Looking at 2015 British Isles cruises and for Dublin

stipmom

It says Dun Laoghair. The 2014 cruises just say Dublin. Is this a new dock? How far is it from the city center? It also says it is a tender port. Do the ships currently tender or do they dock?

It says Dun Laoghair. The 2014 cruises just say Dublin. Is this a new dock? How far is it from the city center? It also says it is a tender port. Do the ships currently tender or do they dock?

I believe that is the name of the port/harbor where the ships dock and about 8 miles from Dublin. When we docked there (Caribbean Princess) it was not a tender port. I am sure others will weigh in with additional information.

Cole

Dun Laoghaire is a suburb of Dublin and is eight miles south of the city centre. The local train service, DART, takes twenty minutes to get to central Dublin and there is a train every fifteen/twenty minutes. The best station to get off at is Pearse.

The train station in Dun Laoghaire is situated a very short distance from where the ferries used to dock. I do not know whether your ship will tender or berth at the quayside. I would imagine it depends on its size and also what the port infrastructure is currently like in Dun Laoghaire. I used to work for a ferry company there but, apart from a seasonal catamaran service, all the ferries to/from Wales now berth in Dublin Port. Dun Laoghaire is now mainly a recreational harbour. If you need any more information just ask.

Dermot

Dermot, do you know if this is a new place to dock or have the ships docked there for awhile? Princess is showing it for their 2015 sailing but the 2014 sailing just says Dublin.

The Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company needs a new revenue stream as heretofore most of its income came from the ferry company, Stena Line. Stena Line now operates mainly from Dublin Port with a consequent loss of income to Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company. They are trying to make good this loss by seeking to attract cruise ships there, possibly by offering attractive rates. When I worked there, very few cruise ships berthed in Dun Laoghaire. I cannot find a list for 2014, but here are the dates on which cruise ships were in Dun Laoghaire in 2013.

http://dlharbour.ie/visit-us/cruise/

Dun Laoghaire is planning to build a new twin berth cruise pier to the west of the current Stena HSS ferry pier. It is only in the pre planning stage at the moment, however the management of Dun Laoghaire port visited with various cruise lines at the end of 2013 to get a feel for interest from the cruise lines.

the new pier will, when built, accept ships up to 340 metre LOA. (Indepence class etc....)

I feel that Dun Laoghaire management have offered deals to cruise lines to get them to start calling to Dun Laoghaire prior to the building of the pier. So, it will be a tender port for 2015 and probably 2016.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Is there any bus which directly takes us from the port to Dublin city ( Trinity College ) ? ..... thank you for your help

The first time we docked at Dublin, we shared a cab into city center. The second time we used the Princess shuttle. If your primary interest is reaching Trinity before the crowds, probably the best way would be to use a taxi.

Cole

The Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company needs a new revenue stream as heretofore most of its income came from the ferry company, Stena Line. Stena Line now operates mainly from Dublin Port with a consequent loss of income to Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company. They are trying to make good this loss by seeking to attract cruise ships there, possibly by offering attractive rates. When I worked there, very few cruise ships berthed in Dun Laoghaire. I cannot find a list for 2014, but here are the dates on which cruise ships were in Dun Laoghaire in 2013.

http://dlharbour.ie/visit-us/cruise/

We are on Celebrity Silhouette sailing into Dun Laoghaire Harbour (Dublin) on August 15th this year, not tendering. We have been told by Celebrity that it is approx. 8 miles to Dublin city center.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

we did this cruise last may. I posted pictures of the british Isles on our family blog. We did mostly private tours and I would be glad to give you the names if you are interested.

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/2013/06/god-save-queenour-amazing-adventures-in.html

We will be in Dublin 2 days and Belfast one day. Any ideas? Did you do private tours there?Loved your pictures. Thanks, Mary

We are on Celebrity Silhouette sailing into Dun Laoghaire Harbour (Dublin) on August 15th this year, not tendering. We have been told by Celebrity that it is approx. 8 miles to Dublin city center.

Well I was wrong, we are tendering in at Dun Laoghaire this coming August 15th on Celebrity Silhouette.

Well I was wrong, we are tendering in at Dun Laoghaire this coming August 15th on Celebrity Silhouette.

When leaving the ferry terminal, go to Dun Laoghaire Station, a mere 5 minutes away

Take a northbound DART (Any train for Howth, Malahide or Connolly) nine stops to Pearse Station.

Pearse Station is just off the East End of the Trinity College Campus. I found this information on CC first page go to Ports, then Europe, then back to top area of ports British Isles/Western Europe. Mary

Edited by 2ashevillesailors