flight/cruise through Carnival

NDGal

HI

Anyone out there who has booked their flight/cruise through Carnival? They fly us out of ND on Saturday and the cruise is Sunday-how soon do you get your docs so you know what time you leave and the flight #'s etc. or at what hotel they book you at in Miami-not sure how it works.

Thanks for any info.

I am in the process of deciding whether to book flight and cruise through Carnival. The reason is because I like to have control of the flight schedules. Anyway, I asked my travel agent at Carnival and she said that I could expect my documents 3 to 4 weeks before the cruise. As I said, I don't have actual knowledge of this because I've never booked them together before.

I did ask if we would fly and cruise the same day and the answer was "yes." So, since you already know that you are leaving on Sat and sailing on Sun. I guess this is a little info that I can use to help me make my decision.

Enjoy your cruise!

HI

Anyone out there who has booked their flight/cruise through Carnival? They fly us out of ND on Saturday and the cruise is Sunday-how soon do you get your docs so you know what time you leave and the flight #'s etc. or at what hotel they book you at in Miami-not sure how it works.

Thanks for any info.

Did you book a pre-cruise package with hotel? If you didn't book a package with hotel, I can almost guarantee you are on some type of red-eye/long layover someplace, so you are up all night. The cruiselines don't have many forced/operational overnights in the USA. You generally won't find out info from the cruise line until 3-4 weeks before departure.

Unless there is some reason you just have to book your air through the cruiseline, my suggestion would be don't do it. You have no control over flights; they typically put you on the worst possible flights. And if you pay for the air deviation so you can control your flights, you wind up paying a fee PLUS any difference in the airfare.

Book your own air...it will most likely be significantly less expensive and you can pick which flights you want.

Couldn't agree more with the above poster... Pick your own flights and hotels! It's almost always cheaper, and a you get what YOU want, not the usually very odd flight times and connections that the lines stick you with.

Sorry to disagree, but we booked through Carnival for this cruise and we got a non-stop mid-morning flight. Also, by going through the cruise line you are pretty much assured that unless there is a really huge weather problem (hurricane or blizzard, for example) the ship will be held for you...but if you book on your own, you are just that, on your own, and if you aren't there at the time of depature the ship will leave without you.

Also, although you are told that you won't know your flight until less than thirty days before the sail date, I called Carnival directly at about 40 days out, found that the airline info was ready, then called my TA and she retreived the info for me.

Just another perspective.

Sorry to disagree, but we booked through Carnival for this cruise and we got a non-stop mid-morning flight. Also, by going through the cruise line you are pretty much assured that unless there is a really huge weather problem (hurricane or blizzard, for example) the ship will be held for you...but if you book on your own, you are just that, on your own, and if you aren't there at the time of depature the ship will leave without you.

Also, although you are told that you won't know your flight until less than thirty days before the sail date, I called Carnival directly at about 40 days out, found that the airline info was ready, then called my TA and she retreived the info for me.

Just another perspective.

The OP is flying from North Dakota. It appears you flew from New Jersey or maybe PhL. There is not really an easy way to get from North Dakota to Miami. Limited flights out of North Dakota. Most of the flights I see that work with a cruise leave late afternoon, head either to Minneapolis or Chicago, with a layover in that city, and then an early morning flight to Miami. There are a few that leave very early morning and arrive 12-13 hours later, with 3 flights each way. Take your pick-neither choice is very appealing, although I vote for the nonstop out of Chicago.

If they have to take a layover flight, either Carnival will include the hotel in the airfare (could be very costly) or they will be on their own for the hotel. The OP specifically asked about the hotel. If they booked and paid Carnival for a hotel on Sat night, it appears they will spend all day Saturday on airplanes.

I don't know all the details, but for the OP, it would probably be better (and cheaper) to book their own flights. They at least would not be surprised 30 or so days before their cruise.

