Wheel chair, maybe?

jjdshoe

DH is going to have back surgery shortly before our cruise and we may or may not need to bring a wheel chair. Can I book a modified room for "just in case" we need the wheel chair. At minimum he will be using a cane at the time of our cruise.

You are free to book the modified room, no one asks for proof of disability. I book these rooms for travel with my mother. The only differance that I've noted is that the bathrooms are larger and have no "lip" upon entering the shower.

I would like to suggest you call carnival, either the 1-800 # or your PVP as the handicap cabins don't always show up on line. You can Google Carnival insert ship name handicap cabins and get a listing of all handicaps. Then go to the carnival web site under deck plans for your ship choice and check out what locations you like best. I just recently did this when booking our next family cruise as mom needs a handicap cabin due to mobility issues. We are then able to get cabins near/next to each other.

if you dont explain your situation to carnival and if they dont note it on your account, they can switch you out of the room at any time before the cruise starts.

call them and tell them so you can have it documented. just booking it will not be enough.

If you're having back surgery, I would definitely book an accessible cabin. The showers don't have a lip to step over, there is generally more space around the furniture, and the doors are wider. All would benefit you from playing twister in your cabin/bath. As others have noted, if you do not designate yourself as needing an accessible cabin, they can bump you.

Confirm what the accessible cabin actually has. Some are modified and some are fully accessible. A full time WC user will have issues in a modified cabin.

Also check on the Disabled Cruising board.