River cruises less comfortable than ocean cruises?

yooper1990

I'm a techie, so I always being video entertainment to watch. Used to be a laptop and DVDs, now I bring a tablet loaded with digital content on a few memory cards. I also bring an HDMI cable, as more and more ships install newer TVs that often (but not always) allow an external device to be connect via HDMI so we can actually watch our content on the TV.

I think you misunderstood the post you quoted. What has been discussed is obtaining a PR video OF RIVER CRUISING to help convince someone to take a river cruise:D Not watching dvds or other forms of entertainment while on vacation.....

A Viking promotional DVD was mentioned. AmaWaterways also has DVDs - one for Europe and one for Mekong. They would be a great way to show someone what river cruising is like. [Just remember that everyone pictured is a professional model -- you aren't expected to look that good!]

A Viking promotional DVD was mentioned. AmaWaterways also has DVDs - one for Europe and one for Mekong. They would be a great way to show someone what river cruising is like. [Just remember that everyone pictured is a professional model -- you aren't expected to look that good!]

Virtually all those and WAY more are right at everyone's fingertips on YouTube now. You can practically take the whole vacation on YouTube. :)

Between Google Maps and YouTube, planning a trip is so easy these days. I'm always the 'coordinator' for our little group that travels together, so I handle all the reservations and logistics. I love being able to research all the ships, the ports, which attractions to see, the transportation options, the tour options, what the pick-up points actually look like, what routes are best, what the hotels look like, how to use the local subways, etc. etc. in preparation for the trip.

I was on the Viking Danube cruise last year. I have no complaints about the bed or food. There might have been some unfriendly people on board, but I didn't run into them. We were travelling with another couple and met several other nice couples at meals. We are doing another cruise with Viking this year.

After 15 ocean cruises took my first river cruise last September/October - on Scenic which I would heartily recommend - loved every minute of it and can't wait to book another river cruise. Now that the ocean cruise ships are more like floating amusement parks, I think all my future cruises will be river ones.

We've been on several river cruises with Vantage, Viking and Grand Circle. If you want the "cruise experience" and coincidentally maybe see something in Europe, take an ocean liner European cruise. If you really want to see and experience European cities, take a river cruise. The guides are extremely knowledgeable about what you will see and the cities you will overnight at. On an ocean liner cruise, you will only see port cities, you won't experience and evenings or night life. Tours and excursions can add up to the cost of the cruise and you still won't see anything as in depth as on a river cruise. We found on all, the fellow passengers friendly and accommodating, the food as good as if not better than any ocean liner cruise (although selection a bit more limited) and cabins and bedding equal to those on ocean liner cruises. We have taken 2 ocean liner European cruises and to Europe will ONLY take river cruises in the future. Our next one is booked for this May.

I think you misunderstood the post you quoted. What has been discussed is obtaining a PR video OF RIVER CRUISING to help convince someone to take a river cruise:D Not watching dvds or other forms of entertainment while on vacation.....

Doh! I think you're right. Oh well, hopefully a bit of useful information anyway. :D