Foreign Transaction Fee question (MSC)

CantSwim63

Capital One has the WORST customer service. I'd hate to be stuck in a foreign country and have to depend on them.

Don't know who you've spoken with at Capitol One but I have had no problems at all with them. I've used my card in at least 7 different foreign countries in Europe and the Caribbean and never an issue.

This is something I have not even considered. I am leaving a US Port on Divina - paying for everything in US $ --- I should not be charged a foreign exchange on my credit card ... anyone with recent experience on Divina?

The latest I've heard is the on board expenses are charged through a Foreign Bank for Americans, which would mean most will have a 3% fee added, but some cards, and banks offer 0% fee for foreign charges, mostly travel cards! Best to call your card issuer to find out!

The latest I've heard is the on board expenses are charged through a Foreign Bank for Americans, which would mean most will have a 3% fee added, but some cards, and banks offer 0% fee for foreign charges, mostly travel cards! Best to call your card issuer to find out!

Another option is to prepay for most of the things you will purchase on board, tips, drinks, specialty restaurants, and then you won't have to worry about 3% on a very small final bill.

My goodness - what is 3%? Drink 3% less and you will be fine. Otherwise do your homework before you set off. Patience running low at the moment.

Re: Your patience running low. If this thread taxes your patience, just don't read it. No need to be snarky. If you can offer something positive and informative, on any subject; have at it. If not.... Well....

This is one of the infrequent questions that I have ever asked, on CC. My mistake. I thought that people who are on CC were helpful.

As my dear Jamaician friends say: Chillax!

From my personal experience the statement is incorrect (I didn't hear, I was there & paid the bill). There is no F/X surcharges as the ship's currency on the Caribbean cruises is US$. You'll be billed exactly the same amount as it appears in the final bill in US$. No F/X surcharges on any US$ denominated CCs. However on the European cruises ship's currency is € and US$ denominated CCs will incur 2.5% F/X charge unless it's waived by the CC issuer.

Edited by hkto

From my personal experience the statement is incorrect (I didn't hear, I was there & paid the bill). There is no F/X surcharges as the ship's currency on the Caribbean cruises is US$. You'll be billed exactly the same amount as it appears in the final bill in US$. No F/X surcharges on any US$ denominated CCs. However on the European cruises ship's currency is € and US$ denominated CCs will incur 2.5% F/X charge unless it's waived by the CC issuer.

Thank you for your informative post

The OP was about Foreign TRANSACTION fees, not exchange rates. Many credit cards, my own included, charge a 3% foreign transaction fee to process charges in foreign countries, like T shirts in St. Maarten and onboard spending aboard MSC USA sailings out of Florida, which are processed in Paris or Geneva banks. Only our original booking payment was processed in a USA bank, without a 3% FTF. Granted Skipper Tim, 3% is not a vacation buster, but nevertheless annoying.

Sorry, but if MSC charges on board expenses through a foreign bank for Miami cruises, as Neptuno, and others on the forum have stated, then most American Banks will charge a 3% fee for each foreign transaction!

Not all American banks charge this fee, that's why I stated if the 3% bothers you, you should call you bank to find out!

Tim is correct, it is a small amount, $30. on a $1,000! But it bothers some who don't know ahead of time!

Edited by American Bear

Yes MSC charge through a foreign bank however $100 charge should not be $103. I suggest calling the CC and asking for credit. If they don't agree ditch them & find a less greedy company. As I mentioned my CC didn't charge. Some CC companies like to pull cheap stunts like allowing to go over credit limit and then charge overdraft fees, The whole point of credit limit that transaction should be denied. In this case we called and charge was removed.

Edited by hkto