Spring Break: Elation out of New Orleans Review

SmittyCo

We cruised on the Carnival Elation out of New Orleans March 22 -27. It was myself (36ish), DH (51ish), and 4 kids (daughter 12 and sons 8, 10, 11).

We drove all night to get to New Orleans (NO), which we find the best way to travel! We wanted to show the kids the boat right away, so around 8am we drove down the Erato Port. Dumb move, as there was disembarkation occurring and we got stuck in the traffic. But, it really didn’t take more than 15 minutes to get out of it. Our DD had never been to NO, so we drove around the French Quarter area a bit. We parked in the lots close to Bourbon Street, and spent time walking around the area and Jackson Square. It was foggy and damp, had to wear jackets. We ate at the Market Café, which is my favorite place for a breakfast of champions: gumbo and a hurricane. We were down there about 2.5 hours, and parking ended up being $14.

1393017_10203544668482815_1787281742_n.jpg

We went to Erato to park in the cruise terminal … as always it’s easy to get in and park. We parked on level 4, which was good. The last 2 cruises we had to park on the top open level. The porters were great, and said because we had the FTTF our luggage would be there by 1130 (it was 11am).

Since October, they changed the way you go through the terminal, and the terminal set up itself. It used to be you would get off the elevators, go through the doors outside, get your boarding passes verified and enter again up an escalator. Now, you go left and directly to the security area. There wasn’t a line there at this point, and it was easy. The inside of the terminal had been rearranged, so that the FTTF and VIP cruisers went to the left inside of the right. We were 2nd in line for FTTF line. The terminal area was fully, and I’m not sure what zone was waiting to board (we’ve never cruised when we had to sit in a zone). The lady took a long time to check us in, due to camera issues. By the time we were released to go, the entire terminal had gotten up to go in.  There wasn’t any line for the FTTF/VIP group … and we had to wait. Before you would show your cards/boarding pass to the lady, enter the boarding ramps and get your card scanned once you enter the board. This time, you get your card scanned, enter the boarding ramps, and then show your card once again on the boat. We got to our rooms to drop off our Diet Mt Dews, purses, wine about 1140 … and our bags were there.

When we came to this terminal in October, we didn't board until about 1pm. It took an 45 minutes to park and walk onto the boat. I remember our luggage being there before the ship left. I would have to say the FTTF wasn't worth it ... at least from this port. But I bought it, worried that waiting in line with the kids would've made us all grouchy.

1506958_10203548644542214_743061336_n.jpg

We are inside cabin cruisers, as we prefer the price. We had two cabins on the upper level that were side by side. Elation does not have connecting rooms. One room was set up with two twins and a trundle. Our room was set up as a king with a trundle. We (being the adults) decided we didn’t want a kid in our room … lol…. So we had that trundle removed. We gave the kids the option of a king (with the three boys sleeping in it) and a trundle. Or leaving it as it was, and they could share a twin or rotate sleeping on the floor (which they think is cool). They chose the latter. We met our cabin Steward, Darwin. It amazes me how they always immediately know your name. He was probably the best steward we’ve ever had …. Completely fantastic!!! The rooms are older, with the storage box in the corner, and that takes a good amount of room out….I hope they get rid of those!

If you haven’t been on the Carnival Elation, she is a smaller ship, and if you look closely, you can see the wear and tear on her. However, she is still beautiful and a great boat. We prefer the smaller ships, and especially since it was our first time with the kids, we wanted to be in a small ship.

The normal Mongolian grill was open and yummy. I normally get the schezuan but it's been too hot for me. I got the Thai BBQ and it still had some kick to it! My dd got food from inside Tiffany's which was Italian, and the guys got burgers, hot dogs, etc. I also got a salad, and noted that the ranch dressing was thin and didn't have much flavor to it. But it was all good and hot and the lines weren’t too bad. DH doesn’t drink, but I DO! He ordered me two DOD … and they were great.

1239482_10203546399686094_640533500_n.jpg

We normally cruise during the fall, so the spring break crowd was different for us …. Lol. They were certainly there to have fun! So the crowd was great, the sun had finally broke through the fog.

