Don't take "no" for an answer!

tarps14

Want to give our experience here so others can see NCL does do OBC for price drops after final payment. We are booked into an aft-facing Haven suite for our cruise 05/10-17/14. I noticed a few weeks ago, after final pymt, that the cost of our cabin had dropped by $300. I called my TA (very large online TA) and they called NCL. At first NCL offered us an "upgrade" to a spa suite. Ummm, no, that would be an S9 and we're already in an S6. So the TA went back to NCL explaining this and NCL agreed to the $300 OBC. (On a side note-the TA was very embarassed by the cabin "upgrade" offer and apologized profusely for even passing that info along.)

Then, last night, I see where our cabin had dropped another $300. So first thing this AM I called to see if it could be done again. The TA (not the same rep as the first time) tried the song and dance about NCL doesn't do this after final pymt, yada, yada. I never mentioned having already received one OBC because I didn't want that to automatically delete us from having another. She also tried telling me that there was one cabin level above us still available (S4) and they usually offer an upgrade instead of credit. I said I was aware but we'd rather have the credit. She called NCL and they came back with a $150 OBC offer. Heck yeah I'll take that!

So here is where we stand:

$300 (promo from online TA)

$50 (bonus promo TA)

$150 (promo from NCL for suite)

$300 (first OBC for price drop)

$150 (second credit for another price drop)

$950 total and haven't even boarded yet!

I have it all in writing on NCL letterhead so no worries there. Could this have happened because of the lack of available upgrades? Possibly. YMMV. But, at least try. All they can say is no.

WOW !! This blows my mind.

$950 OBC

How much do you pay for a cruise ??

I know I'm thrifty but I paid less than that for a 7 day cruise to Bermuda last Sept.

I scored a last minute deal for $299pp. With port fee's and tax it still cost less for my cruise than your obc is :eek:

Just curious, did you give up any original perks when you got your adjustments? We are in an aft haven suite in September. Yesterday I got an adjustment that added the UDP and the UBP for Haven guests. I wouldn't want to give that up!

We didn't have to give up anything as this didn't change the original booking in any way. I know for some promos you do have to cancel and rebook to get it but not this time for us. Those tend to be more for promos like you describe above rather than the added OBC ones.

Biker@sea-I'll just say 'a fair amount' and leave it at that. We usually sail the Haven so it ain't cheap. And remember, this OBC limit is a first for us as well. Dumb luck in timing and 'playing the game' so to speak.

Didugger-you have me intrigued with the newest promo. I've read a bit on it but not far enough to see, is this for new bookings only?

Edited by tarps14

The way you got the discount was to cancel the original cruise and rebook the same room at a new price. Had you not changed your reservation, you would still have the $300 OBC. If it's "not the money", how is it about doing what's right? Surely you don't think you should get the $300 OBC and the new lower price?

That is NCL's little trick, they cancel the reservation or "tell you" they had to cancel the reservation but in truth they don't actually cancel it because if they did a NEW booking number would appear since as they say is a NEW reservation. So they tell you they have to cancel the reservation to give you the lower price but in truth they do not. However this is how they get back the OBC money they promise you for booking early. So go back and read what NCL says:

"Book a suite on any 5-night or longer NCL sailing that is at least 9 months or greater prior to sailing date and receive $300 in onboard credit."

So by me booking 9 months in advance NCL promises to hand me $300 as my reward for advance booking.

The fact is NCL saying they have to cancel the reservation is a lie when you are staying in the same room. You only need to cancel if you're actually making a room/level change.

Again NCL choose to lower the price of my room so to answer your question in this case, yes I should get the $300 OBC and the new lower price. No different if I booked a hotel room and they lowered the price, which has happen, and I received the lower price. It's only good business which NCL doesn't get.

