Toddler Area/Splash Pad on Getaway

tray98

We are cruising on the Getaway August 9th. We will have our 2 yr old with us. I doubt he will be potty trained for the trip. I know he cannot go in the pools. I had called NCL and they told me there was a small splash pad/sprinklers he could go in.

I am trying to find reference or a picture of this. Does anyone know exactly what is available or have a photo of the area if it exists.

Will there be much to occupy him with?

Edited by tray98

We just got off of the Breakaway with our 14 month old this morning, and the splash area was more than enough to occupy him. It is a fairly large area that has a few large spongebob characters and a pool with 6-8 inches of water inside. There is a small water slide (3 feet or so) and an island in the middle with steps and some more slidable surfaces.

The walls, floors, and characters spray water like a sprinkler every few seconds. We saw older kids playing in this area quite a bit, as they were very entertained.

The only down side is that there were times that a lot of kids (without any obvious supervision) were packed into that area, and it was getting a bit too rough for our 14 month old, who just wanted to splash in the water and go down the slide.

We couldn't have been happier with the way the crew treated him and the facilities available.

We just got off of the Breakaway with our 14 month old this morning, and the splash area was more than enough to occupy him. It is a fairly large area that has a few large spongebob characters and a pool with 6-8 inches of water inside. There is a small water slide (3 feet or so) and an island in the middle with steps and some more slidable surfaces.

The walls, floors, and characters spray water like a sprinkler every few seconds. We saw older kids playing in this area quite a bit, as they were very entertained.

The only down side is that there were times that a lot of kids (without any obvious supervision) were packed into that area, and it was getting a bit too rough for our 14 month old, who just wanted to splash in the water and go down the slide.

We couldn't have been happier with the way the crew treated him and the facilities available.

THANK YOU!! I saw a photo of that little slide and thought it would be perfect for him and was disappointed as I thought he wasn't able to go there. Thanks, I feel so much better now. I am travelling with my 6 yr old son as well and there is no way we could sit by the pool with the 2 yr old and have him only 'watch' his brother play in the pool or splash pad.

Everywhere we saw no diapers posted was near the larger non splash pools, and ever crew member or phone representative we asked stated no disposable diapers.

When we asked specifically about swim diapers we were told swim diapers would be fine in the splash pool, which does not seem to circulate water with the other pools. No one gave us a hard time or questioned us or warned against it when we questioned them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the replies. In that Breakaway babies thread there seems to be conflicting responses as well.

I also wondered when I saw that sign as it does states kids pool and that splash area does not look like it would be labelled as a 'pool' and does appear to be a separate space from the photos I have seen.

Right. This is not a pool though.

But there is no mention about them being allowed. DCL is very upfront on their website about their splash area

Policies About Swim Diapers

The United States Public Health Service requires that only children who are toilet trained are permitted to enter swimming pools and spas aboard cruise ships.

Children who are not toilet trained are welcome to enjoy Nemo's Reef and Mickey's Splash Zone, where they must wear swim diapers. Please note, swim diapers are not permitted in the pools, hot tubs or spas, the AquaDuck and the AquaLab.

RCCL is very upfront as well

< Back to Onboard Policies

Onboard Policies

Print This Page

Q: Are there any restrictions regarding children in the pools?

A: Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the Seas®, and Allure of the Seas®.

You would think that if they are allowed, it would be printed.

My recommendation is to go expecting that your child may not be able to swim on the ship, but call ncl and ask crew on ship to clarify.

Don't expect to swim, but hope to, and get permission. We were told that using a reusable swim diaper, with a disposable swim diaper inside would be fine. We also had no pool/diaper related incidents during our trip.

The posted rules are clear, I'm sure for liability, but the enforced and verbally delivered rules are less clear.

But there is no mention about them being allowed. DCL is very upfront on their website about their splash area

Policies About Swim Diapers

The United States Public Health Service requires that only children who are toilet trained are permitted to enter swimming pools and spas aboard cruise ships.

Children who are not toilet trained are welcome to enjoy Nemo's Reef and Mickey's Splash Zone, where they must wear swim diapers. Please note, swim diapers are not permitted in the pools, hot tubs or spas, the AquaDuck and the AquaLab.

RCCL is very upfront as well

< Back to Onboard Policies

Onboard Policies

Print This Page

Q: Are there any restrictions regarding children in the pools?

A: Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the Seas®, and Allure of the Seas®.

You would think that if they are allowed, it would be printed.

I believe that the norwegian rules are the same as both of these, no babies in swimming pools, babies can use the splash areas that are designed for them. I don't want the diapers in the swimming pools either.

Diapers are not allowed in any pool unless specifically designated as allowing them. A real key as to whether or not a pool/splash area is for kids in diapers is the presence of two things: The ship must have a supply of swim diapers available on site, and there must be a full time attendant present.

I am totally confused. I asked this question on NCL's FB page and was told no child in a swim diaper is allowed in any water.

We are leaving on the Star in 2 weeks, and if it is allowed in a "splash" area, I want to get the appropriate swim wear. :confused::confused:

Pat

To the best of my knowledge, NCL does not have any "diaper" pools or splash areas onboard any of their ships.

The Star definitely does not allow children in diapers in the pools.

Edited by chengkp75

What's the difference with letting a kid in a pool with a diaper and letting a kid in a splash area with a diaper? Both ways the diaper will be wet and leak, right? Instead of sitting in. Body of water with a diapered kid, you are standing in it.