We went up and toured camp carnival. (We toured it and quizzed the staff during our cruise in October, as I’m a nervous Mother!) They were great and the kids were excited. After the Muster drill, we had orientation for the Camps in the Cole Porter lounge. They explained the activities available, including the after-hours (pay extra!) time. After looking and the fun times each day, I realized they make it difficult for parents with young ones. They schedule the adult comedy, dancing, talent show, etc. AFTER the normal camp hours (til 10), so that you use their extra sitting services. It’s $6.75 per kid, but 15% gratuity after 10-12. A few nights it was til 3 am, and they delivered your kid to your cabin. One night was a Mardi Gras party, that was $33/kid extra. My kids enjoyed it, but I’m not sure if it was really worth the extra! My 12 year old opted not to join most of the Circle C activities and hung out with us most of the time. She wanted to do the late night activities, but there never was many kids there (volleyball, dodgeball, etc. around 9:45pm-12 am). They divide camp carnival into age groups: 2-5, 6-8, and 9-11. They do some activities together (towel animal theater), but kept them separate. Most of the time the 9-11 year olds were in the Circle C room. I allowed my 10 and 11 year old to sign themselves out, as long as they checked in with me and showed up at lunch, dinner and 10 pm. If they did not, they lost those privileges. They were excellent and kept up their end of the deal. We did bring walkie talkies, but never utilized them. The 8 year old stayed in camp carnival until I got him. The staff was fantastic about verifying who I was and making sure I had the right kid. They took my sail and sign card each time, and that made me feel better. My youngest probably had the best time with camp carnival, lots of crafts, games, etc. The older two boys made friends, and I would often see them walking in a line of about 6-8 boys, eating ice cream cones! So my first experience with camp carnival, I give an A+.

The Muster drill was typical … but we were on the lido deck (the dancing area), which got very warm! No surprises with the drill. The sail and sign party was fun for the kids, as they’ve never participated in any dances, etc. Departure was on time, and I really don’t remember much of it, as we were dancing!

We ate dinner in the Imagination Dining room, our dinner mates were from our same town. Sadly, they were a “higher class” of people, and didn’t engage with us much. We still enjoyed our time; the food was the same as the other cruises. Not super great, not bad. Overall, we noticed a difference in portion sizes (smaller). The kids really enjoyed picking from the menu.

We did buy DH and the older three kids a bubble card. It was cheaper for the kids, I want to say $4/day. Total for all four cards was $89 … and totally worth it.

We went to the camp carnival welcome party … a fun dance party for kids and parents. There was dancing and games, and even a dance off competition between kids (gangam style) and parents (I’m Bad). I won the GOLD medal for best dance mom, and best dance dad went to a dad who did the MJ spin and splits … OUCH! They gave fun awards for best dance boy, best dance girl, and best dance family. We had fun!

1958408_10203548492618416_65528693_n.jpg

I don’t think we did anything that night, except went to bed at 10 pm! DH and I had been up from 5am Friday morning until 10 pm Saturday!

Edited by SmittyCo

Thanks for the review. We will be on Elation next week. Quick question....when you arrived at port around 8:00 to see the ship would they have allowed you to park that early? We will driving in just like you did and want to park and walk around for a bit. Thanks:)

Thanks for the review. We will be on Elation next week. Quick question....when you arrived at port around 8:00 to see the ship would they have allowed you to park that early? We will driving in just like you did and want to park and walk around for a bit. Thanks:)

No, they wouldn't let us in!

Nice to see another Elation review. Subscribing.

Kind of disappointed to here FTTF was a bit of a waste at this port. I bought it (honestly I think I've bought into the hype reading about it on these forums lol) but I think I'll hang onto it anyway. Could still come in handy I guess.

Way to go Dancing Queen!:D Love the review so far and pics...keep it coming. Love the pic of the Hurricane...it looked so refreshing. Wish I had one right now as we just had a 5.1 earthquake here in CA!:eek: No biggie, we're used to it...but it's a good excuse for that Hurricane!:D Looking forward to the rest of your review.

How early did they let you in at the port?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I was wondering the same thing. Looking back at her first post, sounds like Seacaps was taking their luggage at 11am.