Is it too hot/crowded for Venice/Greece/Turkey/Croatia on July 19-August 2?

allisons

We've been reviewing the 2015 Mediterranean itineraries. We found the perfect itinerary (Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, Athens, Santorini, Istanbul, Mykonos, Ephesus, Rhodes, Venice). However, it's only offered one time on July 19-August 2. Our plan was to cruise May/June or September/October because of the heat and crowds during July and August. Is it too hot and crowded to even consider this itinerary during this timeframe? Thank you so much!

We've been reviewing the 2015 Mediterranean itineraries. We found the perfect itinerary (Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, Athens, Santorini, Istanbul, Mykonos, Ephesus, Rhodes, Venice). However, it's only offered one time on July 19-August 2. Our plan was to cruise May/June or September/October because of the heat and crowds during July and August. Is it too hot and crowded to even consider this itinerary during this timeframe? Thank you so much!

It is going to be hot...it is summer there as well,BUT if you found a cruise you really like then just grin and bear it and go...they don't come up all that often.Wear light clothes, drinl lots of water,wear sunscreen and enjo..you will be fine.Oh, and it will be crowed,but it can be crowded in the Fall just as much...so again go and enjoy.

It is going to be hot...it is summer there as well,BUT if you found a cruise you really like then just grin and bear it and go...they don't come up all that often.Wear light clothes, drinl lots of water,wear sunscreen and enjo..you will be fine.Oh, and it will be crowed,but it can be crowded in the Fall just as much...so again go and enjoy.

Wow! Thank you! That is not the response I expected! Now I really have to think about it!

You have to know yourself.

Chances are very good it will be hot and very likely miserably hot.

When I am traveling in the Med, I usually am outside looking at (or scrambling around) rocky ruins in little shade. I know that I do not hold up well touring in such conditions. Since I can choose my travel times, I would never choose to travel in the Med in summer if I can help it.

However, if the heat doesn't bother you as much and if you take it easy (e.g., air-conditioned museums, private driver or coach with a/c) you may be fine.

The other issue is the crowds. It really does make a huge difference trying to sightsee in places like the Vatican museum/Sistine chapel in the off-season versus peak season. I just visited the Vatican museum on March 2nd. While it is never empty, the crowds were manageable (not wall-to-wall) and I was even able to find a seat in the Sistine chapel within a minute of entering.

You have to know yourself.

Chances are very good it will be hot and very likely miserably hot.

When I am traveling in the Med, I usually am outside looking at (or scrambling around) rocky ruins in little shade. I know that I do not hold up well touring in such conditions. Since I can choose my travel times, I would never choose to travel in the Med in summer if I can help it.

However, if the heat doesn't bother you as much and if you take it easy (e.g., air-conditioned museums, private driver or coach with a/c) you may be fine.

The other issue is the crowds. It really does make a huge difference trying to sightsee in places like the Vatican museum/Sistine chapel in the off-season versus peak season. I just visited the Vatican museum on March 2nd. While it is never empty, the crowds were manageable (not wall-to-wall) and I was even able to find a seat in the Sistine chapel within a minute of entering.

This is exactly what we're thinking! This is exactly how we are! We are sightseers, walkers, hikers, etc. When we were in Alaska last summer, we were outside all day, every day, walking miles each day. That was fine in weather that was in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, overcast, and drizzly. That would have been miserable in hot, humid, sunny weather. We are big photographers. Huge crowds would ruin our pictures.

It sounds like you looking at any excuse NOT to go so I would say don't go.You have been give some advise on both boards you posted on and it seems still looking at the negative.I don't know where you live or if you have been to Europe before,but summer is summer in most places(hot) and you are used to Alaska which is so different and the Caribe in winter..different still.Until you see a cruise that you jist can't pass up and all is positive I would wait.Just my two cents worth.

We have been on Med cruises the last two summers. It has been hot and crowded..... and we had such a great time we are looking to go again this summer. I have close to 6,000 pictures from the two trips. We are in our 50s and walked several miles in Athens and Turkey on days last summer. Drank lots of H2O.

It sounds like you looking at any excuse NOT to go so I would say don't go.You have been give some advise on both boards you posted on and it seems still looking at the negative.I don't know where you live or if you have been to Europe before,but summer is summer in most places(hot) and you are used to Alaska which is so different and the Caribe in winter..different still.Until you see a cruise that you jist can't pass up and all is positive I would wait.Just my two cents worth.

