Newbie TA Questions

Jaddy

I am confused on how and when to book the most favorably priced balcony stateroom for a westbound TA leaving Rome on 11/1 (Silhouette) or 11/5 Constellation. I could use some help with a number of questions:

1.) Should I book while we are aboard Equinox starting 3/3? If so should I book a guaranteed room or a specific stateroom? I gather that it is less expensive to just get a category guaranty. If we do book onboard I think I read that we can cancel with a full refund up until final payment date. How do I determine final payment date?

2.) I have seen discussion on this board of different stateroom categories (by number, i.e., 1A, etc.). How does one figure out what those numbers mean?

3.) I think I have seen discussion suggesting, for a TA, to wait until final payment date, and that one should book then because prices on unsold staterooms can decrease, sometimes drastically. How "safe" is this strategy to assure a booking? (We need to connect with friends for 10 days of travel in Italy before our TA).

4.) What is the preferred side of the ship to book for a TA, starboard or port side?

5.) I would appreciate definitive recommendations. What would you do if you were me?

Thanks for your input.

I used to book onboard because Celebrity used to give lots of OBC for longer cruises like TAs. Now they do not so I'm not sure I'd bother booking onboard unless you really have your heart set on a specific cabin. Yes, you can get your full deposit back before final payment and that is generally 75 days before the sail date. If you booked on board the final payment date would be on your invoice.

Regarding categories of cabins, go to the Celebrity website (or any other) and study the deck plans. Generally speaking, on S-class ships, all the balcony cabins are the same size...the only difference is forward or aft or what deck they are on. Some balcony cabins have larger balconies. If you are happy with the basic balcony then the cheapest non-obstructed cabin would be a 2B. 2D cabins have obstructed views (lifeboats in front of the balcony) and 2C are partially obstructed meaning they are one deck above the lifeboats so you can't see straight down but you can see straight out. There is a sticky at the top of this board that has great descriptions of S-class cabins.

On the most recent TA I booked, the April Reflection, prices decreased a few times before final and dropped dramatically the first few days after final (Feb 14) and have now gone way back up as the ship is almost full. If I were to book another TA I would monitor the price and book just after final. IMHO

Re what side....I'm happy with either. One side will get morning sun...the other will get great sunsets....

If you book before final payment and are happy with the price you're paying, knowing it might not get better, then book the lowest class cabin you'd be satisfied with. If there's a price drop before final payment, contact Celebrity to claim the lower fare or upgrade yourself to either a same-or-lower priced but higher-class cabin, or pay the difference to switch to a higher-priced (but now lower than what it was) higher-class cabin. (Exceptions: New Bookings Only promotions or if you used a promotion to book-- in the latter case, you might void the promotion.) If there's a price drop after final payment, you can't claim the lower fare, but can still switch cabins-- no refund for switching to a lower-priced cabin, though.

I am confused on how and when to book the most favorably priced balcony stateroom for a westbound TA leaving Rome on 11/1 (Silhouette) or 11/5 Constellation. I could use some help with a number of questions:

1.) Should I book while we are aboard Equinox starting 3/3? If so should I book a guaranteed room or a specific stateroom? I gather that it is less expensive to just get a category guaranty. If we do book onboard I think I read that we can cancel with a full refund up until final payment date. How do I determine final payment date?

2.) I have seen discussion on this board of different stateroom categories (by number, i.e., 1A, etc.). How does one figure out what those numbers mean?

3.) I think I have seen discussion suggesting, for a TA, to wait until final payment date, and that one should book then because prices on unsold staterooms can decrease, sometimes drastically. How "safe" is this strategy to assure a booking? (We need to connect with friends for 10 days of travel in Italy before our TA).

4.) What is the preferred side of the ship to book for a TA, starboard or port side?

5.) I would appreciate definitive recommendations. What would you do if you were me?

Thanks for your input.

Normally, I would just wait to book until September or October to take advantage of the price crashes (50%+) that happen after final payment date... (just use 75 days prior to embark)

...but, with your situation of having definite plans to meet others for a pre cruise vacation in Italy, it would certainly be to your advantage to book while on board Equinox.

That way, you have guaranteed dates to plan around, and you also get to take advantage of ridiculously low one way flights from MSP through Choice Air. (do the domestic air return leg from FL on your own, separately)

After you book onboard to take advantage of the perks Celebrity offers, you can transfer your reservation to your travel agent to get even MORE perks. (onboard credit, prepaid gratuities, specialty dining, etc.)

