NCL OnBoard Booking Future Cruise

kurukthemal

Can someone explain this to me? I am a college grad, but I can't figure this one out. :-) Thanks!!

"NCL allows passengers to make a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards deposit to reserve a cabin on a sailing of six days or longer and gives them each $100 in instant onboard credit, meaning you use the credit on your current sailing. While onboard, you can make up to four deposits toward future cruises, and you have four years to pick your sailing date before the deposit expires. You can even charge the deposit to your onboard account. Deposits, minus the $100 in instant onboard credit, are refundable within 30 days."

When I was on Epic, this is how I understood it.

$250 credit goes towards future cruise

$100 towards your current OBC

It's transferrable too, I believe.

Edited by DedeM
it's not really like $350 in your pocket, so I deleted that

I have purchased several of these. Essentially, you are purchasing a $250 deposit for only $150. Your on board account is charged $250 but then NCL will credit you back with $100 in credit. You don't get anything "free". However, it is a great deal as you can use the cruise credit as a deposit on any cruise instead of the normal amount.

Look at it as $100 off your next cruise and you don't have to put up as much money to make a reservation. Hope this helps.

While on your cruise you "buy" a future cruise credit. Your on board acct is "charged" $250.

But wait... Your on board acct receives a credit of $100 for you to spend on board.

Net: $150

But wait...

You get home and plan your next cruise. You call NCL and they reserve your next cruise with the FCC which is $250 toward the price. This is usually the full deposit. Suites may require more of a deposit. Haven especially.

Good for 4 years. Hoping others verify all is still the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have purchased several of these. Essentially, you are purchasing a $250 deposit for only $150. Your on board account is charged $250 but then NCL will credit you back with $100 in credit. You don't get anything "free". However, it is a great deal as you can use the cruise credit as a deposit on any cruise instead of the normal amount.

Look at it as $100 off your next cruise and you don't have to put up as much money to make a reservation. Hope this helps.

^ This

What is nice is when NCL wants a 500.00 deposit, you only have to use your FCC and they will be able to see that you have one on their computer system. But as said, if you book a suite for your next cruise, then it is just $250.00 toward your next cruise and you pay the remaining deposit.

For instance we used our certificate toward a 2bdrm Suite for 5 of us. The required deposit was $2000.00. The first $250.00 was paid with the certificate and the other $1750.00 we had to come up with.

Okay - let me know if this is correct:

Current cruise - pay $250 and get $250 for a future cruise and immediate $100 for current cruise

So, the discount is more for the current cruise and not necessarily the future cruise? Yes/No?

Current cruise - pay $250 and get $250 for a future cruise and immediate $100 for current cruise

So, the discount is more for the current cruise and not necessarily the future cruise? Yes/No?

Think of it this way, you are essentially paying $250 in advance as a deposit for your next cruise taken within 4 years. NCL places the $250 charge on your account and also a $100 credit, so you have a net charge of $150. But when you book your next cruise, the full $250 will be on file for deposit.

You are paying $150 for a $250 voucher. Great value and worth it. Do NOT think of it as extra money to spend on the cruise you are on. NCL keeps advertising it that way but you already got the discount on the reward certificate you just bought. Bottom line you are charged $150. Go home and you have something actually worth $250.

You are paying $150 for a $250 voucher. Great value and worth it. Do NOT think of it as extra money to spend on the cruise you are on. NCL keeps advertising it that way but you already got the discount on the reward certificate you just bought. Bottom line you are charged $150. Go home and you have something actually worth $250.

First, thank you for the responses...greatly appreciated. I think I get it now, but am sure I will still have questions on board. Thanks again!

Just a bit of info I just learned. If you book a cruise within 45 days of returning from an NCL cruise they will let you buy the $250 credit for your deposit and give you $75 OBC towards the cruise you are booking, so $75 net savings. Still a good deal if you want to book something and forgot to get the FCC onboard.

Just a bit of info I just learned. If you book a cruise within 45 days of returning from an NCL cruise they will let you buy the $250 credit for your deposit and give you $75 OBC towards the cruise you are booking, so $75 net savings. Still a good deal if you want to book something and forgot to get the FCC onboard.

This is great!

While on your cruise you "buy" a future cruise credit. Your on board acct is "charged" $250.

But wait... Your on board acct receives a credit of $100 for you to spend on board.

Net: $150

But wait...

You get home and plan your next cruise. You call NCL and they reserve your next cruise with the FCC which is $250 toward the price. This is usually the full deposit. Suites may require more of a deposit. Haven especially.

Good for 4 years. Hoping others verify all is still the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So bottom line is that Norweigan is "giving" you an immediate $100 OBC for buying a $250 deposit for a future cruise?

So bottom line is that Norweigan is "giving" you an immediate $100 OBC for buying a $250 deposit for a future cruise?

No, what actually happens is your on board account is charged $150 and when you book another cruise you get credit for $250. You will never get $100 to spend on board.

It sounds better to tell folks they are getting $100 on board credit, but it is never there. You will get the $100 value when you book another cruise.

This makes sense to me...I get $100 OBC.

And the $250 I paid will be a credit towards my future cruise.

To think of it as "you're paying $150 for a $250 credit on your future cruise" can sound a bit confusing.

What if we chose not to book a future cruise...what will be refunded? $250 of course...BTW is it refundable?

What if we chose not to book a future cruise...what will be refunded? $250 of course...BTW is it refundable?

Not correct. You will receive a refund of $150 because that's your net cost. From NCL's Terms and Conditions for the Freestyle Cruise Rewards (my bold):

4. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are refundable only within 30 days of purchase, in the amount paid minus the amount of the instant $100 shipboard credit.

For full T&C, see link:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CruiseRewardsTC

Not correct. You will receive a refund of $150 because that's your net cost. From NCL's Terms and Conditions for the Freestyle Cruise Rewards (my bold):

4. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are refundable only within 30 days of purchase, in the amount paid minus the amount of the instant $100 shipboard credit.

For full T&C, see link:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CruiseRewardsTC

Thank you for the clarification!

Oh my gosh...I hope someone from NCL is reading this thread. I have now traveled on DCL and RCL. There is no question DCL has the easiest and best program. I am hoping to sit down with someone on the ship in August, as I want to do NCL in Hawaii in 2015. They need to make this program easier. Thanks for all the insights!

Oh my gosh...I hope someone from NCL is reading this thread. I have now traveled on DCL and RCL. There is no question DCL has the easiest and best program. I am hoping to sit down with someone on the ship in August, as I want to do NCL in Hawaii in 2015. They need to make this program easier. Thanks for all the insights!

It's really very simple if you don't overthink it. Forget everything that you've read about OBC and think about the FCR this way:

You buy an FCR that has a face value of $250. The FCR is good as a deposit for a cabin (not per person but for the whole cabin) with the exception of higher-end suites that require a little on top of the FCR. When you book your next cruise, the FCR will serve as your deposit and will reduce your total expense for the cruise by $250.

You pay $150 for the FCR, which means that you're getting a $100 discount on the face value of the FCR.

That's it. Simple.

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-rewards

Put down $250 deposit for future cruise. Receive $100 Onboard credit for the cruise you are presently on. To spend any way you like. Right??? Sounds free to me.

Yes, but don't forget you do have a $250 charge on your account as well. I guess it depends on how you want to spend this $100 discount. I would rather not run out and spend an extra $100 that I might not have otherwise and just have a net charge for $150 at the end of the day. That way, I am actually getting $100 off on my NEXT cruise fare rather than giving NCL an extra $100 of my money on this cruise.