I did not cancelled, I have the same room the same booking number. Just the price of the room dropped by $285. NCL says if you book 9 or more months ahead your reward for them to hold your money is $300 OBC. They choose to lower the price of the room not me. I kept my part of the deal by booking a year ahead they did not keep their part of the deal. It's just a big game that they learned to play very well. I'm only down $15 so it's not the money with me it's about doing what's right it's how you build loyalty.

How did NCL not "keep their part of the deal" as you said?

They offered you a promotion of $300 OBC if you booked a suite 9 months out. You did and received $300 OBC. They absolutely kept their part of the deal.

Let's say I buy an item at a store, then 9 months later this same item is on sale, should I expect to receive the difference in price? I don't think so...

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

How did NCL not "keep their part of the deal" as you said?

They offered you a promotion of $300 OBC if you booked a suite 9 months out. You did and received $300 OBC. They absolutely kept their part of the deal.

Let's say I buy an item at a store, then 9 months later this same item is on sale, should I expect to receive the difference in price? I don't think so...

They took back the $300 OBC that is how they did not keep their part of the deal.

They took back the $300 OBC that is how they did not keep their part of the deal.

You are free to cancel your cruise in it's entirety and cruise with a different line or take a completely different type of vacation if you don't like the way NCL runs THEIR business. :rolleyes:

You are free to cancel your cruise in it's entirety and cruise with a different line or take a completely different type of vacation if you don't like the way NCL runs THEIR business. :rolleyes:

Good idea, just did, thanks!

And you are not paying the 9 months price so you didn't keep your end of the bargain.

I just had my TA combine an inside cabin (one reservation) with my sons and the S6 suite with 3 people (another reservation) into a 2 Bedroom Family Suite with all 5 of us. Would you consider this a cancel and rebook?

Well I still have the same Booking # (2nd Reservation) and it was definitely a cancel and rebook with all OBC and amenities lost from both original reservations. And will lose the extra points for booking 9 months out.

Edited by peg013

Good idea, just did, thanks!

I'm sure NCL is happy to have one less self-entitled customer to worry about. And they will now get more money for the cabin you just gave up since they won't have to give the new customer any OBC. Sounds like a win-win for NCL! :)

I've seen lots of people bring up this argument on different threads, and it makes no sense to me. It's not uncommon for businesses to offer price adjustments, and what business has ever requested customers pay more? NCL obviously is obviously sometimes generous after final payment so what's the harm in trying? None. I don't see any relevance to your comparison.

Actually, all of the cruise lines state that the final price could increase if fuel prices go too high (fuel supplement). To date, I think only Carnival actually increased the prices a while back but had a lot of customer backlash so they stopped, but any cruise line could if they wanted to.

Okay guys, I feel like this thread I started has evolved into something I didn't intend. Cruizser was only voicing her frustration that the system I made work to my advantage didn't turn out so well for her.

I just don't get the "debate" that sets up on message boards with something that started out very much a positive and simply informational.

Moderator: Can we lock this one down so as to stop this?

All they can say is no.

Your title to the thread is "Don't take no for an answer". You last line is stated above. You stated they said no and you kept pounding, becoming the proverbial "squeaky wheel" until they finally relented in bending their rules to get you off the phone. I just can't understand for the life of me what runs through people's minds these days. :(

As I stated in an earlier post, I wish NCL would get a backbone and stand by their rules. No comps/OBC/free upgrades after final payment date should mean just that!

Edited by Out to sea!

I'm not sure the price drops will ever happen to me, but hey, a girl can dream, right?

Question:

Do you (or anyone else) know how these things affect the commission TA's get? I'm very fond of my TA, and she's worth the loss of an amount of OBC for all the of the little handholding things she does for us that is greatly appreciated by us, but we've never gotten a whole lot of OBC from her.

If the price drops enough for me to qualify, what exactly does it do with her arrangement for a commission? She's worth a lot to me (maybe not $925 worth of OBC :D, but still quite a bit) and unless it's over a certain amount, I wouldn't want it to negatively affect her commission.

That's so sweet of you....