Just back from Singapore holiday

Widebay

You are a couple of the world. My son is doing his medical internship in Sydney and graduated from med school I Wolonggong, I can only hope the people influencing him are as kind as both of you.

Thanks for sharing, the great thing about this forum is it is up to the reader to know what appeals to them. With knowledge comes power.

We landed in Singapore last night and have been around town today using the MRT. I certainly agree it is easy to use, fast and clean. Thanks for the info on the rechargeable cards, we bought a couple today.

Transportation is really reasonable in Singapore and so easy to use. People will help you out if you are lost and the drivers are ever so polite.

Try the food stalls under the Flyer. Good food and reasonable. You can pick and choose. We were told to go there by the concierge at our hotel as well as the Visitors Centre. Lots of locals eat there.

No fuss travel -

Singapore Flyer is one attraction that we haven't been on yet, and I didn't know there were food stalls under the flyer, or near it.

DW & I have discussed doing the flyer on our next trip to Singapore, which maybe in July/Aug this year (to look after our grandson, whilst his parents are out of the country on business)

In Feb 2015 we are returning again, for a cruise on Sapphire Princess out of Singapore visiting Penang, KL, Singapore, Ko Samui, Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City, then back to Singapore. Never sailed on the Sapphire Princess.

We liked the look of this cruise as it gives us time in Singapore before & after with our son & family, and also visit some ports were never been to, eg. Penang, KL, Ko Samui & Ho Chi Minh City.

Then on the 5th June the same year, we fly back to Singapore for 3 nights stay, then board P&O ship "Pacific Jewel" - sailing via Semerang, Bali, Komodo Island, East Timor, then 2 islands in Papua New Guinea, arriving back into Brisbane 21st June, again another cruise which gives us time to visit our son & his family, then visit places we haven't been to yet, and arrive back in Brisbane, with only 4 hrs drive home.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has done one of these above mentioned cruises & what they thought of the ports visiited. We have visited Bangkok many years ago, but none of the other places.

My apologies for any missing words in my last posting. I am touch typist, and sometimes the fingers move quicker my brain/eyes;)

Widebay

They have carts underneath that look semi permanent. You can actually see them cook the food. It was fast and quick as well as delicious. We ended up taking a taxi back to our hotel because by the time we had eaten dinner and had done the Flyer it was dark and we really didn't know our way back to the hotel. Also at that point we had walked enough that day and needed to get back to pack our suitcases for the trip home.:eek: We enjoyed doing the Flyer, husband got some lovely pictures, and it definitely was not crowded at that time. If it is crowded they have exhibits along the passage to the Flyer for you to read which are quite interesting. We stopped and read the exhibits even though there was not a lineup for the Flyer.

No fuss traveller - thank you for your information. I have downloaded your info for out next trip to Singapore. I love this cruise chat board, you get so much help from other cool cruisers. Keep it up guys.

Widebay,

Your future travel and cruise plans sound wonderful!

It wasn't until I travelled to India, (this time last year), that in the lead up with all our planning that I discovered CC and TA. There was a wealth of information on these forums from people who had experienced all sorts of things during their travels, that helped us plan an unforgettable holiday. So I hope in some small way I can help others have a fabulous vacation, by posting about something I have experienced or observed.

As for saying 'Thank You' or 'G'day' or 'Please', it is a shame how so many people just do not seem to do that anymore. Good manners will get you so much further than being ignorant or rude.

To all about to travel may you have an unforgettable time:D

No fuss travel -

Singapore Flyer is one attraction that we haven't been on yet, and I didn't know there were food stalls under the flyer, or near it.

DW & I have discussed doing the flyer on our next trip to Singapore, which maybe in July/Aug this year (to look after our grandson, whilst his parents are out of the country on business)

In Feb 2015 we are returning again, for a cruise on Sapphire Princess out of Singapore visiting Penang, KL, Singapore, Ko Samui, Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City, then back to Singapore. Never sailed on the Sapphire Princess.

We liked the look of this cruise as it gives us time in Singapore before & after with our son & family, and also visit some ports were never been to, eg. Penang, KL, Ko Samui & Ho Chi Minh City.

Then on the 5th June the same year, we fly back to Singapore for 3 nights stay, then board P&O ship "Pacific Jewel" - sailing via Semerang, Bali, Komodo Island, East Timor, then 2 islands in Papua New Guinea, arriving back into Brisbane 21st June, again another cruise which gives us time to visit our son & his family, then visit places we haven't been to yet, and arrive back in Brisbane, with only 4 hrs drive home.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has done one of these above mentioned cruises & what they thought of the ports visiited. We have visited Bangkok many years ago, but none of the other places.

Widebay

My wife and myself are on the same cruise, plus the one previous to it. We are spending 5 nights in BAngkok and then overnighting in SIngapore before the cruise, which then gives us three separate port days in Singapore, so your info is very useful to us.

Have you looked in on the roll call for the cruise, as there is plenty of info being given on the various ports of call.

