Medical release forms?

brentconn

We are leaving on March 15th for a 7 day cruise on the Dream. We are taking my daughter's friend who is 16 years old. Is there any medical release forms I need to have when we board or any others documents? She has a passport.

Thanks

Brent

We are leaving on March 15th for a 7 day cruise on the Dream. We are taking my daughter's friend who is 16 years old. Is there any medical release forms I need to have when we board or any others documents? She has a passport.

Thanks

Brent

Because she is still a minor, you should have a letter of Consent from the Parent(s) stating that you are authorized to take her out of the country, and that you are ok to authorize medical treatment on their behalf.

The letter should indicate:

Your dates of travel (including any before or after the cruise),

What ship you will be sailing on, (and dates if they are different than travel dates)

The ports of call, etc.

You should also quote her Passport number in the letter as well as her full legal name.

If you google travel consent for a minor, a number of sites pop up and there are forms you can customize or just fill-in the blanks.

You should also get it Notarized.

We have done this before, and we were told we needed the letter, but Carnival never asked for it....Cozumel did.

Good Luck, and enjoy your cruise.

AAA has a consent to travel form available-http://www.aaa.com/aaa/006/travel/Minor_Consent.pdf but this doesn't give medical care release.

I found a different one which does give medical release just by a google search http://www.bonniestravelandtours.com/uploads/8/5/0/5/8505264/consentforminorchildrentotravel.pdf

Hope this helps, Happy Sailing!!!

The daughter lives with her mother and step father. Does she need her birth father to sign also? He lives out of state.

Yes unless mom has sole custody . If she has sole custody then proof is also needed. Its a pain, been there done that.

I just got back from a cruise and the customs agent thoroughly reviewed the paperwork along with asking the minor questions.

Edited by runner15km

I had primary custody established years ago and his father decided to fall off the face of the Earth. My attorney and Carnival assured me that with those documents, his state ID and birth certificate, I would not have any problems. Of course, I'm always a victim of Murphys Law so I won't be able to relax until we are on. Most posts I read, they had docs but were never asked for them. Did customs speak with you at embarkation or debarkation? What were they asking? And Cozumel? Wow I thought that was only if you were getting off in Mexico and not getting back on the ship...

I had primary custody established years ago and his father decided to fall off the face of the Earth. My attorney and Carnival assured me that with those documents, his state ID and birth certificate, I would not have any problems. Of course, I'm always a victim of Murphys Law so I won't be able to relax until we are on. Most posts I read, they had docs but were never asked for them. Did customs speak with you at embarkation or debarkation? What were they asking? And Cozumel? Wow I thought that was only if you were getting off in Mexico and not getting back on the ship...

No issue's in Cozumel, the interrogation was at debarkation. They asked my granddaughter her DOB, her middle name, street address with zip and why her mom is not with her.

I'm thinking security was on alert, as we entered the plane TSA agents were at the gate asking for passports and ID's.

I too have traveled, three times, with the DS's friends (all teenagers) and I've never been asked once to show the documents I had with me. Having said that, I would never travel without them! It only takes one time to be asked and not have the proper paperwork to destroy your family's vacation.:eek: Please don't risk not getting the proper paperwork and take a chance. It's worth it, if for nothing else, your piece of mind and heaven forbid something should happen to the child in your care...you will have the authorization to take proper care of that child. It's a big responsibility to take another's child into your care but it's also very rewarding. Our three cruises with the DS's friends were some of our most fun and memorable ones.:D It's a little bit of a pain...but well worth it!;)

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/kw/minor%20child%20travel/session/L3NpZC9HUjQ3Qy10bA%3D%3D

I am wondering why the customs person is asking for it on the return from a cruise.

Also why someone was asked for it in cozumel and who that person who asked was.

If flying to mexico, that is entirely different. You would need it then.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/kw/minor%20child%20travel/session/L3NpZC9HUjQ3Qy10bA%3D%3D

I am wondering why the customs person is asking for it on the return from a cruise.

Also why someone was asked for it in cozumel and who that person who asked was.

If flying to mexico, that is entirely different. You would need it then.

Cozumel asked for it when we went to re-board. Why, I have no idea, as she had her Sail & Sign card with her. Glad we took it into port with us with our passports. :)

There was an increased police presence, so maybe it had to do with something else going on and they were just being cautious.

When we took our daughter's friend, Carnival did not ask for any of the paperwork, but at debarkation, the customs agent did ask for all the paperwork...from her father and mother. He also called her over and asked her quite a few questions. I was glad we had the proper paperwork.