Big Price Difference

tashoz

We paid $5,328 for our cruise on the Rhapsody to Cairns just before Christmas in 2012. We have just booked the same cruise for April 2015 in a lower cabin category and the total is $ 9,798.00 AUD. Thats a massive difference.

Last time we had a suite and this time is a D1 balcony.

We paid $5,328 for our cruise on the Rhapsody to Cairns just before Christmas in 2012. We have just booked the same cruise for April 2015 in a lower cabin category and the total is $ 9,798.00 AUD. Thats a massive difference.

Last time we had a suite and this time is a D1 balcony.

how many people are in the cabin

if you do a dummy booking on the RCI site you come up with a price of $5338 which includes the gratuities plus you get a discount of $960 for 2 people....if your booking is for 2 people i would query the price

Ooops, should have given more info.

2 adults and 1 child in D1

1 adult and 1 child in J inside.

We paid $5,328 for 3 in a junior suite and 2 in a J inside in December 2012.

rkmw, can you please see what you come up with that configuration> Myself and the TA both come up with $9,798 but instead of the suite we are in D1

the dummy booking with 3 people comes up at $7207 which includes the gratuities, the 1st 2 people pay $2669 each which includes a discount of $960 for 2 people but no discount for the 3rd person and their fare is $1869

i forgot to include the other cabin, i'll check up on that one too

Edited by rkmw

When I look at another online TA I see a similar amount, before paying for the gratuities, so I would say that was around the right amount. Sounds like your previous trip was a very good special indeed! We have paid about the 5500 for 2 in a JS 3 years ago 12 night trip.

We have noticed the JS is not much of an extra cost on Rhapsody as the JS seems to be less than 20% larger than a D compared to some other ships where the JS is about a third larger than a D roughly.

I don't believe children have a different rate. A pax is a pax as far as I understand.

Edited by kjsmith63

Thank you. Maybe the 2012 was just a really good deal. All our other cruises have been around the price of the upcoming 2015 cruise.

Hi ,

Coiuld be a higher price next year as its rhapsodys last time in Oz and many people will be booking their last cruises on her.

Col:)

Thank you. Maybe the 2012 was just a really good deal. All our other cruises have been around the price of the upcoming 2015 cruise.

A better deal. Prices have been rising consistently since the 2009 season.

That said, prices go up and down (within the uptrend), and it may happen with 2015 too.

I've found in my experience that ships that don't have as many balconies tend to have the most inflated pricing to go up to a balcony level. For example, the P&O ships and Rhapsody have more expensive balcony rooms than ships such as Celebrity Solstice, Carnival Spirit and Radiance of the Seas, which are predominantly balconies.

Think it has something to do with them not needing to "subsidise" the cost of having more cheaper rooms such as insides and window rooms.

So if you are looking for better value that may be something worth considering, especially if you are looking for a balcony or suite level room :)

Edited by cruisin-m