Phil

Philwil - thank you for your information & advice.

Strangely enough, last night I researched Princess cruise website, looked up shore excursion section, then clicked on details of the excursion, and it showed a lot more re each excursion.

For example - in Ho Chi Minh City, the size of the ship depends on where it will be berthed, and this is what I found out......

(a) small ships get to Saigon Ports, the city central, eg. Seaborn, Silversea, Nautica Oceana get right to Nha Rong Port, just 5 minutes walk to city central.

(b) Larger ships get to the Ports in District 07 & Nha Be, like 7 Sea Mariner, Ocean Princess...it takes 15 to 30 minutes to the city centre.

© Large Ships, like Diamond Princess, Amzara, American Holland - dock at Phu My Port, about 100 kms away from Saigon, that takes 2 hrs to drive to the city.

I guess being on Sapphire Princess, which I think is considered a "large" ship, that we fall into catergory ©

I am always trying to ascertain where the cruise ships berth or moor

At Ko Samui, I have an idea it might be at Nathon (no doubt tenders are used), then they bus you around to Chaweng Beach (where I would like to have a swim/coffee/shop, etc.....not sure how long that would take in a bus or car.

Philwil - thank you for your information & advice.

Strangely enough, last night I researched Princess cruise website, looked up shore excursion section, then clicked on details of the excursion, and it showed a lot more re each excursion.

For example - in Ho Chi Minh City, the size of the ship depends on where it will be berthed, and this is what I found out......

(a) small ships get to Saigon Ports, the city central, eg. Seaborn, Silversea, Nautica Oceana get right to Nha Rong Port, just 5 minutes walk to city central.

(b) Larger ships get to the Ports in District 07 & Nha Be, like 7 Sea Mariner, Ocean Princess...it takes 15 to 30 minutes to the city centre.

© Large Ships, like Diamond Princess, Amzara, American Holland - dock at Phu My Port, about 100 kms away from Saigon, that takes 2 hrs to drive to the city.

I guess being on Sapphire Princess, which I think is considered a "large" ship, that we fall into catergory ©

I am always trying to ascertain where the cruise ships berth or moor

At Ko Samui, I have an idea it might be at Nathon (no doubt tenders are used), then they bus you around to Chaweng Beach (where I would like to have a swim/coffee/shop, etc.....not sure how long that would take in a bus or car.

I concur with your research. HCM is a 2 hour drive from the port along very busy roads with heavy traffic. For this reason it is being highly recommended to use ship organised tours.

Ko Samui on the other hand is totally the opposite. It is my understanding that we are at Nathong also, but we could well be tendered in. The island is only around 55 Kms in circumference and therefore very easy to get around. If you are looking for beaches, the best are on the opposite side of the island from Nathong. Chaweng being among them,can be very busy, a little more research could give you much more picturesque, less populated, and good snorkelling.

So I am led to believe through my research.

Phil

For us the highlight of our trip to Singapore was our visit to the Museum at Changi, which is both fascinating and highly emotional.We were joined by our 3 children and son-in-law who flew out specially to join us for our visit. We were able to light a candle in remembrance.

My husband's father was a POW building the infamous railway so we knew a little of what to expect, but the story of the brutality meted out to so many by the Japanese made us feel grateful for the huge sacrifice of those men and women.

If you tire of the glitz and the glamour, the shopping malls and the huge hotels then make a detour to this small and modest museum. We came away with a deep sense of gratitude to the British, Australian, and American soldiers and airmen who sacrificed their lives to try and bring peace to the world.

The Singaporeans also suffered greatly at the hands of the Japanese, as did many thousands of Chinese.

We, too, agree that Singapore is a lovely, clean, safe and friendly city now, and a great place to visit. Transport is cheap and efficient and we found taxis to be very reasonable. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip down the river - you can hop on and off at various points along the way, and the little boats are very comfortable and a great way to see the sights.

By the way, you can return your MRT ticket at the airport after your trip and they will give you a small refund.

Amazingly, my FIL survived the horrors of his internment and lived to a ripe old age - late 90's - despite the deprivations and the effect it had on his health. He was a brave and kind man, who simply got on with life after his return, and rarely spoke of what he endured.

Edited by ellie1145

Ellie1145 - I never try to use up my balance on my MRT ezi-link card, mainly because my wife & I both have a MRT card, and because we return to Singapore every 6 months or so, to see our son, wife & grandson at their unit in Bukit Timah, we can't see the reason for getting rid of the card. The balance stays on your card forever, until you return & use it again.

I think we still have $20 SGD left on each of our Ezi-Link MRT cards. When we return, perhaps in 6 months, 12 months or 2 years, we just go to a MRT Station nearby , put our card into the machine, press top us, the amount we want to top up with, and bingo, our balance will show the new top up figure.

Most other countries, your card & balance would have expired months ago,

but not here in Singapore.

