Need help with Taormina (Sicily)

llarsen

Jim and Stan - it is more travel sickness than fear of heights!

Where did your tenders dock? Kissing Seahorses has said we can only go from Messina port but we tender into Giardini-Naxos. Gorgeous photo by the way. :)

We have never tendered into Giardini-Naxos personally, but we understand that it lies just over 4 miles Southwest of the foot of the cable car.

data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,-bb0-_qQ57gskNapjHuyQTMZ5F10SjSfmRtag2kNnWmddXH-DsWtPhTHSsgNCdI8oFvYC5Am4n764XmEqjly8S7wMoTg3MsIOn02Zreb82LHXktt_obLtX5Lq803rf3VywrJplH1e9W39DMSG6ZJQJdUFdV4NHmsa17I-QMnmrXgJvX6NIziRIZHY_0IH3EEcUlIsI6etk-Jnp_6LhTAccOMan7luJhG07yuKxZXaG6MqdKNMJeNIn79yWAF0DXMRC9w0L27QZU_oLH1IMODbWnUouGgsJW4nQ3XKhiaPwjEPFaEVKaiqsGaPM0&h=256&w=256large_446670-338778-010-1307802333.jpg

Yes, sorry, I did mean "scarce" not "scare" I just thought it might be nice to have lunch in Taormina. I know there is a fabulous hotel there. So not possible if I take the morning transfers. But if it's easier to just get on the ship transfers, which cost a fortune, then that's what we might do.

BTW, my TA told me that the taxi drivers went nuts with not being able to earn any money with the ship's transfers, so they've stopped that, except as a shore excursion. No more shuttles running back and forth.

So I'm still thinking about whether to cancel the transfer excursion of "Taormina on your own", and try for a taxi and be able to stay longer or not.

One poster said there are plenty of taxis, and another says there aren't! Go figure.

One poster said there are plenty of taxis, and another says there aren't! Go figure.

Perhaps you may find the number of taxis available has something to do with the number of ships docking (or tendering) somewhere on the island (Naxos, Messina, Catania) and total number of passengers that particular day...or whether the month you are visiting is in high or low tourist season...or other similar factors...or other similar factors...

It may pay to reserve a taxi somehow...

Or, as we did, to just hire a driver for the day and have the convenience of being driven to as many places as you want, ie. Savoca, Castelmola, etc., in addition to Taormina...

Taormina is very charming, but you may not want to spend your entire day there...

We'e been to Taormina five or six times and the Tender Dock was usually within 500 yards, but never more than a mile from the bottom of the cable car.

11.1370866031.33-experiencing-taormina-from-the-sea.jpg

I've heard of people coming down the stairs from Taormina to the shore, but never going up.......it is a very long way up, and the stairway is shared with folks riding those Donkeys down AND Italians shepherding Donkeys up for the next paying customer.

The crowds, the smell, and the amount of animal waste, combine to make that staircase not a very pleasant place.

If you worry about heights, take the cable car and close your eyes, it is literally a five minute ride.

Sounds awfully like Santorini ? not Taormina :confused:

In Giardini-Naxos you can pick up the local bus at Via Dalmazia, it takes about 20/25mins into Taormina, they run pretty frequently check: http://www.interbus.it/ the return fare is around 3 euros.

Edited by Alan_2504
more info

The cable car and stairway etc are only if the ship goes into the Messina port, if you tender into Giardini-Naxos, the only choice is taxi or shuttle bus.

Some confusion here ? Messina is 32miles from Taorimina :confused:

Edited by Alan_2504

Sounds awfully like Santorini ? not Taormina :confused:

In Giardini-Naxos you can pick up the local bus at Via Dalmazia, it takes about 20/25mins into Taormina, they run pretty frequently check: http://www.interbus.it/ the return fare is around 3 euros.

We were there in April on a Sunday and the bus was non-existent so be aware of the time of year and day of the week.

WE docked in Messina in 2011 on a HAL cruise and arranged a tour to Taormina and Castelmola with Sicily Limousine Service. Cost was 260 euro for 6 persons in a Mercedes mini van. The driver picked us up at the dock, spoke excellent English and took us on a great tour. This is the tour description: Our tour will start by picking you up from the port; we will enjoy a drive through wonderful scenery with photo stops at the most beautiful locations. We will visit together the beautiful Piazza Belvedere (Lookout square) where you will have a breathtaking view of Isolabella (Beautiful island) and the Messina coast line. We will drive up to the charming medieval village of Castelmola with a stop at Madonna della Rocca where you will enjoy an extraordinary view of the Greek Theatre, the Church of Madonna della Rocca and the antique 13th century Arab castle, situated on the highest and most panoramic place in the area. We will explore in Castelmola picturesque streets with an amazing view of Mount Etna and we will stop at the famous Bar Turrisi where you can taste the sweet almond wine. Driving down to Taormina you will have free walking time in the town where you can admire the Greek Theatre from the 2nd century A.D. – Palazzo Corvaja , the most beautiful medieval building in town – Duomo di Taormina - the San Nicolò Cathedral square and Corso Umberto where you can do excellent shopping. We will take you back to your port at your most convenient time.

This is the link to their web page: http://www.sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/Shore_excursion_Port.asp?topic=33&uid=112760642084208#!/pages/Sicily-Limousine-Service/112760642084208

Unless you are docking in the port where the cable car goes to, I would recommend using a tour company and perhaps using your Roll Call to see if there is anyone else interested in joining you.

Its a lovely area so enjoy.

Allan

Thank you everyone! My Search button has not been working and I could not find my post to respond until now.

If Oceania docks at Giardini Naxos, is it possible to take the cable car?

Thanks again