Expectations for new cruisers

I see a lot of opinions and expectations from a lot of people on this forum. Some expect everthing form totally being served and waited on like the president to others who could care less about protocols, rules, or others. I've sailed Carnival twice, both times there were major problems( passengers unable to leave ship in Belize and major vibration/propulsion problems) but overall they were good cruises. I think the cruise lines contribute to this feeling of everything always being upper limit with their unrealistic sales pitches. For what it's worth here's my guide to a stress free trip for newbees based on my experiances. 1. Expect long lines and wait times at embarkation and debarkation. If you get lucky and get right on board or off, that's a bonus. I'm not missing a whole lot whether I get on at 12 or 3. 2. Unless you're willing to pony up for extra $ in specialty resturants, expect average food in the MDR and Windjammer. It appears lines are moving away from providing the gormet, best quality, in the regular fare but it's usually as good as you'll find in resturants and buffets on shore. 3. Your cabin attendant is not an indentured servant. I keep expections to a clean room, minor requests (ie:ice in a bucket occasionally) and having a pleasant place to retire to after the day. 4. There are kids on these ships. Some get out of control. I've seen everything from hogging hot tubs and being run over in the halls to teens groping and almost having sex in public nooks and crannies. They're not my kids so unless they are bothering me directly, I pass it off. It's a big ship and you can usually find a spot to relax. 5. The ship will have sales pitches continually. I just turn a deaf ear. Bottom line is, unless you are in the upper class of cabins, eat only in specialty resturants, and frequent the spa, you won't be treated like a king and queen. If you're there just to relax, hopefully enjoy what is offered and keep issues to a minimum unless it effects your health or well being. Best word I can use is patience, patience, patience.;)

Very nicely said. Somebody told me something many years ago when I started traveling regularily. "There are always going to be issues when you travel. Lines will be long, kids will be disruptive and things may not go as planned. But you always have to say to yourself that you are lucky enough to be healthy and able to afford to go on vacation so just let those things roll of your back and smile. Your vacation is what YOU make it so enjoy ALL of it. Remember that you could be at work instead."

That converstion has always stuck with me and has made me make the best of every part of all of my vacation even if things are not perfect.

Nicely said.

We are going on our second cruise in April. The first time around, I was so stressed about everything that I couldn't relax.

I plan on relaxing this time around and going with the flow...

I believe you are right-the cruise lines are somewhat at fault, however, I have seen people act this way on land vacations also.

A smile to the staff goes a long way. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. ;)

The really bad thing about the Belize incident is that Carvinal staff out and out lied. They blamed no tenders on a general strike. Turned out it was a dispute betwwen Carnival and the operaters over contract issues. Other lines were serviced.