Do I have enough time?

mobydog

I am sailing on the Carnival Glory March 16th and will be in Belize from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on March 20(I am guessing that is ship time). I do NOT have a FTTF yet (I look every day). Here is what I would like to do:

Take the ferry over to Caye Caulker. Meet up with our small charter guide who will take us out at 10:30 a.m. and has ensured that he will have us back in time for the 1:30 p.m. ferry back to Belize City. Has anyone used Caveman Tours (he gets excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and has been very friendly emailing me)?

What is the time difference? What are the chances I will get on the 8 a.m. or 9 a.m. local ferry in time if I am tendering from Carnival without FTTF?

Has anyone found out that the 1:30 p.m. ferry was sold out or should I guarantee passage by purchasing our return ticket in advance? How reliable are the ferries? Do you have a ferry preference?

Thank you in advance for your advice! We always book our own stuff (it is so much cheaper that way) but for some reason, I am worried about timing on this one.

Holly,

I can speak on getting to the tender pier and in general on the ferries. Ferries are generally reliable but who knows what the weather will be like or if that particular ferry has a problem on that particular day. These aren't "old" tugs though and are generally well maintained. Buy the RT if you are sure your guide will have you back in time. Also check how many ships are in port that day with you. That will give you an idea if there'll be a lot or just a few others heading to Caye Caulker on the ferry.

The time you stated for port is ship time (Eastern). The ferry times and the time quoted by your guide are Belize times (one hour earlier). The last tender is probably at 4P or 4:30P ship time. This will be announced and posted on ship, in the FunTimes and on the dock. If you are taking the Belize Water Taxi, it's a 3 minute walk back to the tender pier. The Caye Caulker Water Taxi is a 5-7 minute walk. Both straight shots down Fort Street. 1:30 Ferry should get you back by 2:30 (3:30 ship).

You might be able to catch a 9AM ferry fairly easily. Be a reach for the 8AM. But even without FTTF you can get an early tender to the pier. Here's how: Look at the Fun Times the evening before. It will tell you where the non-priority/non-ship excursion tender meetup/waiting area is and what time it opens for signup (probably 7A or 7:15A. Be at that spot 10-15 minutes before signup time with all members of you party together. Don't panic if there's a small line in front of you, tenders generally carry 200-300 passengers.

Get an early number but as they call these in groups of 50 or 100 again don't panic because you've got #10 and there are 30 people in front of you. Ships are generally ready to receive tenders along side by 8:15/8:30. So while you are waiting, send someone out for coffee and goodies from the Lido deck. You can wander in and out once you have your boarding number.

Relax and have a good trip. Sounds like a nice day planned.:)

Daylight savings time in the US starts March 9, 2014.

So leaving Florida on eastern daylight savings time,

Grand Cayman will be 1 hour behind ships time, as the Cayman Islands do not observe DST. (but are in the same time zone)

Roatan will be 2 hours behind ships time, as Honduras does not observe DST.

(but is on Central time)

Belize will be 2 hours behind ships time, as Belize does not observe DST.

(but is on Central time)

Cozumel will be 2 hours behind ships time, as Mexico does not begin DST until April 6, 2014.

So 8AM - 5PM "ships time" in Belize translates to 6AM - 3PM Belizean time.

6am - 1PM in Roatan, 6am - 3pm in Grand Cayman and 8am - 4pm in Cozumel.

Carnival and their "ship time" is departure port time, makes it difficult to figure times in the spring and the fall during the staggered time changes. (Bush screwed things up by starting DST a month earlier and later than the rest of the world too.)

Hope the time works for your planned activities.

Glad my April 6th cruise is on NCL, as apparently, according to my brother, who sails them alot, they change ships time to local time at every port.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

Thanks bguppies...based upon your information, I don't think I can comfortably catch the 1:30 water taxi back to Belize City from Caye Caulker...that only gives me a 30 minute window to make it back to the port area and catch a tender to the boat...

Thanks bguppies...based upon your information, I don't think I can comfortably catch the 1:30 water taxi back to Belize City from Caye Caulker...that only gives me a 30 minute window to make it back to the port area and catch a tender to the boat...

Yeah, I've only been to Belize once so far (willbe back in April) and we didn't leave the pier area, so I can't help with the ferry timing, etc...

Just with the crazy time change mathematics.

But I'm sure some that have been to Caye Caulker multiple times, might be able to steer you right.

Best of luck with your planning.

Hope whatever you do, you have a great day in Belize.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

Sorry Holly, I didn't realize you were going in March. I'd be with you and not risk the chance with less than a 30 minute window to catch the last tender. Hope you find something else. Ask your guide for assistance. He may have a solution. You could make the 8AM ferry as that would be 10AM ship time and then catch the noon back, if your guide could meet you at 9AM or 9:30 Belize.

You wouldn't have to try to hit that first tender either.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

I have done Caye Caulker and it is great. It is a super small little and basically allows no cars. Everyone knows everyone and it is a great and quaint island. We met a boat at the pier (booked independently) and took the boat from there to snorkel, then to Caye Caulker for lunch and some time on our own.

I am a fan of the Caye plan, and have never actually been outside the port other than to hope on a boat, but you could be pressed for time doing the ferry. We got off the ship as quickly as possible, but there was quite a backup to get on the tenders and leave the ship. From what everyone said, it was unusual to have such a backup, but it definitely happened during our port day.

Caye Caulker can definitely be done and is completely worth the travel time, I am just not sure about the ferry situation.

Just called Carnival and the employee I spoke with said that was is on my itinerary is the local time in port so I should be good to go! We will actually be in Belize from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. LOCAL time not ship time. I will just need to try to get out on the earliest tender possible to make sure I can make it Caye Caulker on time. Thank you all for your comments!

Just called Carnival and the employee I spoke with said that was is on my itinerary is the local time in port so I should be good to go! We will actually be in Belize from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. LOCAL time not ship time. I will just need to try to get out on the earliest tender possible to make sure I can make it Caye Caulker on time. Thank you all for your comments!

I would double check that...

Unless Carnival has changed their policy recently (like since mid December 2013), ship time has always been the departure port time, for the entire cruise on all 12 Carnival cruises I have been on and my wife said her girls cruise in December this year, was still Florida time for the entire cruise.

I can let you know for sure Thursday, as we have friends who just left on Carnival from Tampa today, going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

NEVER take the word of an anonymous cruiseline employee on the phone for the Gospel truth.

Frequently, regular cruisers on these boards know much more than them.

Thanks! They did say the boat does follow Florida time...however, they said that the itinerary provided in advance of cruising reflects the local time at each island for planning purposes with tour vendors. Is that your experience?

Thanks! They did say the boat does follow Florida time...however, they said that the itinerary provided in advance of cruising reflects the local time at each island for planning purposes with tour vendors. Is that your experience?

No, the ship time or 'itinerary time' has nothing to do with local time. If you leave from, say Miami, the itinerary says you'll be in Belize at 8:30am, it's 8:30 am in Miami. Sometimes, the Fun Times will mention the time difference, other times not.

No, the ship time or 'itinerary time' has nothing to do with local time. If you leave from, say Miami, the itinerary says you'll be in Belize at 8:30am, it's 8:30 am in Miami. Sometimes, the Fun Times will mention the time difference, other times not.

That has been my experience on all of my Carnival cruises.

(thus why I got so good at time change conversions. :D )

Frequently it makes zero sense (especially like when you are cruising) to arrive at a port at 6am local time.

Edited by bguppies