We live in Maryland near Washington, DC. It is very hot and humid here in the summer. It is very crowded in DC in the summer. It is miserable. We don't do much outside. When we have company in the summer and we have to do the tourist stuff, it is uncomfortable. We have not been to Europe. We have been to England in August, but it was not hot. We are very torn. We planned to go to Europe in May/June or September/October. We planned to avoid July and August. We have not found a "perfect" itinerary during the timeframes we were looking. We saw this itinerary. It is "perfect." Unfortunately, it is only offered once, during July/August. We researched online and all of the conventional wisdom and insider advice is to go in spring or fall and avoid summer. We posted on these boards looking for real-life experience. Honestly, we hoped that someone would say, "Eh, it's not bad, it's not that hot, it's not that crowded, don't worry, you'll be fine." But so far people are either saying, "Definitely don't go then, it's way too hot/crowded." or "You should go ahead and go then, but it will be extremely hot/crowded, so be prepared by carrying an umbrella and bringing tons of water/sunscreen/hats." So, I guess that does make us lean towards not going. But that doesn't mean that our question wasn't genuine or that we were "looking for an excuse NOT to go" or "still looking at the negative."

We have been on Med cruises the last two summers. It has been hot and crowded..... and we had such a great time we are looking to go again this summer. I have close to 6,000 pictures from the two trips. We are in our 50s and walked several miles in Athens and Turkey on days last summer. Drank lots of H2O.

Huh! That is very helpful! Do you have any schedule restrictions that force you to confine your trips to the summer? Would you purposefully choose summer over spring/fall?

DW is a teacher so go when there is no school. What might drive me to spring/fall is that prices seem to be lower and we could do more travelling. One the other hand, one thing that goes with the heat is blue skies for pictures. Here is a link to some of our pictures from last summer.

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

DW is a teacher so go when there is no school. What might drive me to spring/fall is that prices seem to be lower and we could do more travelling. One the other hand, one thing that goes with the heat is blue skies for pictures. Here is a link to some of our pictures from last summer.

Wow! Your pictures are beautiful! Thank you for sharing! It makes me so excited to go!

I just noticed that you live in Columbia! We live in Rockville! I grew up in Owings Mills! It's such a small world! I know some Kaufmans from the Baltimore area. I have to think of first names, ages, etc. My maiden name is Silverblatt. I recently connected with one of my parents' friends on here.

We live in Maryland near Washington, DC. It is very hot and humid here in the summer. It is very crowded in DC in the summer. It is miserable. We don't do much outside. When we have company in the summer and we have to do the tourist stuff, it is uncomfortable. We have not been to Europe. We have been to England in August, but it was not hot. We are very torn. We planned to go to Europe in May/June or September/October. We planned to avoid July and August. We have not found a "perfect" itinerary during the timeframes we were looking. We saw this itinerary. It is "perfect." Unfortunately, it is only offered once, during July/August. We researched online and all of the conventional wisdom and insider advice is to go in spring or fall and avoid summer. We posted on these boards looking for real-life experience. Honestly, we hoped that someone would say, "Eh, it's not bad, it's not that hot, it's not that crowded, don't worry, you'll be fine." But so far people are either saying, "Definitely don't go then, it's way too hot/crowded." or "You should go ahead and go then, but it will be extremely hot/crowded, so be prepared by carrying an umbrella and bringing tons of water/sunscreen/hats." So, I guess that does make us lean towards not going. But that doesn't mean that our question wasn't genuine or that we were "looking for an excuse NOT to go" or "still looking at the negative."

I moved from Potomac,MD after 30 years to Tucson,AZ 4 years ago...we live here full time...we got to 110 last summer,but it sure as hell beats MD at 95 with the humids.I have been in Rome in Oct when it was so hot and humid it made me miss Potomac so one cannot judge the summer as the only time being hot as well as Spept and Oct can be crowded as we. One cannnot say there is a "season" anymore.I say GO when you find the cruise you really want to take no matter the time.

I moved from Potomac,MD after 30 years to Tucson,AZ 4 years ago...we live here full time...we got to 110 last summer,but it sure as hell beats MD at 95 with the humids.I have been in Rome in Oct when it was so hot and humid it made me miss Potomac so one cannot judge the summer as the only time being hot as well as Spept and Oct can be crowded as we. One cannnot say there is a "season" anymore.I say GO when you find the cruise you really want to take no matter the time.

