Celebrity Summit Southern Carribean - HELP

Touptite

We are going to be on the same cruise. We booked it while on board last week. We plan on taking a water taxi over to St. John and going to Trunk Bay. This is a national park but has one of the nicest beaches I have seen. Well worth the visit. It is about a 20-25 minute water taxi ride.

Yeah, I saw that excursion on Celebrity's website... looks amazing! I think it will definitely make the list! I was thinking about booking this through them because I'm not familiar with all this. We can obviously talk about this later but maybe we can share the water taxi ride? I didn't know there was such a thing as "water taxi". That's sound fun :) lollll

Anyway, I'm glad you'll be on the same cruise... we'll probably see each other I guess. I found the roll call so we can write to each other there maybe?

I really need help... I'm a newbie!

This is going to be our first cruise. I just booked today the Southern Caribbean Cruise on the Celebrity Summit (Bridgetown, Barbados - Castries, St. Lucia - St. Johns, Antigua - Philipsburg, St. Maarten - Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas - San Juan, Puerto Rico) and I'm SOOOOO excited but I need your help!

Fisrt of all, background: I'm (35) going with my mother-in-law (65), my mom (66) and dad (65). (I call them my retired crew! :D loll)

Where to start? :confused:

What to see? What are the musts in all those places? :confused:

Book a tour or go by ourselves? :confused:

............I checked the roll call and didn't find any usefull info as what to see/do.

On what websites do you mainly get the info about the self booked excursions ? I did check Tripadvisor but is there others?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to your first cruise.

Here are links to the port forums and the port overviews for the ports you will be visiting, places to pick up lots of good ideas from others who have been there / done that.

Barbados

Barbados Cruises - Cruise Critic

St. Lucia

St. Lucia Cruises - Cruise Critic

Antigua

Antigua - Cruise Critic

St. Maarten

St. Martin - Cruise Critic

St. Thomas/St. John

St. Thomas Virgin Island - Cruise Critic

San Juan, PR

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Just look them over and see what appeals to you.

You may decide to do a mix of some tours and some exploring on your own, some places together with the older family members, and other places without them.

Their interests and abilities may be different from yours, or even different from one another.

Have a wonderful time!

• 4 weeks later...

Charlene, we will be sailing the Summit on Saturday, 3/22/14. Can you tell me if there is a laundry room with an iron & board for guests to use? Also on informal nights, do men have to wear coats or can they wear slacks & a cotton Hawaiian type shirt?

Thanks for the info on excursions.

Charlene, we will be sailing the Summit on Saturday, 3/22/14. Can you tell me if there is a laundry room with an iron & board for guests to use? Also on informal nights, do men have to wear coats or can they wear slacks & a cotton Hawaiian type shirt?

Thanks for the info on excursions.

I'm not Charlene, but I have sailed on the Summit three times in the past year, so I believe I can answer. No, there are no laundry rooms or irons for guests to use. You would need to send the item out to be pressed. On casual nights, slacs and a Hawaiian type shirt is fine!

Enjoy! We're on her again on 4/12. She's an amazing ship with a fabulous crew!!

Thanks Cruzngrl... So I can wait until the last minute and there will still be excursions available ?

Some excursions have a capacity limit. Once the limit is reached it is pulled from the on-line roster. I have lost out on several excursions by waiting too long. This happens on excursions that are catamarans that only have room for so many people, or jeep tours where there are only so many jeeps available. If a tour is very popular the ship can sometimes get in touch with the tour company to see if another bus is available.

If you choose to wing it on your own, these ports have lots of taxis to transport you wherever you want to go. You can arrange for a full day, half day, drop off, pick back up, etc. When you read and do research you will get a feel for how easy it is in each port to do what you want to do. We also like to do short excursions in the morning and then just walk around the port (or town if we feel comfortable). Lots of choices.

We only book ship excursions - just a personal preference. I'm on vacation and want someone else to think for me!! Others feel perfectly comfortable booking their own and that's fine with me.

Have fun. This is a great itinerary.