How many people look forward to their cruise but hate leaving a pet behind?

Gingee

Had my last dog put down 16 yeras ago, and have not looked back, I loved them but they do tie you down. I want get another for that reason, no guilt, no responsibility, no worries...just pick up and go when I want.

Edited by uncleg

My cat is not suppose to be mine but it seems that I am the only one looking after him. He really misses me when I am gone. My granddaughter (who was suppose to be the cat's owner) is suppose to look after him while I am gone. She lives with us. However I have to ask 2 friends of mine to come over and help out.

The last time we went away Calvin was so happy to see me he wouldn't leave my side for a couple of days. I am going away in Oct. but only for a week. I hope it goes better this time.

I end up really worrying about him when I am away because I am not sure he is getting the care that he is used to. When I got back my furniture had been clawed to death. My granddaughter had not thought to do anything about it and was not paying attention to him. This next time my husband will be here so he will help out a little.

tigercat

I love cruising, I hate leaving the dogs behind.

They go to "grandma's" house (our breeder) who lives about 2 hours away. Last trip, while we were out in the middle of the Atlantic, I check my email to find out that 2 of the 3 of them escaped her backyard :eek::eek:.

Fortunately, (& in the same email it was noted) the two of them had been picked up by the local SPCA and our breeder thought to call them and see if they'd picked up two bearded collies so she knew that they had been located and were safe and sound, but it was too late for her to get to the SPCA to pick them up that night, so they got to spend a night in jail. She did pick them up the next morning and left a nice donation. The offending gate in her backyard has now been nailed shut and I will be double checking it when we drop the dogs off with her before our next cruise.

I used to joke with friends who have kids that my dogs would never call me from jail, but not anymore :o:o:o

Edited by FawnRiver
addition

My cat wants to travel with me. Or at least I think it is why she sleeps on my suitcase!

10249417266_6c73d1b546.jpg

When I get back home, she looks at me as if to say: "You were gone??"

Edited by reedl

Hi. We all feel the pain of leaving behind our furry friends. Really, they have just as much fun as we do when we vacation. We have to board our Golden Retriever any time we vacation because we just don't have the luxury of having someone to watch her. :(

If I can make one helpful suggestion....don't make the first time boarding your pets be when you are away on a cruise for an extended amount of time. Do a trial run or two for several days so your pets are familiar with their new environment and they don't feel stressed by your absence and change of their environment. You can note any behavioral changes when they get back home.

Sleep with a towel and leave it with them in the kennel so they have your scent. Definitely bring your own food so there is no change in diet. I know it's hard but now you will have a back up "sitter" and feel more confident with your vacation plans.

Truly, we have all been there making those pet care decisions because we love them so much and they are part of our families! Good luck!

All of the above - EXCELLENT Sadie!

We board our mutts at Bed & Biscuit - have been for over 10 years, but the stress is still there.

Just research, ask around, check out the facilities and leave them there for an overnight "play date".

Sadie (above) says it all......

Also, our lovely family that watches our pups emails us daily, sometimes with photos! :)

I get concerned, because one of our Bull Doggies is now 14, but they always come home tired and happy - DOG HAPPY!:)

Note: Make sure it is a boarding facility that has someone on site 24/7.

Some of you guys are really lucky for your furry sitters. Usually my daughter takes care of my dogs and we take care of hers. On this upcoming trip, we will be gone almost three weeks. My daughter and husband is going to be on part of the trip and then after ten days, they will get my dogs for the remaining week or so. We have checked out three or four places. Our vet's place? No way Okay for surgeries but that is is. Another vet's place is 2.5 feet wide by 15 feet long. They take the dogs out in a area by themselves at least four times a day (so they say). They can bring their own "comfort stuff". If we go this route, we will have the two dogs together (small dogs). Second choice was a nice new place with inside and outside places but their play area is with other dogs. I have heard of a couple big dogs getting in fights. Advantage owners live on the property with security cameras. Hope to get ahold of a neighbor who may know another neighbor in the neighborhood who sits. I don't want people coming in the house though. Disadvantage of the first place, they are alone from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Through a stroke of luck, we met a woman through a mutual friend. She keeps only a few small furbabies at her home. She insisted we bring our little mini-doxie for a "visit" to see if she was okay with other dogs she kept. We couldn't believe her spotless house and the "amenities" she had. She had one bedroom in her home devoted to elderly ones with a separate exit to a patio that only they could use because the older dogs are not amused by the puppies. She has a cabana and small wading pool because "sometimes in the summer they just need a little dip." She had a gorgeous flower garden where one of the little ones was "soiling" as we watched. When finished, this woman was smiling and telling him what a good job he did...???? I explained that our baby was rather spoiled and asked if it would be okay if I bought some baked chicken breast and froze it so that he had this to eat a few times (we were going to be gone for 2 weeks). She said she kept chicken in the freezer and always had plenty of rice. She asked what kind of dog food we supplemented with and when I told her, she gave me a lecture on the risk of diabetes on his brand. She asked if she could try him on an organic food she feels is healthier and that they love. She had a "fountain" for them to use for a "sip of water" if it was hot. The Dog channel was playing everywhere in the house except the "quiet rooms" where sometimes they just need a little peace and quiet. I could go on and on, but we are a bit reluctant to go there often. He acts as if he's living a riches to rags story when we come to pick him up and he knows the "amenities" and "activities" are coming to an end, and he'll have to fend for himself at home. It's the only place that we have felt comfortable leaving him....but we still MISS him horribly and worry constantly. There's no way around it.

