A tad late..Ruby Review Feb 10 - Feb 15 - LONG!

hllwdcruiser

One night, after perhaps one too many glasses of wine, I was skimming through my e-mails when I came upon a last minute deal from Princess Cruises. A deal, that in my hazy brain, seemed way too good to pass up. A few clicks here, and a tap or two there and before I really knew what I was doing, I had bought a cruise for two leaving out of Port Everglades in exactly 10 days….It was only when the deal was done and the card was charged that I happened to look over at my DH who was sitting in happy ignorance watching TV….

Although at first he was a little perturbed that I actually went ahead and bought this trip without even consulting him - he eventually came around to the idea…especially after I told him it was non refundable!;)

In actuality, DH retired on January 30th after serving 28 years in law enforcement. The cruise was 11 days after - and what better way to celebrate his new found freedom?!?

February 10th rolled around and the weather was fair and sweet. We live 7 miles west of the Port, and I can not tell you how often when driving 95 North to 595 W, I look East, see the ships and longingly tell my DH how I wish we were on one. At 11 AM DH drove us to the Port and dropped us off at Terminal 2 in front on the Beautiful Ruby. The excitement I feel on embarkation day is unmatched by any other experience. I LOVE every minute of it.

This was our first time with the new liquor "laws". We carried on our two bottles in a Publix wine bag and were told to go to the checkpoint - where the line (queue) was about 5 deep. I whispered to DH that I had read on cruise critic that they may not notice if you skip the line, so we started to inch nonchalantly away…until we were stopped by a security guard and told to return to our places :eek: Good thing we weren't smuggling anything! Anyway, the line was actually short and painless and before we knew it we were checked in and waiting to board.

It seemed like just minutes before they started to round us up to go on board, and as usual, it was extremely organized and well executed. The only complaint I have is that we then had to wait on a longer line as the requisite photos were taken. Since we never ever buy the photos we usually just duck around the line with no problem. This time a security guard would not let us so we had to wait. No biggie at all - but it did seem a little silly.

Once on board, can I just say, "Oh my Goodness!"? Fourth time on Princess, 3rd on the Ruby and once on the Crown, and still the Piazza just blows me away. It truly is a breathtaking design. I suppose if I looked closely, I could notice some minor wear and tear, but who wants to look that closely? We headed straight for the Crown Grill to make reservations, but no-one was there to be found. I was a little concerned because we decided not to pack a suit this time for DH, to forego Formal Night and eat in a specialty restaurant instead.

We then headed to our cabin, D114, and our luggage was already there. Unbelievable! We met our Steward, Shiv, who apologized profusely that he didn't have our glass of champagne ready for us. Those of you who have ever had their free glass of champagne know that the absence of said glass was really not a problem…;) Once alone, I picked up the phone and called the Dine Line. After only a few minutes I was able to secure a 7 PM reservation for both the Formal Night at The Crown Grill (first sea day) and Valentine's Day at Sabitinis on the last night. No muss, no fuss.

Of course, after all this exercise we were hungry! Time to head up to Deck 15 and hit the Horizon Court. This voyage was undersold and boy was it evident that first day in the Buffet. There was hardly a line, very little crowding and we found a table by the window.

Since we are on the subject of food, I will give you my subjective opinion. A little background: I am a gourmet cook (not a chef, just a cook) Cooking is my hobby and I am one of those annoying people who not only cooks everything from scratch but grows all my own herbs and veggies. DH will eat anything that is put in front of him. He doesn't have a very discerning palate. Although I have never done so, I joke that I could sauté some onions, throw a little garlic in and open a can of Alpo, mix it all up and serve it to him with some mashed potatoes and he wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and my homemade cottage pie. He doesn't argue the point.

