LittleMissMagic

LittleMissMagic's 2014 8-Day Carnival BREEZE S.Caribbean Cruise - A Photo Review!

Your review is great! I'm really enjoying it. My family and I were on the Breeze 6 day itinerary on March 9th. It was our second cruise on the Breeze.

I think a while ago I might have read a WDW trip report that you wrote. Your writing seems familiar.

WOW!!!! loving your review. I'm even going back and reading all of your other reviews. I really like your writing style and pics. I do have a question. We are also BIG Disney fans and tried to click on your WDW review but the link didn't work:mad: can you try and post the link again, would love to read it.

Thanks,

Scott

Thank you, Scott! Glad to meet another Disney fan!!

Here are my two latest reviews -

2013/2014 New Year's Eve at Disney (actually tagged onto our Royal Princess cruise)

2013 Food & Wine Festival

And then these are a bit older -

2013 Disneyland Paris

2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine

2012 Beach Club

2012 Polynesian Spring Break

2011 Grand Floridian Fourth of July

And there's even more after that, but they start to get a little bad because I was a teenager. I started writing trip reports in 2008!

Yet another awesome review from you! I have always enjoyed reading your reviews so thank you for all your hard work!

Thank you so much! It's something I really enjoy doing!

Now this ship looks like fun.....

13406446175_f2345bc638_b.jpg

Max had asked me to please stop messing with my camera and help him read the signs. But of course, I was paying too much attention to my camera and too little to the signage that I caught the sign to Terminal D too late. "I thought we were going to park?" "We have to drop off our bags first!" "Why can't we just carry our bags?" "Because we have too many to carry! They are too heavy!" "They're on wheels!" "No, Max, just circle back around." "I'm parking." "No! You'll regret it! Circle back around!" "Why can't we just carry them?" And then the truth comes out.... "Because I don't want to get all sweaty!"

It turns out that circling back around was no big deal. The porter unloaded our bags and we headed to park. "Wait - we just gave him our bags. How does he know where they go?" "I put bag tags on them. They'll bring them to our room." "Oh, okay, you're really on top of this." I mean... I try.....

The parking garage was packed out. The only place we could find a spot was on the top level. We arrived at the port around 11:30 which I thought was rather early considering Carnival sent us an email asking us to not arrive until 1:00 PM. I wonder what the people who couldn't find a place in the parking garage did....

13406569483_685e4f6bb7_b.jpg

13406573613_58730947e3_b.jpg

13406806734_32754ebe82_b.jpg

We did not get Faster To The Fun because by the time I realized what "FTTF" meant, it was already sold out. I wasn't really bummed because we didn't have any tender ports, and I've never really had any problems with embarkation.

Carnival's embarkation is a little different than what I'm used to. We first entered a line and got to these little temporary carts where our passports were scanned. We were told that we'd complete our check-in and get our keys after we went through security.

Security was possibly the quickest part.

The check-in line wasn't too bad, though. We were told that our rooms would be ready at 12:30, but it was 12:15 when we finished taking our embarkation picture. So the entire process of embarkation (crazed parking and luggage argument included) was approximately 45 minutes. Not too bad. I didn't feel like I missed out at all not having Faster to the Fun.

FINALLY! We made it! (Almost)

13413149244_0e87e24c17_b.jpg

Also, this was the only photo I bought, and it was a very last-minute decision. I never even bothered looking for our other photos.

We entered the ship in the atrium, and I was a little surprised to see that the bar was already surrounded by people trying to get drinks! It was rather chaotic. We decided to head on to our room since it was almost 12:30. The cabin stewards were in the halls scurrying to get everything ready, and I felt a bit obtrusive. When we found our room, the door was propped open, and I expressed my concern to Max that it might not be ready. He was ready to ditch the bags, though. We asked one of the cabin stewards in the hall if it was okay for us to enter, and she said that it was fine and un-propped the door for us.

13413002985_e4b8b0cd3f_b.jpg

Max is rather accustomed to my photo reviews, now. He knows not to run and jump on the bed as soon as he gets in the room...... naturally, he opted to sit in the window.

13413360674_065624f377_b.jpg

My first impression was that the room was really bland. Perhaps I was too adjusted to the more contemporary and plush rooms on the Royal Princess and Norwegian Epic. The decor on the Breeze is very plain and basic. I was no fan of the brown pleather they used on the couch, but I did have a good idea of what our room would look like already (and already knew that I would not like the couch) from other CCer's photo reviews.

What we did have was outstanding storage space. We had four closets, and between the two of us, we only used three (hanging space for each of us and we shared the closet with the shelves). There was a spot for everything, and we even had leftover storage. I believe this is the cleanest I have ever kept a stateroom, and I give credit to the fabulous amount of storage. And perhaps Max is just easier to pick up after than Rachel....

13413002555_b7581d533e_b.jpg

13413114433_9cb6976246_b.jpg

It was a spacious cabin and I believe larger in square footage than our deluxe balcony cabin on the Royal Princess.

And the other wonderful (yet completely unnecessary for two people) thing about our cabin was that we had split bathrooms - with two showers! Yes, Max and I each had our own shower! It didn't make that much of a difference for us because Max doesn't take as long as me to get ready, so being able to shower at the same time and each have our own sink didn't really speed up our preparation time. However, this would be a wonderful thing to have when sharing a room with my sister, and it would also be really helpful for families with children because not only are there two bathrooms, but one bathroom has a bathtub.

13413113783_d202e562f7_b.jpg

I took the bathroom with the tub.

13413112323_49a6fbd9f5_b.jpg

And the other bathroom had the typical cruise ship shower with a toilet and larger vanity.

13413111863_3bc744ef48_b.jpg

13413109643_889e5d8b21_b.jpg

13412995565_1301b5da68_b.jpg

Edited by LittleMissMagic

13413110403_4a47ec90b2_b.jpg

I do like Carnival's graphics. I think they are doing a great job with their branding.

13413107493_83075ef7dd_b.jpg

Overall, I really enjoyed our room. We had a great amount of space and storage - honestly more than we needed for the two of us, but having more is never a bad thing... I think this would be a great room for families and that you could comfortably fit a child or two in this room. There was no pullman bunk, so I'm wondering if the room has a maximum capacity of three or if the sofa converts into a double bed. Perhaps someone else on CruiseCritic has the answer!

By the end of the week, I was no longer turned off by the lack of sleek, plush decor. The room was very comfortable and works well for a cruise vacation. (But the brown pleather couch.... still not a fan!)

Little Miss, I am experiencing some serious envy of that family cabin you got. I would have loved a bathtub on our cruise. I am doing a Breeze review this week, too, and I am really enjoying your review and the fantastic photos. Well done!

My husband and I are curious about how you won the free cruise. Ok...I'll admit it. We are green with envy, again!:D Was it some random promotion, or what?

In any case, I will be following your excellent review and reliving our cruise through your narrative and pictures. I wish you many, many happy future cruises and I, like so many on this forum, look forward to reading your future reviews!

Happy sailing!

Little Miss, I am experiencing some serious envy of that family cabin you got. I would have loved a bathtub on our cruise. I am doing a Breeze review this week, too, and I am really enjoying your review and the fantastic photos. Well done!

My husband and I are curious about how you won the free cruise. Ok...I'll admit it. We are green with envy, again!:D Was it some random promotion, or what?

In any case, I will be following your excellent review and reliving our cruise through your narrative and pictures. I wish you many, many happy future cruises and I, like so many on this forum, look forward to reading your future reviews!

Happy sailing!

Yes! Your "What We Experience vs. Word on the Street" review caught my attention - a very clever way to construct a review, and I am enjoying it, as well!

The free cabin promotion was completely random, and there were a few threads questioning who got it/why/demographics/etc. a couple of weeks ago. I think there is a thread this week about a CCer's 19-year-old son who got it (who isn't even old enough to cruise without a parent/guardian). From what I've read on here, they gave away 1 million free cabin offers to randomly selected VIFP members. Some have been on many cruises, some haven't cruised recently, and some have never cruised before. There was really no logical pattern. I am the only person in my family who got the free cabin offer, and I am incredibly grateful. It was also quite a fortunate scenario in the time that I received a letter - that I was home to open it (parents might have tossed it) and that it came when I was looking to book a cruise.

