Clanging and Banging on QM2

Leucothea

NO NO NO the 55 gallon drums have been replaced with card board boxes with a plastic bag full of wine in them. Always a classy thing to bring on the Best Ocean Liner in existence. oops sorry don't mean to offend any box wine drinkers. Some even come with pre packed plastic cups. I just cannot stop myself. :o

But one wonders if the box wine will arrive in a Porsche or a Corvette? To stay on topic, there is far less Clanging and Banging with box wines.:eek::D

NO NO NO the 55 gallon drums have been replaced with card board boxes with a plastic bag full of wine in them. Always a classy thing to bring on the Best Ocean Liner in existence. oops sorry don't mean to offend any box wine drinkers. Some even come with pre packed plastic cups. I just cannot stop myself. :o

No, No! I have to add my disagreement. Clanging and banging are explained by those 55 gallon drums rolling around in our inside staterooms. Those box-things could never explain such noise.

BTW, we love to drive through Tennessee and think Nashville is one of the friendliest cities in the US. We had a minor car-problem (Honda, not that anyone should be interested in this) driving through Nashville during a state-to-state relocation---car heaped full of houseplants and things not fitting into boxes--and had a $5.58 repair at the Honda dealership (the one north of Nashville and just off I 65). Most honest car repair imaginable.

I've enjoyed every drop of wine I have had on the QM2. Never thought to bring any onboard. ...Just learned there is no scientific basis for 12-step programs and too little success from attending AA… Maybe, there should be some restraint in bringing those 55 gallon drums of alcohol onboard. Too much drinking might lead to unkindness.

We are a small world and should celebrate our commonalities, respect our differences, and (on sage advice of newjoisey and cunardaddict) drive the cars we want to drive… DH and I drive to ports and have left our cars for a month (or more) at a time while we sailed on Cunard ships. Our Lexus (second cousin to the Camry) particularly enjoyed a month at the Brooklyn dock, just a month before Sandy hit and flooded that area.

Or, maybe the clanging and banging on the QM2 is just the dinner gong?

[quote name=cunardaddict;

Those who notice more noises than others on the QM2 have a different experience in life. Some are very regularly on the ship' date=' recognize the origin of some of the noise and just do not see any reason to mention it. Others may be living in a very quiet house or in a region where people do act immediately on any unknow noise.[/quote]

Good point cunardaddict. Thanks.

Jeanne

Actually I have traveled on Cunard many times and regularly (transatlantic) and have experienced various noises, none to make a fuss about.

However, on one occasion the banging was so loud (like a jackhammer, no exaggeration) that it was impossible to sleep for more than 10 minutes at a time. It was absolutely horrible. I have never heard anything like it, the cabin steward had never heard it before this, and no one seemed to be able to figure out what it was or to fix it.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything like this, to try to solve this mystery, and also to make sure it is not now a more frequent thing that I would have to watch out for.

I am certainly not fussing about minor creaks and noises, which are normal on any ship.

I live in cities for the most part.

Edited by Leucothea

Actually I have traveled on Cunard many times and regularly (transatlantic) and have experienced various noises, none to make a fuss about.

However, on one occasion the banging was so loud (like a jackhammer, no exaggeration) that it was impossible to sleep for more than 10 minutes at a time. It was absolutely horrible. I have never heard anything like it, the cabin steward had never heard it before this, and no one seemed to be able to figure out what it was or to fix it.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything like this, to try to solve this mystery, and also to make sure it is not now a more frequent thing that I would have to watch out for.

I am certainly not fussing about minor creaks and noises, which are normal on any ship.

How interesting and unusual (and certainly unpleasant)!

Where was your cabin/stateroom located? Was the noise from above, below, or behind a wall? I wonder if location on the ship could lead someone to venture an explanation as to the cause of such a loud noise at such an odd hour…

This happened on just one night and not the entire voyage?

Even ghosts and metal drums couldn't create such an occurrence. Hard to believe it would be a repair in the middle of the night. But, an emergency repair would explain not delaying until daytime hours.

We have rarely needed them, but we do bring earplugs when we travel. It doesn't sound like earplugs would have been much help, though, in your situation.