You're right about dry heat vs. humidity. But I do not do well at all in Arizona or Nevada because of the dryness. I suffer terribly because it's too dry for my skin, nose, throat, eyes, mouth, etc. I have Sjogren's Syndrome.

Havent traveled to Europe in the summer. And I don't plan to….. I would much rather put on a sweater or coat than sweat to death….. its just that if I am hot I want to be at the beach not sightseeing in Rome or Athens….

We prefer to travel off season and so far (after 4 trips there) we have enjoyed them all immensely.

Just a thought…..but have you looked into possibly taking back to back cruises to get the same itinerary ? May not be the ideal situation but could possibly be the answer to your problem. If your ideal cruise is 2 weeks (7-19 to 8-2) you might be able to combine 2 one-week cruises and get the same (or better) itinerary during a time frame of your choice.

Anyway, just a thought.

Havent traveled to Europe in the summer. And I don't plan to….. I would much rather put on a sweater or coat than sweat to death….. its just that if I am hot I want to be at the beach not sightseeing in Rome or Athens….

We prefer to travel off season and so far (after 4 trips there) we have enjoyed them all immensely.

Just a thought…..but have you looked into possibly taking back to back cruises to get the same itinerary ? May not be the ideal situation but could possibly be the answer to your problem. If your ideal cruise is 2 weeks (7-19 to 8-2) you might be able to combine 2 one-week cruises and get the same (or better) itinerary during a time frame of your choice.

Anyway, just a thought.

Thank you! Yes, absolutely! We're looking at B2Bs! Combos of all sorts!

Edited by allisons

Avoid June, July in the Mediteranean sauna like conditions and huge crowds.

August also is very hot in Rome, and the place shuts down to a large degree in August .

September & October are much better months in the Mediteranean, warm temperatures and shoulder peak so crowds are less .

You have 99% chances of finding very hot weather in that area during that time, highs range from 30ºC to easily 40ºC.

Of course it will be very crowded, is the peak of the high season in Europe, and Europeans travel a lot.

The Mediterranean weather in summertime is very stable, chances are you won't see a single cloud in a week. Be prepared because there is no break, even at night temps might range from 20ºC to 25ºC. That's why relaxing and lazy land vacations by the sea and with a good pool are the norm.

You know what you'll find, there is no uncertainty here, it is up to you to decide.

I am very used to that 7 or 8 extreme hot weeks of the Mediterranean, that's why I wouldn't do a cruise that involves a lot of walking in July / August. I'm better off staying home and enjoying the beach.

August also is very hot in Rome, and the place shuts down to a large degree in August .

September & October are much better months in the Mediteranean, warm temperatures and shoulder peak so crowds are less .

Disagree. Early June is perfect, good weather and children still in school. The real heat usually begins around late June, and it does not rain, while in late September and October you never know.

I just noticed that you live in Columbia! We live in Rockville! I grew up in Owings Mills! It's such a small world! I know some Kaufmans from the Baltimore area. I have to think of first names, ages, etc. My maiden name is Silverblatt. I recently connected with one of my parents' friends on here.

Glad you liked the pictures. If you can survive a MD summer, you will probably be OK in the Med. By the way, DW teaches in Pikesville. Does your family come from NY? Back in the early 60s my Dad's business partner was A. Silverblatt.

Since you liked the 2013 pictures, here's the link to 2012. Early July, yes, hot and crowded.

We looked last night and are thinking about Lisbon to London for 2014.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures

Thank you! Avoid June also? I thought June was safe?! So stick to May if we go in the spring?!

You have 99% chances of finding very hot weather in that area during that time, highs range from 30ºC to easily 40ºC.

Of course it will be very crowded, is the peak of the high season in Europe, and Europeans travel a lot.

The Mediterranean weather in summertime is very stable, chances are you won't see a single cloud in a week. Be prepared because there is no break, even at night temps might range from 20ºC to 25ºC. That's why relaxing and lazy land vacations by the sea and with a good pool are the norm.

You know what you'll find, there is no uncertainty here, it is up to you to decide.

I am very used to that 7 or 8 extreme hot weeks of the Mediterranean, that's why I wouldn't do a cruise that involves a lot of walking in July / August. I'm better off staying home and enjoying the beach.

Thank you! That's what we figured! Definitely not going for a lazy beach and pool vacation! Definitely going for sightseeing, touring, walking!

Disagree. Early June is perfect, good weather and children still in school. The real heat usually begins around late June, and it does not rain, while in late September and October you never know.

Thank you! That's perfect! That's exactly what we were thinking! May into early June!