Chikungunya Virus

jgperegrine

I have some questions for those who have recently returned from the Eastern Caribbean. Are the ships educating passengers about the Virus? Does anyone know of a cruise ship passenger being affected with the virus?

I don't know how concerned or not I should be, we are leaving on the Silhouette 3/30/14. Thanks for any information.

We were on Silhouette at the end of January when there was more discussion (here only) about the virus. No one on the ship mentioned anything ... and honestly, in my opinion, unless you have a serious underlying health concern, it's a non-issue. Bring the appropriate insect repellant. Keep your body covered (long pants, long sleeved shirt) if you're very concerned.

BTW - we didn't see a single skeeter when we on St Maarten/ St. Martin.

Just back from the Century and had a stop on St Martin. No notices of anything in the daily or anywhere else we could see. Also no mentions of it on shore.

We spent the day at Orient beach and saw no mosquitos. It always seems windy there so that helps keeps the bugs away...

Just back from the Eclipse. The Daily advised the use of insect repellant, but that was the only mention we saw anywhere. We saw no biting insects - we took a boat tour with stops on both the French and Dutch sides of the island.