Has anyone done the Baltics or the Mediterranean cruises?

NJDeb

I was just looking at the latest Latitiudes magazine. Was wondering if anybody has any feedback on either one of these cruises? I do not recall reading anything on the message boards about them. They certainly look great and spend quite a lot of time in port. Thanks.....

I cruised the Baltic capitals (Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn and St. Petersburg) on Splendour of the Seas back in 2000. It was a great trip. Wonderful ports with lots to see. Lots of history and great architecture.

I cruised the Med (Venice, Athens, Kusadasi, Rome/Civitavecchia, Livorno/Florence/Pisa, and Cannes/Monte Carlo) on Pacific Princess (the original Love Boat!) back in 1997. Again, an excellent trip. Very port-intensive and tiring, but well worth it. Historic sites, archaeological ruins, wonderful churches/cathedrals/museums.

I would do either again in a heartbeat.

Did the Baltic several years ago on NCL's Norwegian Dream. Loved the itinerary, but the ship was certainly not our favorite. The highlight on that cruise was the Kiel Canal, a shortcut into the Baltic from the North Sea - many ships are too large to fit through. We were so impressed with the Kiel and the Baltic that we are going again this year, on Oceania's Regatta.

Have been in the Med with Princess - great part of the world.

I cruised the Baltic on the Dream in 2001. Almost the same itinerary as johnql except we stopped in Germany instead of Oslo. Kiel Canal was a highlight. Did an excursion to Moscow; once in a lifetime thing. Loved this cruise. It's my favorite to date.

I cruised the Baltic on the Dream in 2001. Almost the same itinerary as johnql except we stopped in Germany instead of Oslo. Kiel Canal was a highlight. Did an excursion to Moscow; once in a lifetime thing. Loved this cruise. It's my favorite to date.

There would be many who would agree that this is one of the best cruises there is. The Kiel Canal crossing with an oompah band playing all the way and the Dream flipping its funnel to clear the bridge are delightful.

quick question for you seasoned cruisers. how much money did you set aside for excursions and other things? would love to do either cruise but never sure on how much money we will need. thank you.
Don't ask! It was so expensive. My excursion to Moscow alone was almost $700 a person. The Baltic cruise is definitely a fast paced busy cruise that takes a lot of money. But to be honest...worth every penny! I'd set aside a minimum of $1,000 a person if you plan to do a Moscow trip or a two day tour in St. Petersberg. The other ports aren't as expensive. It's Russia that will get you. You can find ways to save tons of money if you book tours independently. Check out the Baltics board. I host that board too and it's chock full of tour information and money saving tips.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Cecilia. A Baltic cruise can be quite expensive and I didn't even go to Moscow! But I did see a lot of St. Petersburg and it was fascinating. The highlights were the world-famous Hermitage Museum, St. Catherine's Palace, Peterhof, and Peter & Paul Cathedral. $1,000 is probably a good estimate.

Archived