Oasis Photo Review – All Dining and Drinks Menus - Daily Programs

Will the speciality restaurants fill up if you dont make a reservation before going onboard?

Hi phiflyers,

Not sure on that one. I think it varies and some nights are more popular than others. I successfully booked Giovanni's table on board for the same day (Day 6). I was accommodated ok, but half an hour earlier than my ideal time.

megacruiser

Thanks for the review and nice details. Especially appreciate the menus and compass'.

Does anyone know if the menues are presented in the same order regardless of Eastern or Western?

Hi lgonquin,

I was advised by one of the Head Waiters that the Wednesday night is swapped with the Thursday night, to tie in with the way formal night lies. Otherwise the same order each week. Things can change of course, but that is the present situation.

megacruiser

Day 3

One of the biggest achievements is how these Oasis Class ships can carry 6000 passengers and yet feel less crowded than many vessels carrying half that number. A lot of planning is part of it. Perhaps there are so many options and neighbourhoods to visit and to linger in. Perhaps the bigger cultural mix means a smaller percentage want to engage in traditional Caribbean-cruise activities, like lounging on deckchairs on the pool deck. Not that there is a shortage of places to lounge.

By moving the Windjammer up one deck to Deck 16, this leaves deck 15 as one heck of a long deck to accommodate the Solarium plus the two pairs of parallel pools that straddle the Central Park atrium.

Solarium1001_zps90c7dff8.jpg

Day4Interiors011_zpsd98fa6b3.jpg

Not to mention innumerable whirlpools including three vast ones, thousands of deckchairs with acres of deck space, mini-golf, basketball court and two Flowriders. Then there is the open deck space above.

Day4Interiors028_zps5dfcf8b9.jpg

Add into the mix the outdoor areas provided in Central Park and Boardwalk give even more places where folk can take in the fresh air and relax in the warm sunny weather.

oasis2046CentralParkandPools1001_zpsed9da88a.jpg

NikonConstellationOasis067_zps129d11d4.jpg

The menus are in a slightly different order. Formal night and port days are different Eastern vs Western.

I believe it's the second formal night where the menu is different.

Oops. I didn't see that this had been answered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by rsharp83

Now a case in point about this planning is the way in which passengers are disembarked at the ports of call. Two passenger gangways beside each of the forward and aft elevators, and a separate one for the crew, always seemed to be in use. Elevators have a gangway button and are programmed to stop automatically at the correct floor and on arrival an announcement is made “Gangway, please exit here!” The passageways around the elevators are roped off with signs directing the correct way. This is all to improve passenger flow, ease congestion and to avoid folk scurrying hither and thither. Usually you exit the lift at Deck 3 and are led to an escalator that takes you down one floor to the gangways. Dual lines are in operation to swiftly scan your cruise card as you exit.

Let me say at this point that I am not someone who spends time exploring ports of call, especially in the Caribbean, so I will only post a few photos taken within 10-15 minutes walk of the ship. Sorry this may disappoint those who wish to see more of the destinations but, for me, ports of call are mere interludes that punctuate the progress of the cruise.

LabadeeNikon1001_zpsc99082a7.jpg

The last time I visited Labadee was prior to the pier being built and at that time all passengers and victuals had to be tendered ashore. There has also been extensive development of the resort area with various beaches to visit, one of which, Barefoot Beach, is reserved for the exclusive use of gold card passengers only (those in suites).

LabadeeCove1001_zps1a4ad6a6.jpg

LabadeeBeech1001_zpsf795372b.jpg[/url]

After half an hour ashore my home from home beckons and a very long pier must be traversed before air conditioned utopia will be mine once more. :D

LabadeeNikon082_zpsc49e153d.jpg

The good thing about going ashore briefly is realising the moment you step back aboard why cruising is so much better than land-based holidays. :)

Edited by megacruiser
clarification on which beach is reserved

Brilliant review megacruiser, and fantastic photos. Best I've seen on CC (IMO)

I for one can wait for each instalment if the presentation is to this standard, simply stunning, I've saved most of the photos (I hope you don't mind)

I've booked the Allure TA in Oct 2015 and want as much info on RCCL and the oasis class. What a ship, ever stat and fact blows my mind for this ship, how did they do it?

Your review is providing more information than I can process. Great job.

Hello papcx,

Well what can I say about such kind comments but a sincere thank you. So glad you like the photos - a new hobby taken up less than a year ago. So your praise for a novice like me is so encouraging, and I am more than flattered if you want to save the photos, as anyone is welcome to do.

As for the ship and how do they do it? Absolutely, it is totally mind-boggling what has been achieved! Even those who don't like big ship cruising would find lots on board to keep them happy, even solitude when they choose it.

Warm regards

megacruiser

Were the wines refilled or was it one pour per course?

Thank you for the review. It couldn't be better timing. My wife and I were discussing booking this ship and what room to get and your area was one on the top of our list

Hi sweetride,

Sorry to say that it was pretty much one glass per course, although one or two refill requests were granted, but I got the feeling it wasn't the done thing so never asked.

megacruiser

your review gets better and better!! I agree that the Barramundi is wonderful. The first time I had it was on the Allure last year in Chops, was my favorite dish of the cruise. Your photos are excellent. Camera? and what post process do you use? I think I take some good shots (Allure 1-6-13 with pictures) but I have seen some of your shots that I am going to shoot when I cruise in March on the Oasis

Hello again caneguy. A very discerning contributor you are! Yes the fish was excellent.

Thanks for you positive comment on my photos. 95% of the shots were taken on my Fuji X100. It is a 12MP fixed lens (no zoom) camera. No flash was used for any photo in this review. Its biggest asset is it's low light usability. Just a cautionary note before everyone rushes to buy one, this is not a point and shoot camera really. It takes a lot of time to learn to use it and the autofocus is temporamental, so every shot I took was manually focussed.