Phillwill, - my wife's uncle Gordon was killed at Mersing (Malaysia) when the Japanese Army were moving south towards Singapore.

We have various medals, documents and a beautiful carved wooden box, that he sent to his mother in Australia, before his death. 12 months ago, my mother in law, who now had the box., asked if I would like to have Gordon's medals, etc and the box he sent from Singapore, of course, I did, I will thrilled and honoured to keep those items in the family, and hopefully, pass onto one of our grand children.

There is a river boat cruise that takes you through more of the historical part of Singapore. It was one of the tours we purchased when we bought a package with the HOHO bus at the visitors centre. We quite enjoyed the cruise as it showed us a different side of Singapore and you could get some lovely pictures which you just could not get from land.

Can you elaborate on the river boat you mentioned.

With pleasure!

We walked across to the river from our hotel and there are drop off points on each side of the river, although we had to walk to Clark Quay to get our tickets. We opted for the hop on hop off ticket which gave us a free river cruise. This took about 40 mins and we stayed on it for a round trip. We then got on another boat which took us back down the river as we wanted to go to Marina Bay Sands. We had to change boats just past the Merlion to get another boat across to Marina Bay Sands.

The little boats seem very frequent and we found it all very interesting. They had a video running with a commentary during the river cruise. They are not large, and I think are called bum boats. The boat across to Marina Bay Sands is a much more modern design.

The river is quite small, unlike the Thames, and has very little traffic on it. The boat takes you past many interesting buildings.

It was very relaxing and we really enjoyed it.

Edited by ellie1145

Trend, I think Ellie is referring to "bum boats" that ply the Singapore River with tourists. They are not a large boat. Do a web search on Singapore Bum Boat rides, I am sure it show a picture or two

Ellie1145 - I never try to use up my balance on my MRT ezi-link card, mainly because my wife & I both have a MRT card, and because we return to Singapore every 6 months or so, to see our son, wife & grandson at their unit in Bukit Timah, we can't see the reason for getting rid of the card. The balance stays on your card forever, until you return & use it again.

I think we still have $20 SGD left on each of our Ezi-Link MRT cards. When we return, perhaps in 6 months, 12 months or 2 years, we just go to a MRT Station nearby , put our card into the machine, press top us, the amount we want to top up with, and bingo, our balance will show the new top up figure.

Most other countries, your card & balance would have expired months ago,

but not here in Singapore.

Thank you for that information - we didn't realise that! How fantastic.

Our trip to Singapore was something we had wanted to do for many years and last October we finally managed it. We are so glad we went. It was worth waiting for. A beautiful clean and safe city, although hotels are very expensive!

We did not know if we would ever return which is why we got rid of our tickets at the airport, but now we feel that one day we would like to go back to Singapore.

Singapore MRT Ezi-Link Cards are invaluable to us, that's why we bring ours home, knowing we will use it on our next trip to Singapore & Sth East Asia.

I thought I had seen most places in Singapore, but I did a search on the computer, and I now know that there are probably 20-30 places I haven't visited.

The hotels in the central part of Singapore City are VERY EXPENSIVE. We tend to stay in hotels on the edge of the city, with an MRT station within walking distance. Just keep changing MRT lines until you reach the station your after.

There is a Hotel on East Coast Parkway, called Mercure Grand Roxy (and I'm not an agent for them) which my wife & I have twice before. The daily room rate for 3 night stay is quite good, much less than the expensive hotels in the heart of Singapore. Although there is no MRT station near this Hotel, the hotel has a courtesy bus which takes you/or picks you up at Changi International Airport (arrival or departure), and also will daily drop you to the nearest MRT station, now that's service. The tariff includes a buffet breakfast. There is an overhead pedestrian walkway which takes you over to Parkway Shopping Plaza, and also allows you to rent a bicycle or walk along East Coast Parkway (beaches to swim or do a bit of stand up paddle boarding) - Also on this Parkway is "Big Splash" Waterpark, which my grandson who lives in Singapore just loves.

On our next trip to Singapore in Feb 2015, we are doing a Sth East Asia Cruise on Sapphire Princess, and we hope to stay 3 nights before the cruise with out son & family, then on end of the cruise we will probably stay at Mercure Grand Roxy (short trip to the airport)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, can't help you with Bugis Street markets, haven't been there for years.

I seemed to remember it was near an arcade or in it, with vertical gardens on the wall nearby?

• 2 months later...
We did the Flyer at sunset and my husband got some lovely pictures. There was no line up either which made for ease of boarding. We are glad we did it, but would not do it again. We went to the park where the famous trees are and were not all that impressed with it. We felt it was too expensive for what was offered. Different tastes for different folks. We thought the Botanical Gardens were way superior.

Would you mind telling me what time you took your flight to enjoy sunset? I am thinking the 5.30pm flight would be the best for sunset (in Nov), but am having trouble booking that time slot. Most flights don't show 5.30pm as an option on the website. We will be there Thurs & Fri.