the heritage areas and the other the downtown and colonial areas. Your ticket covers both. Great value at S$26 and you can see all the important tourist sights.

This visit to Singapore I went off the 'tourist' trail and visit an area called Tiong Bahru. This was one of the original housing complexes in Singapore, and I had read about their food market and how they did a fabulous dish called Mor Lee. You could not have got a more authentic Singapore experience if you had tried. Cheap, friendly,clean and yummy. The area around has lots of little restaurants and bars and looks to become a great visiting place in the future. Also looked at Holland Park, which is kinda where the ex-pats hang around. It was buzzing in the middle of the week.....lots of western style restaurants, with western style prices, but lots of fun. All easily accessible thanks to the wonderful MRT system.

There is every price range of hotel you could imagine. I always tend to go for 3 star with fabulous location and the hotel we stayed at this time, location was 5 star.

Trip Advisor has fabulous information available for you.

Whatever you decide Barb have a fabulous holiday and wonderful cruise:D

Mr Widebay,

I will look forward to your observations on Singapore, so next time I visit (if I'm so lucky) I will have some new experiences to plan. Enjoy your visit with your grandchild.

ps I loved your EJ Banfield quote.

Wangeling Gal

Thank you for all the great advice.

Barb

Wangeling Gal - its so good to see someone else post some interesting things to do in Singapore. Unfortunately, a lot of tourists only "touch the surface" when they visit (I guess that's a lot like other destinations) - cruises cause that, the only way to see a place fully is to fly/stay there. Cruising is just really scratching the surface of a destination.

My wife & I are now booked to fly Qantas to Singapore, then staying at our son's place (he & his wife will be overseas during our visit) but we will have the pleasure of not only looking after our grandson, but taking him to some great places, some for adults & others for children. Our grandson, will no doubt have places that he wants to take us to.

If I find some "new" special attractions whilst I am there, I will post them for the cool cruisers.

A Singaporean jumping in with a quick comment….

Theres so much on the web that you can search on Singapore tourist attractions…Garden by the Bay, Botanic Gardens' orchid enclosure (if you like plants), the zoo (not necessarily the night safari), the bird park, (if flora is your interest), Chinatown, little India, Arab Street (if you like a taste of those countries,,,,transport is easy (MRT i.e. underground, tube, train….or taxis (cheap & efficend….also HOHO for tourists….)……go to one of the housing estates e.g. Tiong Bahru, Bugis, etc to see how the locals live/shop/eat…..Raffles Hotel, Chijmes, Fort Canning, (if into history)….Clark Quay & the river for night entertainment,,,,,,Orchard Road for shopping and malling……etc……..

Depends on your interest and time you have…….For cruisers (pre or post) with only 2-3 days….you've got to pick and choose………enjoy……

Must thank the Australians and americans for "selling" Siingapore to the cruisers………not spell/checking this …..so pardon the typing…….

John Paulla - I couldn't agree more - great info & ideas. You mentioned one place I haven't been, that is Tiong Bahru. Is that the place where the local men bring canaries/birds? in cages whilst they talk, drink coffee etc.

Where I live in Australia, I grow orchids, palms, gingers, heliconians, bromeliads, etc. I started doing this after I returned from a Singaporian trip some years. I am fortunate to live in the sub-tropics of Queensland, Australia, where our climates allows me to grow these beautiful plants. I have one garden plot, which I call my Singaporean garden.

Looking forward to returning, and having a Tiger Beer.

Regards Leigh

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for calling me a 'switched' on traveller............I like it!!! Have been lucky enough to travel, and I always like to be prepared to try anything. Not much of a scenery gal, enjoy seeing how people work, play and live.

Trip Advisor has reviews on the Tiong Bahru Food Centre and on the area itself. I don't recall seeing any gents sitting around drinking coffee with their birds, but I might of been in the wrong area. Now that I would love to visit.

I would have liked to have done more 'off the beaten track' exploring of Singapore, but was travelling with my daughter who had never visited and so the touristy spots were a must........but she enjoyed everything that we did.

There are probably hundreds of these types of food centres and markets in Singapore, this was the one I discovered, and your family will probably know of even better ones.

Anyway enjoy the time with your grandson.

Deb

ps love those Tiger Beers!

Edited by wangeling gal

I would highly recommend you spend an hour or two in the Chinese Heritage Museum in Pagoda Street.

Small and well laid out it tells how Singapore came to be a majority Chinese city, using first person accounts and videos very effectively. You will not believe the size of the 'cubicles' which housed entire families, and, once seen, the living conditions the immigrants endured will stay with you forever.

Deb, yes we are looking forward to some quality time with our grandson.

He is quite active, so I might have to take him up on bush walk to Bukit Timah Reserve (almost behind where my son lives) and tire him out a bit.

I had a very nice Tiger beer last night. You can buy them from any Dan Murphy Liquor store in Australia. Nice beer, but not as good as Coopers Pale Ale.

The only problem I can find with Singapore, is that, it is hard to find anyone in a cafe who make a proper/decent Cappuccino coffee. When I walk from my son's complex to Bukit Timah Shopping Centre, to buys groceries etc, I like to stop for a coffee, but it always comes out very milky, oh well, they might have changed since my last visit.

You might find this interesting - on my last visit to see my son & family in Singapore, I walked to the same Bukit Timah Shopping Complex, and whilst there decided to get a hair cut. Well this attractive young man, with very fitting jeans, started cutting, and they finish off the cut, by running a small vacuum cleaner over your head, to collect all the fine cut hair particles.

I have never had that happen back home. Hope they didn't suck out all my brains, I won't tell you what my wife said.

Have a good wherever you are, and keep on cruising as they say.