Hellesylt-Geiranger Confusion

NellieVA

I feel stupid asking, but we are visiting Hellesylt-Geiranger on 26 August 2014, on board the MSC Orchestra. The MSC website (shocker) has no detailed information, but as best I can tell, these are two different ports. Our itinerary shows an arrival time of 08:00 and departure time of 17:30. If anyone has completed this itinerary before, does the Orchestra dock at Hellesylt at 08:00 and then, at some point during the day, sail down to Geiranger, with a "final" sailing from Geiranger at 17:30?

I'm trying to plan an excursion for that day, and am thoroughly confused. If anyone has recommendations for what to do on that day, based on the above itinerary, I'd very much appreciate it.

I don't know specifically about MSC, but I've known other lines stop off at Hellesylt and drop passengers for an all day tour from there, and immediately up anchor and on to Geiranger. Assuming non-tour passengers get the chance to get off, you could always have a quick look round HJellesylt and then get the ordinary Norwegian ferry to Geiranger. The ship's tenders will leave from the same dock the ferry arrives at.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else confused about the excursions offered in Hellesylt and Geiranger, Norway? They both seem to offer similar excursions--too expensive to do both! The ship does not appear to drop you in Hellesylt and pick you up in Geiranger as some suggest. Would be interested in what others are doing.

Is anyone else confused about the excursions offered in Hellesylt and Geiranger, Norway? They both seem to offer similar excursions--too expensive to do both! The ship does not appear to drop you in Hellesylt and pick you up in Geiranger as some suggest. Would be interested in what others are doing.

Which excursions are offered?

The ship will visit Hellesylt and Geiranger:

Fri 20/06/14 Hellesylt (Sunnylvsfjord) / Norway 08:00 10:00

Fri 20/06/14 Geiranger (Geirangerfjord) / Norway 12:00 18:00

Hellesylt is at the mouth of the Geirangerfjord.

Last year when I sailed here Costa did the quick stop for drop off. There was no problem if you wanted to get off by yourself, there was just a warning that it was quick stop.

Personally I would not do it, there is not much to the village. Enjoy the trip down to Geiranger and do the hike up to Losta.