best time for new zealand

Rhonbru

Hard to really say as the weather can vary in NZ and on the way. We cruised early in December 2012 and had a great time and a beautiful clear day for going thru Milford Sound etc however we heard the ships the next day couldn't get into the sounds. I think it is just pot luck really and the ships only go certain times during the year - they would have it worked out when the best possible time would be - just still expect rain and it can be cold on deck when in the South Island waters.

Enjoy.

I agree, Feb/March is best. The weather tends to be more settled then although you must expect to get the odd wet and possibly cold day.

I lived in NZ for 45 years, and now live in Sydney. When we go back to NZ to catch up with friends and family we always choose late February or March.

going on a alaska cruise this may (gave in to my husbands choice) but next year hope to go on a new zealand cruise, what is the best time of the year to do a new zealand cruise

As kate59 said its very had to say when is the best time to come here (New Zealand) as the weather here can very between islands and between weeks as well. Normally between Dec / March is normally the better time to come but I suggest you pack for all sessions and weather!!

We have cruised around New Zealand twice both times in Dec/Jan (Over Christmas / New Year), The first time around New Zealand the weather was great!

and the 2nd time if we went on the cruise we where meant to go on the weather would have been great again, but the ship was overbooked so we swap cruises / ships, and in turned out the weather was not as good.

January - March is the warmest, but it depends where you are in NZ and/or there are La Ninja weather patterns. You can have very windy weather or very humid, as well as the most beautifull blue skies with a light summer breeze with temperatures ranging from 23 -30 degrees Celcius.

I'm not sure if there is a "best" time to see NZ.

We were in Dunedin a couple of days short of Australia day (26th January), and it was snowing.

Its a beautiful place at any time of the year.

They are predicting snow for this week on the top of the Southern Alps . Elsewhere temps are hitting 30 C .. :eek:

I would love to see snow on the mountains....so sick of hot weather here in Oz

The best time for snow-clad mountains is the NZ spring, but you have to be prepared for cold weather, especially down south.

You've got to be lucky to see snow on the mountains in NZ in Feb/March, apart from the very tallest mountains, but it does happen. Hard to predict though.

No one knows what the weather is likely to be like when you come sorry :)

As a Kiwi I have to say our weather is very changeable. We have no large land mass to moderate whatever Antarctica, Australia or the South Pacific send us. And all our weather comes in across at least a thousand miles of ocean

So currently in the north is is windy, overcast, humid and relatively hot. We have hot sunny Christmas Day's, cold wet ones, warm wet ones, and cold dry ones.

They say Land of 4 Seasons in one afternoon with good reason.