The other 5% were taken on a Nikon D5200 DSLR with wide-angle or zoom lenses. It's much bulkier than the Fuji so only took it out very occasionally, like in Labadee. As for process, I am a beginner so didn't want to spend too much on Lightroom or Photoshop, so got Corel Paintshop Pro which is much cheaper. Even that has got far more adjustment options than I ever intend to discover.

Best regards

megacruiser

I know exactly what you mean. The first couple of days of my Live Review I thought "what did I get myself into???" It does take time to write a review, edit pictures, and load them to Photobucket. I am thoroughly enjoying your review and appreciate the amount of time you are dedicating to this endeavor. I am posting a link over on my roll call for people to check your review out.

Thanks Again!!!! :D

Lisa

Hello RedHeadTexan,

I have discovered where my time is being wasted so am now going to do everything on my laptop. I had been transferring the edited photos to my main PC and this is what has been so problematic. So hopefully from here forward things may move at a faster pace.

Thank you so much for posting a link to my review. Much appreciated.

Cheers

megacruiser

Thanks for your review. I've never had lunch in th MDR before and it looks good. Is the the same everyday or does it change?

Hello moakes,

I know of two Brasserie 30 menus and sometimes one is repeated. I will post the other one later.

megacruiser

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures and enjoy the reviews. I am cruising Oasis in May and this gets my juices flowing. Keep up the good work and Keep it coming. Looking forward to days 3-7 :D

Hi kdnurs.

You are too kind. Well talking about gastric juices flowing :), my best meal ever on a ship by far was on Day 4 and it was beautifuly presented. Hang on in there.

Cheers

megacruiser

Thanks for taking the time to write and post your review. We are on the Eastern Carribean itinerary in May, on the Oasis for the first time, so it is very interesting to read your comments about the ship. And also the first time we have been on a ship this 'big'. Looking forward to the rest of the review (and photos!).

Day 3 Evening

It was a pre-dinner show tonight at 7.30 in Studio B, the Frozen In Time Ice Show. I always enjoy these shows. Very well staged with colourful costumes and extremely talented skaters who deliver a thoroughly entertaining performance.

I am posting a few photos to give a flavour of the spectacle and show some of the more difficult jumps. Sorry I am not up on the terminology, but I suspect "axels" and "salchows" were involved...

ICEANDFLOW043_zpsd4eb640f.jpg

The skater with the red spotted pantaloons was phenomenal in some of his manoeuvres.

5000f2dd-30cc-482a-8041-dfa416cc5163_zps2231584b.jpg

A segment involved two of the cast making drawings by scattering sand in a box that was illuminated and projected onto the screen behind. Quite fascinating to watch them create amazing scenes live in front of your eyes, clearly a skill they have totally mastered for them to appear so nonchalant.

ICEANDFLOW076_zpse3313043.jpg

iceshowducks_zps22372851.jpg[/url]

There was a touching moment when some thrilled youngsters from the audience were brought onto the ice in swan sleds.

ICEANDFLOW075_zps20627fe9.jpg

All said and done, a colourful and entertaining show.

ICEANDFLOW127_zps7ee17686.jpg

As things transpired this would be my last evening meal in the main dining room, Opus 5 for MyTime Dining.

MYTIME1001_zps17c499a0.jpg

JanFeb14119_zps36a824b5.jpg

I enjoy wine with Dinner but slightly resent the price charged when buying it onboard by the glass. I would guess the measure is about 150 ml, which by UK standards seems rather measly. If it were 250 ml for the price charged, I am sure far more passengers would indulge themselves nightly.

Wine Packages offer relatively better value for money so long as you buy a minimum of five bottles. These wines are of a quality that you could expect to find at home for under £8 ($12) but one was listed at as much as $57 per bottle or $14 a glass. Anyway the saving can work out at about 20% but only if you would be drinking the more expensive bottles anyway, and higher priced ones do not always equate to better quality. So best decide if any of the lowest priced wines are adequate and if so, pay as you go. Unfinished bottles can be taken with you to your cabin or kept until the following day. Even if a change of venue is involved they make sure the wine will always follow you.

Next time I will pay as I go for two reasons. Firstly the complimentary bar at the nightly Diamond Event and secondly the fact that wine pairing was included at the Chef's Table and was an option at 150 Central Park. So I will bite the bullet and just buy two bottles of decent wine of my choice when in the main dining room, rather than from their limited package selection, and make it last four nights.

Here is the Day 4 Menu

SCAN0004_zps96a360fe.jpg

SCAN0005_zps5ea74adf.jpg

None of the starters grabbed my interest. On the other hand the Eggplant Parmigiana was the vegetarian main course option. If memory serves me correctly it also used to be served on occasion as a starter and I have always enjoyed it. So that’s what I ordered and although it’s nothing to look at, it is one of those intensely satisfying dishes when done right and I have always found it be consistent on Royal Caribbean. Sorry these photographs are not so clear as the lighting is rather subdued. I had to move the plates to the very edge of the table to get nearer the light (see the dessert photo) but it was still rather dim.

ICEANDFLOW183_zps9e284432.jpg

The Garlic Tiger Shrimp could have been better than it was. Seemed to lack a freshly cooked flavour and was a bit overcooked. Not a disaster but another one to strike off the list.

ICEANDFLOW187_zpsc9c83353.jpg

The Sticky Bread and Butter Pudding was really rather good. So overall, two out of three wasn’t bad.

ICEANDFLOW188_zpsed0aaf06.jpg