I truly do enjoy the food on the Princess ships. I love ethnic foods and they always have something interesting for me to try. I also enjoy good ol' American fare and they have plenty of that offered as well. We ate the pizza, the hamburgers and the hot dogs at least once. The food in the MDR is good and I can always find something I like. Some dishes stand out more than others, they had a Hawaiian Poke as an appetizer one night - unreal! I could have eaten 10 of them - but then again, I love sushi and raw fish. DH is a meat and potatoes guy and didn't have one meal that disappointed him. He had cheesecake for dessert every single night. Yes. Every single night. Desserts on Princess, in my opinion, surpass the two other lines I've sailed, NCL and RCCL. They truly are exceptional.

The only less than stellar report would have to be on the Anytime Dining. Our first night was disappointing and at times we felt like we were on a factory food production line. Service was okay - but nothing personable - it was more like, "get 'em in quick, get 'em out quick". This was our first time not having a standing reservation. We ate in the Anytime three times, the worst being the first - it got better on the second and third because we went in later - around 8 o'clock.

The best meal we had was at The Crown Grill. DH had the Pork Chop and I had the Filet with 2 lobster tails. After the appetizer and salad, I was hard pressed to finish my entree - but I persevered and got through it. :o Sabatinis was okay, better than the MDR but not nearly as good as the Crown Grill. We thought we would give it a try since we hadn't been since they changed the menu, but I'm not sure I would go again. I had the Softshell Crab for an app, which was excellent, and Lobster 3 way for the main course, which was good but not outstanding. DH had a steak - big mistake - even he admitted that it could have been better.

Because this was our third time on this ship and we had been to the Ports of Call before, this was the most relaxing trip ever. We didn't feel a need to run around like crazy exploring every nook and cranny or trying to partake in every event being held. We could always find a lounger by the pool or anywhere else that we wanted. DH, due to his sore back, likes the loungers near the MUTS pool because they have the cushioned topper. That pool seemed to be the warmest - we were actually able to enjoy it for long periods of time.

We do spend a lot of time on our balcony - I wish the loungers were a tad more comfortable. DH and I love sitting together, enjoying a drink and a snack and just gazing out to sea. The flying fish on this trip were amazing and mesmerizing. We didn't really use the suite part of our mini - but the extra space in the bathroom is priceless. I always bring my own shampoo and conditioner, and bar soap was provided in both the shower and the sink. DH used the new shampoo/conditioner combo and didn't have a problem with it. I actually liked the shower gel for shaving my legs - so no complaints from us on the new bathroom amenities.

This was our first time in a forward cabin and although one evening it was a bit rocky, neither DH nor I suffered from one moment of seasickness. I can't say I noticed a huge difference between being mid ship and being that much forward - except for the long walks from the aft of the ship!

One of the reasons we love Princess is that the customer base is older and more refined. We enjoy the quiet of the ship, being able to take a nap on deck or read a favorite novel without being interrupted by screaming children or raucous, drunk twenty somethings. We don't need climbing walls or water slides, blaring music and party games to have a good time. We do love children (we adore our grandchildren) and are parents to twenty somethings, but when we cruise we crave peace and quiet. I guess that is why researching is so important. Princess is not the "fun" ship, nor is it trying to be RCCL. We enjoy the comedians and the short acts. DH hates the productions so we never go to the shows.

What can be better than MUTS? We snuggled under our blankets and were lucky enough to see Captain Phillips and Gravity. We gorged on Popcorn and topped it off with cookies and milk. Seriously, is there anything better?

We did get off at the Ports but didn't go on any excursions. I was happy to visit Cozumel because I was running low on Vanilla. We took a taxi to downtown Cozumel - but never again. The shopkeepers vying for our "American Dollar" were far too intrusive and obnoxious to ever want to return. Some people we met on the ship said that the locals were just as bad on their Princess paid excursions.

A highlight of this trip was that Bernie Kopell, Dr Adam Bricker from the Love Boat TV series (and Get Smart), was on our ship. He gave a talk and interview one afternoon and was extremely humorous and entertaining. It was fun to hear the inside scoop on what went on behind the scenes while filming the Love Boat.

