Does the Jade ever miss a port

karen327

We will be on a 10 day eastern Europe cruise on the NCL Jade this coming November and I was wondering how often the Jade misses ports due to weather. We have had our share of bad luck with this happening in the carribbean but would hate to miss the major attractions that we are traveling all the way to Europe to see. I understand there will be no tendering for this cruise.

I have done 15 NCL cruises so far, 5 in the Caribbean and 10 in Europe. On Caribbean cruises we have missed ports a couple of times due to bad weather - but that has never happened on any of our European (Mediterranean) cruises. So it does not happen often - I have actually never heard of it so I wouldn't worry too much about it if I was you.....

We missed Rhodes on one Jade sailing due to weather. It doesn't happen often but it does happen once in a while. I would think that the larger mainland ports wouldn't be missed much, if at all, but the smaller island ports may be harder to navigate in high winds.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We will be on a 10 day eastern Europe cruise on the NCL Jade this coming November and

I was wondering how often the Jade misses ports due to weather. We have had our share of bad luck with this happening in the carribbean but would hate to miss the major attractions that we are traveling all the way to Europe to see. I understand there will be no tendering for this cruise.

The Jade just missed Tunis, Tunisia, but not due to weather.

It's a good thing you are not concerned about missing ports due to politics.

We will be on a 10 day eastern Europe cruise on the NCL Jade this coming November and I was wondering how often the Jade misses ports due to weather. We have had our share of bad luck with this happening in the carribbean but would hate to miss the major attractions that we are traveling all the way to Europe to see. I understand there will be no tendering for this cruise.

Last July, we missed Athens because of strikes (not weather), we went to Crete instead. Also, Santorini and Mykonos can be missed if there are high winds. We were lucky in Mykonos, we got there early enough to dock (we were supposed to tender). The Royal Princess was supposed to dock but because we got there first, the captain of the Royal Princess decided not to tender because of the high winds and the passengers got a day at sea.

We missed Santorini in 2012 due to high winds.

We missed Sardinia on the Jade in January due to forecast high winds. We stopped at Palma instead and that was a pleasant and lovely port and our planned sea day was moved back a day due to this change! I think you have to be flexible and remember you are on vacation and if the port is missed for safety reasons, I don't get upset in the least!;)

Thanks for the info. We are not scheduled to go to any islands so it looks like the weather shouldn't be a big issue, I didn't think of the politics though. You never know what they are going to be doing in greece and turkey.