The cruise lines normally pick the flights about 45 days out, and in MANY, not ALL, but in MANY cases you get stuck with odd times and connections. If you're flying from a major city with a large number of flights to your embarkation port (from NYC to MIA or FLL for example) then obviously it's much easier to get, and most likely that you would get, a nonstop flight. The vast majority of people do not live in such flight rich markets though, and there are many MANY examples of people on here complaining about the very strange flights they got stuck with, and many others such as myself who learned the hard way to NOT let the cruise line pick your flights.

It's not true that if you let them pick the flights they'll hold the ship for you. They won't hold the ship unless there are a large number of people on a delayed flight, and then they'll only hold if for a relatively short time, 2-3 hours in most cases. What they will do however is fly you on to the ship's next port of call, not a pleasant way to begin a vacation!

One should NEVER, EVER under any circumstances fly to their port of embarkation on the day of their cruise however. ALWAYS fly in at least a day early! That gives you a buffer against delayed flights, missed connections, gives delayed baggage to catch up, etc. When you spend the night before in a hotel in the city your cruise leaves from you're able to get on your ship at noon, be well rested, and able to fully enjoy that first day onboard that you have paid for.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked my air through Carnival figuring my transfer and flights would be half-way decent and they are terrible! And on top of the day in the airport and the whole night on an uncomfortable plane their suggestion is to stay overnight in their "sister" hotel for a mere $350.00. Are they kidding, that doesn't even include the meals I would have to feed my family for the extra day. I personally will never book air through a cruise line again so I have control over when I come and go (without paying a penalty on every fare) even if I have to spend a night at a cheap hotel.

WOW-thanks for all the good input on flight/cruise bookings-alot of horror stories out there! Especially since we're flying out the Saturday after the Thanksgiving weekend-from ND-to Miami. Do you usually end up changing planes 3 or more times? That could really be a headache with holiday airport traffic. Any positive experiences with the flight/cruise?

NDGal,

Please check with your TA about the Saturday night hotel. You do not need any more surprises. If you planned and paid for a Saturday night hotel in Florida, OK. Otherwise, please be aware that Carnival will not put you up in a hotel for free, even if you are on their air and have to overnight in Minneapolis or Chicago.

If you are flying on Saturday, the ONLY way I see to get you to Florida on Saturday is 3 flights-ND to either Minneapolis or Chicago on NW, then AA or United through one of their hubs (Chicago, Dallas, or Denver), then to Miami. If you are flying on Saturday and arriving Sunday, you will have to stay overnight in either Minneapolis or Chicago, then maybe a non-stop to Miami., unless you are on a really convoluted routing and then you could end up anyplace. Good luck.

Thanks Greatam-my reservation states that it is a round trip air from Fargo with forced over night in Miami. Also at the bottom states Air transportation departing rom Fargo is included but is scheduled solely at the discretion of the cruise line. Times and carriers are subject to change. Air deviation offered and declined.

Thanks for all your information-As a first time cruiser - I didn't even think anything of the wording on the reservation-I should give my TA a call-and have her translate-right?

Lori:rolleyes:

NDGal,

I sure hope you are prepared for a VERY early departure. The latest flight that will get you out of Fargo to Miami on Saturday is 8:20AM. The earliest is at 5:20AM. No sleep for you that night!!! Each flight itinerary has about a 2 hour layover in two airports. It will be a LOOOOONG day.

A forced overnight, huh!!! Logic tells me that you will have three flights on Saturday, so the chance of a missed connection increases. There really is NO way to get you to Miami in time for sail away on Sunday, unless you take the very early flight to Minnepolis and then a non-stop to Miami. Would cost the cruiseline about $200.00-250.00 more, so that most likely would NOT be an option.

Did you book with an online TA? If you booked with a local bricks and mortar TA, they did you no favors by not assisting you to book your own air. Somehow, someway, the cost of the hotel in Miami is included in the cost of your cruise. The bad thing is you didn't get to pick the hotel.

ENJOY the cruise!!!

Archived