Is cruising really all about the food?

munchkntra

The main reason I cruise is to go see new and interesting places in a vehicle that is fun to be on. I can relax, think, read, enjoy music shows etc.

Food is important, but for us it is the dining experience that is one of the things we like about cruising. Yes, we eat in the buffet occasionally (an often in the afternoon for snacks), but the pleasure of sitting down to a nice leisurely meal being served and sharing a table with new people is important. Having a conversation over dinner or breakfast. Not being in a hurry to wolf down something so I can get back to my computer/TV or whatever is great.

We make it appoint to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR as often as we can jut for that pleasurable experience.

But, that is just the icing on a cake that cruising provides.

I would say no because they offered to put us somewhere and serve us the same food for a week with nothing else to do or see for the same price we wouldn't go. It is a nice addition (14 year old nephew definitely cruises for the food).

I can't say it's for the relaxation because I am dead dog tired when we get home. Probably why we will never get a balcony because we don't stay in the room except to sleep. What's the point?

For me, it's not just about the food--it's about the fun, the relaxation, being with family, the new discoveries, the unusual experiences, the gorgeous water, the new friends, getting in some retail therapy, finding the secluded spots on board your ship, the warm breezes, sunset after beautiful sunset, friendly people, learning about different cultures, trying new things, swimming in the ocean when it's 2° back home, falling asleep at night to the sound of waves, laughing all the time, enjoying talented entertainers, getting pampered in the spa, seeing breathtaking scenery, catching a nap on the balcony, talking to other people in their language, watching dolphins race the ship, taking perfect (or not so perfect) photos, dancing to fabulous music, watching the wake as we cruise out of port...

It's all about making great memories! :D

I would have loved to experience the "old" cruises. I love the very rare occasion I have to experience it now....but since I'm a newbie to the cruising world, will accept that its not like the movies and the books. But then, very little in my world is - so this will just be a new experience to enjoy. I imagine it is harder to accept when accustomed to the white glove treatment of days gone by. Maybe some day I can afford the higher quality/higher cost of the elite cruise lines.

As for the food - I am expecting [from pictures and reviews] an experience slightly above the level of a good/not great restaurant, better than Chili's or Ruby Tuesday. That way, I know I"ll have decent food and if it's great, then that's gravy....well, in a great restaurant, that would most likely be sauce!

Food doesn't even come into the picture when I think about cruising! We never eat in the main dining rooms...the Lido deck buffet is fine with us. I'm actually not a big fan of the food on cruise ships, so I tend to eat most of my meals from the deli. But to each their own...whatever makes the cruise enjoyable for them!

I certainly don't cruise for the food and dining experiences. I'm a picky eater, but I always manage to find something I like to eat and don't go hungry. I don't care for the traditional dining of sitting with a bunch of strangers at a big table for dinner. I just want to enjoy a meal with the person(s) I go on the cruise with. I'm also quite happy with getting something to eat at the buffet and skipping the main dining room.

I cruise because I enjoy being on the ship and I also love to travel and see new places. Not for the food or to make lifelong friends.