Newbie and looking for info

Someratc

Hi Everyone. This is my first time actually posting.

We are leaving on our 1st Cruise on Saturday March 15th!!! (6 DAYS!!) on The Oasis of the Seas! And Cannot be more excited. It is just my husband and I. We are leaving the kids at home!.

I have one specific question... We have a coupon for a free specialty dinner but have to reserve when we get onboard. Where do we do that? I have looked but haven't found the exact answer. We would like to do it as soon as we board so it is done..

Also, Any expert tips or advice would be so appreciative! Anything from eats to what to pack to where to go. I am ready to take everyone's advice!!

Thanks all!!!!!

Edited by Someratc

Hi Everyone. This is my first time actually posting.

We are leaving on our 1st Cruise on Saturday March 15th!!! (6 DAYS!!) on The Oasis of the Seas! And Cannot be more excited. It is just my husband and I. We are leaving the kids at home!.

I have one specific question... We have a coupon for a free specialty dinner but have to reserve when we get onboard. Where do we do that? I have looked but haven't found the exact answer. We would like to do it as soon as we board so it is done..

Also, Any expert tips or advice would be so appreciative! Anything from eats to what to pack to where to go. I am ready to take everyone's advice!!

Thanks all!!!!!

Once onboard go directly to the restaurant you want to dine at and walk inside and make your reservation. Some times you will find a card in your cabin with a pre determined time and day that they have chosen for you. If you are unhappy with the day or time it is easy to change by calling or going to the restaurant and making a change. happy cruising. PS.. The same applies to MDR, We always make a stop as soon as we board to check out our dining room table and make a change if we don't like the location or table size. happy cruising

The above poster is correct. But if you are interested in some other info, you can read my review on Allure, Oasis' sister ship. Click the link in my signature. Are you doing the Eastern or Western itin?

We found the food in the MDR to be pretty good! The dining room is enormous and very nice. Room service food is also pretty good. I loved the steak sandwiches. The only specialty dining we did was Vintages (the tapas/wine bar). That venue is a la carte, and very nominal fee.

We are on the western trip.

Thank you all for info. I think we are going to try for chops. My hubby is a meat and potato guy.. :)

I didn't know that about the MDR so that is great to know.. We are away from the kids so would love to have out own table.

Thoughts on being seated with strangers??

Love this board!!

Thank you all for info. I think we are going to try for chops. My hubby is a meat and potato guy.. :)

I didn't know that about the MDR so that is great to know.. We are away from the kids so would love to have out own table.

Love this board!!

Personally we don't like to sit with strangers. I don't like forced small talk. I emailed RCI about a month in advance and asked for a table for two. We got one on the upper level by the railing. It was perfect. The tables are set up so that your backs are to the backs of the neighboring tables. You cannot hear anyones conversations (that is a big pet peeve of mine). You may want to try on the first day, as soon as you make your specialty dining reservation, to go to the dining room and check out your table. Ask nicely if they can switch you to a two top. Might be too late, but worth a try. :)

Have fun!

We want to share a table with others. Since our kids moved out we have had dinner with each other for many years. We have met great people at our tables and there is one couple we met on a cruise in 2006. We have cruised together every year since with a few back to backs (B2Bs). Three times they have driven from Flint MI to our house on the NC coast. Then we drive to our ship in one car. We have also been to Windsor, Canada, Lancaster, PA, Clearwater, FL to see table mates. If you are unhappy with your table or table mates just see the maitre'd and they will move you to another table. Or you can try the any time dining if you don't mind waiting for a table. Then you have different tablemates every night. (We do not like this, we want to have the same waiter who will know what we want every night and we don't have to ask for it.)

We have never had forced small talk. We talk about plans/tours for the next day and what we did that day and just have nice conversations with each other.

You may also make a reservation on your phone in your cabin for specialty restaurants.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Love this board!!

I would suggest that you go to Chops first thing to book your dinner - the specialty restaurants can fill up pretty quickly.

We've always enjoyed sharing a table - we ask for assigned dining so that we will have the same people every evening ( except, of course, that one at the specialty restaurant). We have never failed to enjoy the company of at least one of the couples with us. The fact that you are all enjoying a cruise, are seeing the same ports, and (if you have requested it) the shared table means that you have a fair amount in common. If your first evening shows that you do not like the shared table, you can always switch.