The Plank

English101

I found the Breakaway ropes course experience to be totally excellent, and did it numerous times. :)

Each trip through the course offered the ability to make personal challenges to do some parts more accurately, as well as quicker.

My only reservation was on the third visit when it was time to go out on the plank while docked in Bermuda. It had been quite cool to go out over water (and, of course, that thought creeps into the mind about 'what if' and falling), but when it was done over land, it was a bit more creepy. If I fell over water, I'd surely perish anyway, but while over land any error would just result in them using a squeegee to push the goo off the dock back into the water. :eek:

I look forward to repeating the experience later this year on Getaway.

Lol. GOO! :eek:

I intentionally "jumped" from the plank and only dropped what felt like a few additional inches below the plank itself. It's really only the differential in the slack from your safety harness!
That makes me feel a lot better.

My 7 year old son says he's going to do the ropes course, including the plank. He's tall enough. I'm definitely going to do it with him. For the whole course, are there staff who make you wait and leave space between the person in front, or is it just free for all and I can be right next to my son? If there needs to be space, is it better for me to go in front of him, or behind him?

Also, I'm assuming only one person on the plank at one time. Will see how this goes!

I find it odd there's no NCL staff working the plank!

The fact that the course wasn't even designed to accommodate a staff member at the plank shows how foolproof it is, vs. the staff member assigned to the zip line to prevent more obvious potential problems (though on this course I can't even imagine that being too problematic.) :)

That makes me feel a lot better.

My 7 year old son says he's going to do the ropes course, including the plank. He's tall enough. I'm definitely going to do it with him. For the whole course, are there staff who make you wait and leave space between the person in front, or is it just free for all and I can be right next to my son? If there needs to be space, is it better for me to go in front of him, or behind him?

Also, I'm assuming only one person on the plank at one time. Will see how this goes!

I don't recall anything with the safety track above that would prevent two individuals from simultaneously occupying the plank. The zip line attendee might be keeping his or her eyes on the plank and shout you back if you try (because...you know...it's just not allowed, or something like that), but if possible, I say go for it. I'd keep your son in front just for the father/mother hen of it!

I just remembered , however, a rule I believe is posted, stating in general that two ropers should not occupy any particular element of the course at the same time, so to answer your more general question, you probably would be expected to stay a few yards behind as you move throughout the course.

The fact that the course wasn't even designed to accommodate a staff member at the plank shows how foolproof it is' date=' vs. the staff member assigned to the zip line to prevent more obvious potential problems (though on this course I can't even imagine that being too problematic.) :)[/quote']

True. So, you need to put some momentum into the zipline? Kind of run and jump? So, what's scarier: free fall slide, corkscrew slide (is it called the whip?), of the plank? Lol there IS an attendant at the slide but I assume that's because of the weight and height restrictions, no jewelry, back board and making sure you're ready before the floor drops. Ooohhhh!!! I can't wait for all these thrills!! :eek:

I don't recall anything with the safety track above that would prevent two individuals from simultaneously occupying the plank. The zip line attendee might be keeping his or her eyes on the plank and shout you back if you try (because...you know...it's just not allowed' date=' or something like that), but if possible, I say go for it. I'd keep your son in front just for the father/mother hen of it!

I just remembered , however, a rule I believe is posted, stating in general that two ropers should not occupy any particular element of the course at the same time, so to answer your more general question, you probably would be expected to stay a few yards behind as you move throughout the course.[/quote']

You're right that there is no one manning the Plank. However, you could definitely have two people on it at the same time-- my beau and I have a pic together to prove it! To answer the question on going along with your child, they let it happen (at least on our sailing) esp if the child was young. I'm sure you will be able to stay a few feet behind your child at all times. Keep in mind that there are some parts of the course that are more difficult with two people on it, like if the board is more narrow or has less rope support (rickety? Don't know how to describe it). It also tends to hold the flow up if people huddle altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

True. So, you need to put some momentum into the zipline? Kind of run and jump? So, what's scarier: free fall slide, corkscrew slide (is it called the whip?), of the plank? Lol there IS an attendant at the slide but I assume that's because of the weight and height restrictions, no jewelry, back board and making sure you're ready before the floor drops. Ooohhhh!!! I can't wait for all these thrills!! :eek:

It's kind of a run and "sit", but everyone did whatever. I'm a rule follower though, I wasn't trying to get stuck on that thing!

Mistygurl, if you get stuck, you either try to shimmy your own way down, or eventually they get a really long pole and pull you across! Usually happened to smaller kids who couldn't push off enough or lighter weighing adults.

Good question as to which is the scariest, although it easily comes down to free fall or the plank for most. (corkscrew a distant third) I did four free falls, each time bypassing a guy at the drop zone who kept trying to get his courage up. I'd arrive at the bottom and see his wife patiently awaiting his arrival. Eventually I passed him retracing his steps back down the platform stairs. The irony in it was his NYFD tshirt!

I'm not afraid of open heights, so the free fall gets my vote for freakiest.

I did the plank my hubby said there was no way I would so of course I had to!

It's funny because you pull a string to take your picture I was reaching haha! But I did it I was pretty proud

We also wondered if anyone had slipped turning back around was the hardest part for me

Well my weight certainly won't make me stall on the zip line, I may try that.

The plank, I don't know.... :eek: Those videos! I may need a drink (just one little bitty one) for courage.

The guy in front of me (mid 30's) feel off the plank. He thought he was going to be really cool and jumped straight up. We he came down he slipped off the plank and dropped about 2-3 feet. In my 51 years of living I've never heard a human scream like he did. It was so funny I almost peed my pants, he got himself together and came down.

The guy in front of me (mid 30's) feel off the plank. He thought he was going to be really cool and jumped straight up. We he came down he slipped off the plank and dropped about 2-3 feet. In my 51 years of living I've never heard a human scream like he did. It was so funny I almost peed my pants, he got himself together and came down.
:D

Why does Darwin come to mind?

I literally thought the guy was going to pass out from screaming so much:eek::eek::eek::)

Holy Cr*p!!!!

It would take a FEW shots of vodka to get me to walk it now!!!!!

I might try the ropes course though!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

OMG!!!! Wonder if HE peed in HIS pants! Lol:eek: