Cobh to Clonakilty

We have a day in Cobh on our June Princess cruise. I would like to travel to Clonakilty as my 2nd great grandfather was a minister there in the late 1800s. The church he was stationed at is now a post office. I would love to see it.

Can someone suggest the best way to get there? It is about an hours drive (according to Google) so I figure a taxi wouldn't be cheap. We dock at 8 am and have to be back on the ship before 6.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

First of all you should confirm your times in port. The port of Cork (Cobh) is showing departure times of 6 pm, so you will have to be back on board before that. What date do you arrive in Cobh, because one sailing is showing as docking in Ringaskiddy and not Cobh.

Here is a link to the bus service from Cork to Clonakilty and onwards to Skibbereen http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1347631434-237.pdf

There are buses leaving Cork at 9.30 am and 11.30 am. You will need to get the bus from Clonakilty at 2.20 pm to get you back to Cork in time to connect to Cobh. So you will have either 1.5 hours or 3.5 hours in Clonakilty.

Getting to Cork bus station from Cobh is either the local train, from just outside the cruise port or taxi. Trains leave Cobh every 30 minutes from 6.00am. Journey time is 24 minutes, then probably a 15/20 minute walk to the bus station. http://journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en?OK#focus

Thank you for the response - you are correct, the ship is scheduled to depart at 6 p.m. so we would need to be back on the ship no later than 5. We are in Cobh June 30 which is a Monday (the Ruby Princess).

I haven't looked at the schedule yet that you provided but I am guessing this side trip I want to do may end of taking longer than I had hoped considering I still have to get from Cobh to Cork and back.

If we ended up spending 3.5 hours in Clonakilty, is there enough to see in your opinion or would I be better off spending the day in Cobh or Cork?

Clonakilty and the whole of the West Cork area is beautiful. I am not sure about 3.5 hours in Clon without a car, it seems a bit long. But then, there is family history there and if this is your only opportunity to visit.........

How do you feel about driving on the left side of the road. We find it ok ;)

Great Island Car Rentals will rent for a day and they offer cars from Cobh. You could strike out to Clonakilty and travel back via Kinsale.

Cobh itself is very nice, with the Titanic centre just beside the cruise port, but there is not enough for a full day. Cork is ok, but its a small city, not much to see apart from the English Market, Shandon Bells and a few other things.

What about ebus/butlers tours to Blarney and Kinsale?