Ah Ha! Found another of your reviews!! I'm still getting notices when someone posts to one of your other reviews and received one from the Royal Princess review that led me here!!

Looking forward to more (especially since all I can think about right now is our next cruise ;))!

Oops.... just realized that I included some incorrect information here. Not sure what I was thinking! The bold information is wrong:

Some have been on many cruises, some haven't cruised recently, and some have never cruised before.

Everyone who received the promotion has cruised before with Carnival (otherwise they wouldn't be VIFP members). What I might have been trying to say is that some people who received the free cruise were minors and have actually never paid for their cruise (their parents/someone else paid their fare). Also, some people claimed to spending a lot onboard, while others say they rarely have any onboard charges.

My apologies for the incorrect information!

So I'm trying this multi-quote function.... does anyone know how to do more than two at a time?

Love your reviews & am subscribing!! Thanks for sharing your vacation with us!

Thank you! Glad to have you reading along!

Ah Ha! Found another of your reviews!! I'm still getting notices when someone posts to one of your other reviews and received one from the Royal Princess review that led me here!!

Looking forward to more (especially since all I can think about right now is our next cruise ;))!

I noticed that thread had popped up again. I think this Carnival Breeze review may have sparked some interest! Glad you found me!!

Great pics. What is your go to lens for your D7100?

Thank you! My go-to lens is definitely my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens. It's a good focal length for my type of trip report shooting, and I really love the bokeh that the f2.8 aperture allows me.

Yeah!! Glad to find another of your reviews! I enjoyed your Princess reviews, and look forward to following along on this one.

Glad to have you following along!

We thought it was funny that despite the contemporary furnishings, the Conrad still had corded phones!

13388149294_0f689a06d0_b.jpg

Miami by vshingl, on Flickr

If they didn't have corded phones, my guess is they'd be replacing A LOT of missing receivers.

Edited by mairinmaureen

I've never seen a bartender put olives in an apple martini before.

Weird, right? It was apple, though! Or at least I ordered an apple. I don't think it tasted very apple..... tasted more like Vodka! :D

Awesome review so far! :) The hotel you stayed in looked amazing! DH and I hope to sail on the Breeze someday soon. Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Yay! Another review!

Loved your family Royal (and Disney) Holiday review - and all the pics. Thanks for sharing this one with us too ...

I apologize, but the new Flickr is giving me trouble! I used the old version as long as possible, but it seems that the new layout is unavoidable, now.

This is my first time reading your review. Thanks for sharing your cruise with us and I can't wait to read more once I finish this. DH and I are cruising on the Dream in October and I enjoy reading reviews for pre-cruise, post-cruise, and during the cruise ideas!

I apologize, but the new Flickr is giving me trouble! I used the old version as long as possible, but it seems that the new layout is unavoidable, now.

I feel your pain. They made it much harder to find the proper link to photos, for message boards.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

We entered the ship in the atrium, and I was a little surprised to see that the bar was already surrounded by people trying to get drinks! It was rather chaotic. We decided to head on to our room since it was almost 12:30. The cabin stewards were in the halls scurrying to get everything ready, and I felt a bit obtrusive. When we found our room, the door was propped open, and I expressed my concern to Max that it might not be ready. He was ready to ditch the bags, though. We asked one of the cabin stewards in the hall if it was okay for us to enter, and she said that it was fine and un-propped the door for us.

13413002985_e4b8b0cd3f_b.jpg

Max is rather accustomed to my photo reviews, now. He knows not to run and jump on the bed as soon as he gets in the room...... naturally, he opted to sit in the window.

13413360674_065624f377_b.jpg

My first impression was that the room was really bland. Perhaps I was too adjusted to the more contemporary and plush rooms on the Royal Princess and Norwegian Epic. The decor on the Breeze is very plain and basic. I was no fan of the brown pleather they used on the couch, but I did have a good idea of what our room would look like already (and already knew that I would not like the couch) from other CCer's photo reviews.