It sounds like you took this experience in stride --with good spirit-- and didn't let it ruin your trip. Each voyage is an adventure! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It puts everything in perspective, doesn't it!

Thid dosn't sound like a minor problem. Did you keep the balkony door open? This may cause the stateroom door to vibrate. It could well have also been an adjacent stateroom door. If it was between elevators C and D portside there is definitely a source of serious noise on QM

How interesting and unusual (and certainly unpleasant)!

Where was your cabin/stateroom located? Was the noise from above, below, or behind a wall? I wonder if location on the ship could lead someone to venture an explanation as to the cause of such a loud noise at such an odd hour…

This happened on just one night and not the entire voyage?

Even ghosts and metal drums couldn't create such an occurrence. Hard to believe it would be a repair in the middle of the night. But, an emergency repair would explain not delaying until daytime hours.

We have rarely needed them, but we do bring earplugs when we travel. It doesn't sound like earplugs would have been much help, though, in your situation.

It sounds like you took this experience in stride --with good spirit-- and didn't let it ruin your trip. Each voyage is an adventure! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It puts everything in perspective, doesn't it!

Hi JimmyBean,

This lasted the entire voyage, but I had a friend in another stateroom who let me use her other bed for sleeping at night (as she was out all night anyway).

The noise seemed to be coming from underneath, yet no one could hear anything on the deck below. It was very odd, and they were not able to find out what it was or fix it. The cabin steward heard it and said he had not heard it before this. It was constant, particularly since the sea was very rough.

I've heard noises on the ship before, but this was like being next to a construction site.

Never had this on QM2. But on one of the first cruises of QE we had lots of noises and other disturbances - made in Italy:D

That is why they call the builder "Tin can tieri".:eek::D

Edited by Jim Avery

Hi JimmyBean,

This lasted the entire voyage, but I had a friend in another stateroom who let me use her other bed for sleeping at night (as she was out all night anyway).

The noise seemed to be coming from underneath, yet no one could hear anything on the deck below. It was very odd, and they were not able to find out what it was or fix it. The cabin steward heard it and said he had not heard it before this. It was constant, particularly since the sea was very rough.

I've heard noises on the ship before, but this was like being next to a construction site.

How awful! Fortunate that you had a friend to offer a quieter sleeping space. So often, there just isn't another (unoccupied) cabin, where one could be re-assigned during a voyage.

Noise can be much more than unpleasant and more than just a nuisance. A good night sleep is important for us all.

What a puzzlement! I can think of no explanation for such noise. Must have been related to the rough sea. I picture some large heavy "nonessential" ship part becoming dislodged and rolling around, under the flooring.

I admit such a sound would have made ME nervous!

Again, your report displays your patience so very well. Sometimes, we just have to make the best of something.

I'm very happy that this experience didn't put you off the QM2 : )

Happy sailing and may all your ship accommodations be quiet in the future as you well deserve!

How awful! Fortunate that you had a friend to offer a quieter sleeping space. So often, there just isn't another (unoccupied) cabin, where one could be re-assigned during a voyage.

Noise can be much more than unpleasant and more than just a nuisance. A good night sleep is important for us all.

What a puzzlement! I can think of no explanation for such noise. Must have been related to the rough sea. I picture some large heavy "nonessential" ship part becoming dislodged and rolling around, under the flooring.

I admit such a sound would have made ME nervous!

Again, your report displays your patience so very well. Sometimes, we just have to make the best of something.

I'm very happy that this experience didn't put you off the QM2 : )

Happy sailing and may all your ship accommodations be quiet in the future as you well deserve!

Thank you. Hopefully Murphy's Law will take a break on the next crossing. Happy sailing to you also. :)

Thid dosn't sound like a minor problem. Did you keep the balkony door open? This may cause the stateroom door to vibrate. It could well have also been an adjacent stateroom door. If it was between elevators C and D portside there is definitely a source of serious noise on QM

No, I would not keep the balcony door open. It was not a vibration, it was an extremely loud bang every few seconds, which sometimes stopped for a few minutes. The staff checked everything thoroughly and could not find the cause. Maintenance said it could not be fixed, but I was not informed if they knew what it was or not. It was not a normal ship's noise.

I had just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience, but apparently this was a one time thing.