Info from anyone who has been to the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh

wags

We are sailing the British Isles on the OP in August. We want to go to the Tattoo but need some info. Because of a serious back problem my daughter would like to know if the seats at the castle are backless benches or stadium seats with backs and armrests. Also, if rain ponchos are necessary can you buy them outside the castle?

They're stadium type seats, with seats that fold up when not in use. Don't remember seeing rain ponchos being sold. Why not just take one along with you just in case? We did see foam cushions being rented. We took small blankets (the kind you get when you donate to a charity) and ended up sitting on them, to add comfort and warmth.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The foam cushions rent for 1 pound (Or at least that was the price this past August). Also the seating was updated using the seating from the London Summer Olympics. I think there were backs, but I don't remember because we were on the edge of our seats the whole time. My DH has back & leg trouble and he was okay.

However, It is an uphill climb over cobblestone streets to get there. Our guide took us on an easy pace, but that is something to keep in mind if mobility is an issue.

I think she will be able to manage the walk OK. She was worried about sitting for hours with no back support. We'll bring rain ponchos with us. Thank you all for your replies.

Hi

Just a tip about seats. The highest seats are very high which may be a consideration if someone doesn't like heights or finds it difficult to walk up a lot of steps. Also, the higher you sit, the longer it takes to get out of the arena as they let one row out at a time, starting with the lowest row. We sat about mid way along the side and about half way up and found that a very good position in the price bracket we paid. Seats at the end of the arena and the corners are more expensive as they face the castle. Wrap up warmly as it does get cool when the sun drops down.

The seats are hard plastic so you will need some sort of padding. We took blow up cushions, like you get in camping shops, with us as we didn't realise you could hire the foam ones.

Someone on our roll call arranged a private transfer so we bought the tickets ourselves, £42 I think, and paid £18 return for the coach to the ship at Greenock. A lot cheaper than the Princess tour.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy the Tattoo! We went last year and it was fantastic. Good advice about dressing warmly. How long will you be in Edinburgh? We were not on a cruise or tour so had 4 days there. We used the HOHO sightseeing bus to get around the city and found it very convenient.

Please bring your poncho. They don't allow umbrellas, even when waiting in line to get into the venue. It was sprinkling when we arrived and waited for the gates to open. The guards were very strict about telling each umbrella user to stop. Lucky for us, the rain ended once we were seated.

Be prepared for it to be chilly and damp. We brought gloves and hats and they were appreciated. This is another reason to "rent" the seat cushions. They were very easy to return in big bins on your way out.

Also, bring your binoculars. if you have a compact pair, all the better.

This was an AWESOME experience for us and I hope your visit to the Tattoo is the same.

Really! Hats and gloves in mid-August? Thanks for the tip about binoculars. I wouldn't have thought of that. I can understand about no umbrellas inside the castle grounds but not waiting on line in the rain. We will definitely bring ponchos. I have learned so much from all of you. Thanks!