Ship's Doctor/Med Staff and Insurance, etc.

artist47

We had an after hours emergency visit for our DS on the Sun last month. The bill was $148 and charged to our onboard account. I was very impressed with the nurse, the doctor and the facilities. My DH who is in emergency management felt the same.

BTW, we had to call for a wheelchair to take him, but left before they arrived because he started having trouble breathing. Guest services sent someone down to medical to make sure we arrived OK when they did not find us still in the cabin. We thought that very kind and safety conscious.

Do have your Doctor write you a script for antibiotic before you leave. He will know what med. you will need. We always get a script before cruising , just in case.

Thanks all for the kind words, and good advice.

I'm just nervous because I've never cruised with a health issue pending. I am going to take the advice and call my doctor tomorrow and ask for a Rx just in case. I am not one to abuse such things.

I guess what I was worried about was what if the antibiotic doesn't work (unexpected, different strain of bacteria) and I need something different? I'm probably worrying for nothing. But I am glad I asked because so many nice people have responded with the answers to my question and also their experiences. I really appreciate it!

Will toast you all, with my GOOD hand, on sailaway! :)

I had to visit the medical center on a RCCL ship last fall. I have your same insurance.

When I returned home, I submitted my claim. I was told to send it to one department which turned out to be wrong. They let it sit there without sending it to the correct people.

Long story short. Anthem did pay for my claim BUT it took over 4 months to receive my money back.

FYI, I had to see a Dr in St Thomas and have ultrasounds done. Our insurance covered all of that. They took our ins card at the Dr and ultrasound place. Only had to pay co=pays. They filed the claims. Thanks goodness I was in a US procession when I had to get ultrasounds.

When you spoke to your insurance did you verify that you do not have to contact them before receiving care. My insurance has to be called before they will cover anything.

This information I got second hand from a lady, that was on the Epic, with a sick child. I met her on shore in Costa Maya. So I don't know how accurate this is and someone on here with experience may be able to respond to this.

Her child had an ear infection (or so she presumed). She was going to go to the ship's doctor but was told they will not prescribe antibiotics. Since you are afraid of infection, I thought that information may be of interest to you.

This is not true... I was on the Epic and had a BAD sore throat, went to the ship's doctor & was diagnosed with tonsillitis. I was prescribed, & given on the spot, pain killers & antibiotics. Maybe they won't give children antibiotics, but I was prescribed & given antibiotics via the ship doctor on the epic.

This is not true... I was on the Epic and had a BAD sore throat, went to the ship's doctor & was diagnosed with tonsillitis. I was prescribed, & given on the spot, pain killers & antibiotics. Maybe they won't give children antibiotics, but I was prescribed & given antibiotics via the ship doctor on the epic.

OK if you read the post completely, you would realize that I never said this was fact and was gotten 2nd hand, but wanted to mention it, in case it was, so the OP could get feedback.

This has been pointed out a few times prior to your post that adults and children at least from the age of 5 could get them.

I'm actually quite happy to read that it isn't true.

When you spoke to your insurance did you verify that you do not have to contact them before receiving care. My insurance has to be called before they will cover anything.

This information I got second hand from a lady, that was on the Epic, with a sick child. I met her on shore in Costa Maya. So I don't know how accurate this is and someone on here with experience may be able to respond to this.

Her child had an ear infection (or so she presumed). She was going to go to the ship's doctor but was told they will not prescribe antibiotics. Since you are afraid of infection, I thought that information may be of interest to you.

On Breakaway I developed bronchitis, and went to the ship's doctor. Diagnosis was quick & professional, and resulted in dispensing some antibiotics.

I asked for an insurance receipt and was advised that he'd open a file, but that I would have to pick up the receipt closer to the end of the cruise, because they wanted to see if the treatment was effective before closing-off the file.

On the 2nd-last day, I phoned the clinic and asked if I could come down to pick up the receipt and was told it would be delivered to my cabin. It was, in an envelope marked "for your insurance company".

The letter inside gave the doctor's license & credentials and indicated I had attended & was treated for bronchitis, with a breakdown of the charges.

I submitted them to my insurance, and they were paid 100% under my out-of-country coverage. MY concern would be that out-of-country coverage with my insurer here in Canada, is valid only for emergency UNEXPECTED visits....that is, not something which was actively presenting when I left the country.

Make sure you get documents that break out the insurance code, procedure & it's cost. Without that information, your insurance company may not be as willing to cover everything.

I would never hesitate visiting the doctor on the ship. Two years ago on the Epic I had a small cut on my heel that in 24 hours developed into cellulitis. It was the first time anything like that happened to me. The doctor was very concerned because my body temperature was also elevated. He gave me a weeks worth of antibiotics, some creams and offered me Percocet, which I refused because I wanted to drink that night.:D

They charged me $200, which is less than I would have paid at an urgent care.

We were on the Sun in Jan. and my son who is 8 got an ear infection. We were very impressed with the doctor/nursing staff. They were great with him. They had concentrated antibiotics on board that the doctor mixed with water for him, that needed a lot of shaking. They told us to come back in a couple days if it didn't start to feel better. He started to feel better after a few doses. I was surprised how reasonable it actually was as well, including the medication it was just over $125.00. It was charged to our cruise account and we just used our credit card to pay at the end of our trip (our onboard credit was actually applied to this..which I thought was funny but wasn't going to complain). We are in Canada so my husband's insurance company you send away to and still waiting to have our claim but I know we will get it eventually.

Hopefully you won't have any problems though!

I sail in one week. And the other day I did something stupid and I cut my hand pretty badly. I went to the ER and I had to have a few stitches. I am hoping my hand will heal up nice and quick.

But it is possible that it could get infected while I am sailing and I wondered if anyone has ever visited the ship's doc? How does that work? I've never done it...This could definitely be a first. LOL!

I have very good insurance (Anthem) and I called them and they said anything that comes up would be covered.

MY questions:

1) Do you give your insurance info to the cruise line and they bill it OR

2) do you have to pay cash up front and then submit your claim..

How does it work???

Any advice is appreciated.

I agree with the post that said call your Dr and get an antibiotic to take with you just in case. I don't know where your cut is or how many stitches you got...but the BEST practice is to keep it covered at all times since you will be exposed to alot of different scenarios. ( off ship excursions, pool, in general many people touching the same things you touch.) 3M makes a waterproof band aid that works great , they come all different sizes if you go swimming.

the other thing is --generally stitches come out 7-10 days. so you may have to go to the ship doc to have them taken out. I would check in with them when you are on board and just let them eye ball the area while you are on the cruise for safe practice.

I fell and dislocated my shoulder at Dunn's River Falls while on a private excursion. It corrected itself, but the next day popped out again while I was snorkeling on Grand Cayman and I sought medical help back at the ship. (Detailed on Days 4 & 5 of this review.) They temporarily* fixed me, and the costs were reimbursed as an out of network benefit by my own health insurance after I submitted it to them--as sjbdtz (Hi Steve!) detailed for his case. They gave me itemized receipts, including the office visits, xray, and velcro splint/sling contraption they issued.

(*The reason it popped out the second time was that it turned out I'd actually broken part of my shoulder socket. The "permanent" fix required arthroscopic surgery a month later!)

• 1 month later...