I would suggest like others to do a trial run before hand! Once you have found a place!

I am really lucky, because I have found an exceptional doggie camp they love it! Private room with music and tv and camp at least twice a day! They come back happy and exhausted! It is being run by a lot of really nice young kids!

I miss my 2, but they are getting a great deal of fun! I know they are well taken care of and safe!

I usually drop my Yorkie off at the sitters the day before any vacation (I use dogvacay, if anyone is looking for a dog sitter this is a great site) and I miss her terribly while I do last minute trip stuff and run errands and, but I get over it the second I board the plane, cruise ship etc :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our dog, 7 years old, has been staying at the same "pet resort" since we got him at 12 weeks old when we are away. He's had training classes there as well as doggie day care. He knows the folks and is always happy when we get near the place. I love the webcam the place provides, and I love knowing the hours that I can watch him in training or in play. But yes, I do think of him daily...and miss him dearly. It helps to know that he is having fun.

We just visited our last spot today. Seems like most of the places in our area leave at night. There is advantages to different ones. Of course the best would be if we could find a in home care place. I am jealous of the places some of you have.

We just visited our last spot today. Seems like most of the places in our area leave at night. There is advantages to different ones. Of course the best would be if we could find a in home care place. I am jealous of the places some of you have.

I would seriously consider doing a search on Dogvacay. The persons are usually owners of pets. Depending on the area you live you can find someone that is home 24/7 and I find that this is cheaper than any boarding facility. The sitter sets the price, you can do meet and greets. They are also 100% insured. They are also required to send you a picture update via email or text everyday, just to show you how your pets are doing. I drive an hour to go to my pup's sitter, but is worth every minute of the drive.

Thanks. I just went on the dog vac. site. There are a couple in our area. I am leary because we used one once and she didn't realize something was seriously wrong with our dog. One has already replied. Will see what happens:)

Well, I throw a little extra food and water out for the inside cats, if I leave them inside, sometimes I throw them out. For the dogs (outside) I guess I don't give them a second thought. Maybe my son in law feed them:eek:

So no I don't feel bad about leaving them.

Guest maddycat

We have a cat sitter come to our house once a day to feed, put out fresh water and clean the litter box for our two cats. She also spends some time visiting with them. We miss them but don't worry about them. We know that they're being well taken care of by the cat sitter.

Edited by maddycat

I hate leaving Pups, my almost 5 year old Shih-tzu, behind! I got Pups in April of 2010, from a lady who really didn't take very good care of him, and then left on a cruise a month later and I hated it! He stayed with my dad and we when got home, dad told us that Pups was miserable and even got sick a few times while we were gone! :( I felt horrible! I've left him to go on several cruises since then and he does just fine now. He loves my dad! I still miss him while I'm gone and definitely look forward to hugging him when I get home! :)

Well, I throw a little extra food and water out for the inside cats, if I leave them inside, sometimes I throw them out. For the dogs (outside) I guess I don't give them a second thought. Maybe my son in law feed them:eek:

So no I don't feel bad about leaving them.

Wow....you sound like a lovely pet owner. I feel horrible for your animals.

Thanks. I just went on the dog vac. site. There are a couple in our area. I am leary because we used one once and she didn't realize something was seriously wrong with our dog. One has already replied. Will see what happens:)

I use sitters with ratings/reviews so I can see what others have said, I always do a meet and greet so I can meet the person see their house and get a feel for them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one person I am mainly interested in only lives about four or five miles from us. Looks like she has watched a lot of dogs. We are going to try to arrange a meet and greet later this week or next weekend (I think).

Remember fellow cruisers, support your local boarding kennel. As a kennel owners, we love to cruise also. I tell most customers the dogs do better than the nervous owners when it comes to leaving the pet. After five minutes the dogs forget all about the owners, but the owners leaving their pet behind stays in their mind all week long.

I had been cat-less for awhile but gave in and adopted my current cat this past year. I hadn't expected to worry as much as I do about her, since I have a professional sitter care for her. But I worry quite a bit, especially until I get that first email from the sitter that everything's okay. I know she gets bored and lonely when I'm away but she since doesn't like other animals there's really nothing to do but have a sitter come in. I am hoping that as time goes on we'll both get more used to it.