Service on the ship was exceptional. I don't know how the employees manage to stay so upbeat and customer focused at all times.

The trip was over way too soon and I am once again looking longingly east every time we cross onto 595. Thank goodness I get to plan our Alaska trip next!:D

HI,

Thanks for the review, I am doing a short 5 day cruise on Ruby in 49 more days for our 25th wedding anniversary, glad to hear its a quite group, lol.

I have sailed carnival and RC, this is my first princess cruise, wanted to try it.

I do plan on doing the crown grille as well.

Again, thanks:

Hi We were on the same cruise as you and loved it. Just wanted your opinion on NCL and RCCL. We were on the Ruby with our 2 kids(11,7) and they loved it but we are thinking of trying a different cruise line that had more to do for the kids. Thanks

I got off the Ruby yesterday and agree with many of the comments made in this review. The Crown Grill is a must and well worth the extra dollars. I would have paid much more for that meal. We were very disappointed in Sabatini's new menu and the service was just so so. I won't be back. The old menu was wonderful and it's a shame that it has been changed. I had better food in the MDR.

The crew is one of the best at sea and I always felt that they went out of their way to make each passenger feel special. Don't miss the English Pub lunch in one of the lounges on the last sea day.

Loved the salsa and Margarita excursion in Cozumel and would highly recommend it for something a little different.

Excellent review, thanks for posting.

I keep saying if I lived that close to the pier I would be in trouble booking probably 1 or 2 each month. :eek:

I know - it's pure torture…they are so close and yet so far! I'm so tempted by those transatlantics but DH keeps reining me in….:)

HI,

Thanks for the review, I am doing a short 5 day cruise on Ruby in 49 more days for our 25th wedding anniversary, glad to hear its a quite group, lol.

I have sailed carnival and RC, this is my first princess cruise, wanted to try it.

I do plan on doing the crown grille as well.

Again, thanks:

Congratulations on 25 years! What an accomplishment! I truly believe you will enjoy Princess and look forward to your feedback as how it compares to Carnival and RCCL.

Hi We were on the same cruise as you and loved it. Just wanted your opinion on NCL and RCCL. We were on the Ruby with our 2 kids(11,7) and they loved it but we are thinking of trying a different cruise line that had more to do for the kids. Thanks

We have many friends who have children the same age as yours. They seem to have the best experience on The Allure or The Oasis - and tend to go back repeatedly. If we were to take our grandkids on a cruise, one of those two ships would be our choice.

I haven't been on an NCL ship for what seems like eons so I really can't give good feedback on what the line is like now.

I got off the Ruby yesterday and agree with many of the comments made in this review. The Crown Grill is a must and well worth the extra dollars. I would have paid much more for that meal. We were very disappointed in Sabatini's new menu and the service was just so so. I won't be back. The old menu was wonderful and it's a shame that it has been changed. I had better food in the MDR.

The crew is one of the best at sea and I always felt that they went out of their way to make each passenger feel special. Don't miss the English Pub lunch in one of the lounges on the last sea day.

Loved the salsa and Margarita excursion in Cozumel and would highly recommend it for something a little different.

What was the salsa and margarita excursion? Was it a Princess one? That sounds like something we would have enjoyed. Well, definitely the Margarita part!;)

We were on the same cruise. Thanks for sharing :)

-Andrew

I saw that - and I was also reading along as you were deciding whether to sail or not on this voyage due to the sudden rise in fares.

Totally enjoyed your review as well - you have a gift of humor that made it a joy to read!

Thanks for posting your review. We were on in December to celebrate our 25th anniversary and are going again in three weeks. Like you, I did not plan on taking this cruise. It just came up at a great price and airfare was cheap. I can't wait until we're retired and can go anytime--even if we have to drive from North Carolina down to Fort Lauderdale to take advantage of a great price when airfares aren't as reasonable.