What we did have was outstanding storage space. We had four closets, and between the two of us, we only used three (hanging space for each of us and we shared the closet with the shelves). There was a spot for everything, and we even had leftover storage. I believe this is the cleanest I have ever kept a stateroom, and I give credit to the fabulous amount of storage. And perhaps Max is just easier to pick up after than Rachel....

13413002555_b7581d533e_b.jpg

13413114433_9cb6976246_b.jpg

It was a spacious cabin and I believe larger in square footage than our deluxe balcony cabin on the Royal Princess.

Wow!!! I think you are the first person that I've heard NOT like the décor of the staterooms...lol

I LOVE the Breeze décor, and would take that ANY DAY, over the others....

However, I cannot compare to NCL, or Princess, or Disney.:D:D

Wow!!! I think you are the first person that I've heard NOT like the décor of the staterooms...lol

I LOVE the Breeze décor, and would take that ANY DAY, over the others....

However, I cannot compare to NCL, or Princess, or Disney.:D:D

Well, I'm an architecture major, so I guess that makes me a bit of a design snob! It's definitely better than several of the other ships I've sailed on, but in the way of new ships, I think it's rather plain and bland.

So I'm trying this multi-quote function.... does anyone know how to do more than two at a time?

I figured out during my last review that if you open the multi quote in a new tab then do that again with the next 2, you can copy & paste those into the first new tab and you'll have 4. You can do that as many times as needed.

Did that sound confusing?

Edited by Cupcrazy

I figured out during my last review that if you open the multi quote in a new tab then do that again with the next 2, you can copy & paste those into the first new tab and you'll have 4. You can do that as many times as needed.

Did that sound confusing?

That sounds like a solution! Thanks!

I wanted to be able to just click the "+" all the way down, but I kept losing all but the last two. Looks like copy/paste is the way to go!

After settling into our cabin, we went to the Lido deck to get lunch. Boy, was it a madhouse up there! The lines were ridiculously long and people were still toting around extra baggage. Max got in line for pizza while I went to the bar to try to purchase the soda package.

The bar at the aft pool was ridiculously understaffed. There were two bartenders working there, and it was swamped. Not to mention, they weren't paying much attention as to who arrived when, so you had to be really aggressive if you wanted service. I was not aggressive enough. In the time that I sat down, three men came and were served before me. After guy three (and his wife and three children) passed me, I had had enough. I left the bar and rejoined Max in the pizza line which hadn't moved at all.

I was at my breaking point and complaining to Max that the bar was understaffed and it was too crowded and I really hoped that it wouldn't be like this all week. The woman in front of me turned and told me that it would all calm down because everyone would get drunk and then be passed out or hungover in the morning. Well, that's reassuring!

Finally, they started cranking out pizzas and Max and I were able to sit down and enjoy our lunch.

Max asked me what I wanted to do after lunch, and I suggested that we explore the ship.

13431047274_69052bc762_b.jpg

It's funny... we first found ourselves in the arcade which we thought we could walk through, but it turned out to be a dead end.

13430680705_c5d05ce6c0_b.jpg

Here is the teen club -

13430680435_e195b6a7dc_b.jpg

The Ovation Theater -

13431046404_9fd063c28c_b.jpg

13430797963_72d728d6b8_b.jpg

I do like the set-up of Carnival's theaters with the benches and tables. And I think their multi-level theater with two floors of entry works much better than the single entry-level theaters on Princess ships.

13431045224_07bf26bf7f_b.jpg

The atrium bar was still very crowded, but it had definitely calmed down since we boarded. Perhaps more people were finding the way to their staterooms.

13431044514_c71ab1852d_b.jpg

13431113085_503ddd3b36_b.jpg

13431483084_91a3248306_b.jpg

One thing I love about this ship is the wrap-around outdoor deck with seating and cantilevered hot tubs on deck 5 (my dad's favorite thing about the Carnival Dream was the cantilevered hot tubs, and to this day, he still mentions how he really liked the hot tubs on the Dream).

13430796073_cba370cc30_b.jpg

13430796003_b6f06b833e_b.jpg