You have to decide if you prefer the newer, larger "S Class" Silhouette, or the older, smaller "M Class" Constellation...

...and which of the itineraries you prefer. (Agadir, Morocco on Connie would be really cool, but I LOVE Silhouette)

You should spend a little time studying the ships' deck plans to learn the different cabin classes/locations and which ones you want/need. (maybe do a Cruise Critic cabin crawl on your Equinox cruise!)

No matter what cabin you book, there's a 90%+ chance there will be SOME price drops prior to FPD, but you have to watch for them and call to get them.

The BIG price drops come AFTER FPD, and that's where you can take advantage of cabin upgrades as opposed to refunds of the price you paid.

On this April's Silhouette T/A, people have upgraded to a CC Balcony for basically the same price they originally paid for an Ocean View cabin.

Enjoy your tour of Italy AND your cruise!

Edited by teecee60

1.) Should I book while we are aboard Equinox starting 3/3? If so should I book a guaranteed room or a specific stateroom? I gather that it is less expensive to just get a category guaranty. If we do book onboard I think I read that we can cancel with a full refund up until final payment date. How do I determine final payment date? As others stated, final payment date is generally 75 days prior to the cruise. Stateroom guaranties are not always available, but if they are, then - yes - they are cheaper. With Celebrity, if you book a guarantee, you should find out your cabin with a week or two (sometimes sooner) and if you are not satisfied with the cabin location, then you can change it.

2.) I have seen discussion on this board of different stateroom categories (by number, i.e., 1A, etc.). How does one figure out what those numbers mean? If you look at deck plans, you get a good sense of the different categories. Price differences are based on location.

3.) I think I have seen discussion suggesting, for a TA, to wait until final payment date, and that one should book then because prices on unsold staterooms can decrease, sometimes drastically. How "safe" is this strategy to assure a booking? (We need to connect with friends for 10 days of travel in Italy before our TA). When to book is always a gamble. Some cabins never come down in price and, in fact, frequently the price goes UP. There is no way of knowing if and when prices might come down. The other disadvantage of waiting is the inability to get a cabin satisfactory to your needs or desired location.

4.) What is the preferred side of the ship to book for a TA, starboard or port side? Personal preference. Note however that the smoking sections are usually on port side on Celebrity. If you book port and are bothered by the smoke, then you are better off on a higher deck.

5.) I would appreciate definitive recommendations. What would you do if you were me? I would book on the ship for the onboard credit. You can transfer the booking to a travel agent when you get home (or give the Celebrity booking agent your travel agent's name. They will transfer the booking immediately. Your travel agent might have additional perks, promotions, etc. that you can take advantage of.

Thanks for your input.

Enjoy your cruise

Enjoy your cruise

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies to my OP. Now here are a couple of follow up questions. What website do you follow to check on stateroom pricing on a day to day basis? It also sounds like some of you are able to check on inventory of available staterooms on a current basis. How and where do you do that? Lastly, I have seen references to Celebrity Tuesday sales. How can I access this information?

In addition to the above, if there are any other tracking sources you use, please share them with me.

Thank you.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies to my OP. Now here are a couple of follow up questions. What website do you follow to check on stateroom pricing on a day to day basis? It also sounds like some of you are able to check on inventory of available staterooms on a current basis. How and where do you do that? Lastly, I have seen references to Celebrity Tuesday sales. How can I access this information?

In addition to the above, if there are any other tracking sources you use, please share them with me.

Thank you.

The Tuesday Specials can be found here:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

The other tracking sites cannot be posted here, it is against the rules. You can do price checks by pretending to do a booking on Celebrity's website.

If I were you, I would book the lowest price cabin you are comfortable with and then upgrade to a better cabin after final payment.

I just use the Celebrity site to check for price decreases, although there are 'fishy' sites that say they will check for you for $1.00 per cruise. I don't trust them and just check myself. Here is the link to the Tuesday Specials, usually posted on the Friday before: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1999204

There is a site that shows many/most/all of the available cabins; it's German but we are not allowed to post the name here.

I have used the "fishy" site before....but found for our last cruise that they didn't post a senior discount even though I had paid to have that category monitored. I emailed the company about the oversight and never heard back. If this site were free that would be different. I think you are better off monitoring it yourself. On both X's site and other big agencies for different/better perks.