How many people look forward to their cruise but hate leaving a pet behind?

Gingee

I have two elderly dogs. The longest they've boarded before has been 7 nights, and my cruise in November is going to be twice as long as that, not including travel to and from home. However, they always go to the same excellent boarding kennels. Very reasonable price, and it is run by someone who obviously prefers dogs to people - and who sees people as an unavoidable irritation to be endured in order to spend time with more dogs.

They get boarded in the geriatric kennels (extra warm, with a sheltered run), and in addition to their twice-daily walks and twice-daily free runs in the exercise field, they get regular cuddles and treats. I'm thinking of moving in myself.

Gingee.....are you looking for a good pet sitter or kennel? If you are worried about kenneling because there isn't a safe one in your area then no one will convince you that leaving your pets behind is ok.

Most kennels the dogs are left overnight alone until the morning. Our pets sleep thru the night at home right? Sure they are happy to see us when we let them out in the morning. My golden Retriever sleeps all day and is more active at night when the kids are home. They do adjust.

Please just look for an accredited kennel and call the local vets to see who they would board their dogs with. Boarding at a respected kennel gives me the peace of mind that if they should get sick they are far more experienced and will contact my vet for immediate attention.

I do not worry that she will miss us because she is use to the routine and has many fluffy friends to keep her company (the ones she can see thru her kennel bars ). Use those suggestions I wrote earlier. If you kennel at a facility with a webcam you are paying a premium for it. We pay 20.00 a day and bring our own food. The kennel is so clean that you could eat off the floors. Another thing I am not too fond of are those kennels that use "doggie playtime" with other dogs because not all dogs get along and haven't been introduced properly. I would never allow that without my supervision so I chose a kennel that takes each dog out individually. It is up to you if you want to pay extra for playtime or cuddling. I hope that is a freebie every time I kennel her. Good luck.

We knocked out a kennel or two that has the doggy group play.

The woman we are looking at for dog sitting works part time as a dog groomer. She has three dogs of her own. She has some good reviews. She says the dogs are never left alone outside (hope not even though it is fenced in). She can not take more than three "guest" dogs in due to the restrictions of her doggy site. So we have two dogs so only one more strange dog. We will see how we feel about it when we go for the meet and greet.

That is a good plan too. I would feel comfortable with that. A groomer is going to be extra loving just because she is working with dogs as her job. Like you said do a meet and greet and see how the dogs get along. Trust your instincts. You know you can also kennel both of your dogs together in the same kennel....right? They will be up to no good before you know it! :) JK...a little humor.

If we put them in a kennel they will be in the same run. Our one dog is mainly blind with cataracts so I am hoping the home environment will be better.

This woman says we can have the meet and greet this weekend and then once again closer to the time.

I always feel awful! We are cruising next month and I thankfully have a friend house sitting and she will be able to stay with my girl.

We will unfortunately be on our cruise on her birthday and I feel so guilty! ImageUploadedByForums1395899846.613327.jpg.f9724e6f588020ce98ad0d820021c6cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is my first cruise and for the first time, I am boarding my Aussie Bella. We have been on vacation before and have always had my oldest daughter or a trusted friend stay at the house. This trip however, we will be boarding her for 4 days and my daughter will stay at my house for the other 3 days. We are boarding her at the place where she attends daycare once a week - she will be staying in their house with them. She knows them and their dog so I am praying she will be fine. She is a little spoiled - sleeps in bed with me, snuggles on the couch every night with my daughter - but her day care provider thinks she will be just fine. Last vacation, a full week was a little too much on my daughter - she is not a "pet" person LOL. So hopefully this will work out ok. I was so worried about sending her to daycare her first time and she absolutely loves it!

As long as your pet is with someone you trust - they will be fine. And remember, they don't have the same sense of time that humans do. They won't be thinking "gee - it's Monday now,where ARE they?"

But I'll still get teary when I drop her off :(

Just my 2 cents.

Our dogs would be boarded or with a dog sitter for ten or eleven nights and then my daughter will be picking them up for the following week. They are use to her. Unfortunately she will be on part of our trip so she can't watch them the whole time.

I always hate to leave my "little girls" at home with someone.I am cruising the end of April and figured out how to solve the problem.I am leaving my DH home to take care of them.I am going with a dear friend and he is ok with that even though I am sure deep down he is wishing he could go too.

Laura