mosquitos

travsmom

I think it depends on how reactive your body is to mosquito/bug bites. I was in Lamanai with my wife and 2.5 year old daughter in December of 2012 (NCL Cruise). I got 16 itching red bites (not sure if they are from mosquitoes or some other bugs), my wife and daughter thankfully didn't get any. The reason I say I am not sure if they are mosquito bites is because the area around the bite did not swell up as would a normal mosquito bite. Instead it turned into a red flat scab that took about three weeks to go away.

Don't laugh but..

somehow a mosquito got into our inside cabin on Deck 2! :D

We live in mosquito-land so we know what they look and sound like.

Reported the annoyance to "Stuart our stewart" and he took care of it.

We never saw the 'skeeter again

but how the heck he got all the way in there remains beyond us.

We can only guess he flew his way in there, bcoz he didn't have a key card with him :D

Wasn't bad at all this past week. Not a single skeeter to be found! :)

However, sooooo not a fan of this port. Besides the obvious poverty, any land excursion takes WAY to long to get to (2 hour ride of nothing to see). But the tubing was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would bring bug spray or wipes with me just in case. It can depend upon how wet it is and there are certain times of the year that they are a lot worse here. Usually in mid to late summer but it may be earlier there.

I think you'll be fine. A lot of my reasoning has to do with the fact the trip the ruins is during the early morning/afternoon hours. It's Belize, so it'll be buggy...but just like Florida or other parts of the deep south, the skeeters' come out the most near dusk.

I did an all-day ruins trip in Belize with Carnival 3 or 4 years ago, and didn't get bit much that I remember. I used Bullfrog Bug N' Sun, reapplied a few times during the excursion. I swear by this stuff, and use it for every time I'll be in the deep woods or if I need to do yardwork and there's been an increased report of West Nile in my area.

A big thing I didn't factor in during a lot of cruise excursions has been ants. Even with wearing socks and sneakers, I've gotten a few nasty ant bites in various countries...

My neighbor had gone to Belize years ago (not on a cruise) and went into the jungle for a hike....he came home with bites....one in particular wouldn't go away and kept itching....one day he noticed that a little creature kept trying to come out of the opening of the bite....went to the dermatologist and he had to have some of the area cut out because the Dr. said it was some type of bug that had laid an egg and the larvae was trying to get out but couldn't because it had some barbs on the end of it and it was keeping it in.........that totally grossed me out and I leave for a cruise in 3 weeks, stopping in Belize!!! Don't think I'll venture too far from the ship and I WILL have bug spray. I know this can happen anywhere, and I certainly am no stranger to mosquitos being in NOLA but......ewwwwww.

I was wondering how bad the mosquitos are in Belize if you go on a tour to the ruins?

I would bring some deep woods off .My wife was bit up bad in Roatan one cruise by no see ums (sand flies) and she had the bites(red and itchy) for months after the cruise that wouldn't go away

We went on the ruins & river wallace tour (via Carnival) on our Feb 2014 cruise and i noticed a couple of mosquitoes but never got bit.

However, i did find a couple of seed ticks crawling on me while we were at the ruins and I wasn't in the shrubbery at all. the ticks crawling on me kinda freaked me out since i hadn't been in the bushes or anything. We did full body checks on each of us after that excursions.

My neighbor had gone to Belize years ago (not on a cruise) and went into the jungle for a hike....he came home with bites....one in particular wouldn't go away and kept itching....one day he noticed that a little creature kept trying to come out of the opening of the bite....went to the dermatologist and he had to have some of the area cut out because the Dr. said it was some type of bug that had laid an egg and the larvae was trying to get out but couldn't because it had some barbs on the end of it and it was keeping it in.........that totally grossed me out and I leave for a cruise in 3 weeks, stopping in Belize!!! Don't think I'll venture too far from the ship and I WILL have bug spray. I know this can happen anywhere, and I certainly am no stranger to mosquitos being in NOLA but......ewwwwww.

Omg! I just saw a similar story on an episode of "Monsters Inside Me". Totally horrifying to think of and I'll be in Belize very soon as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

We did Altun Ha a few years ago, and we were advised at the tour or shopping so to use bug repellant, and to lay off the colognes or perfumes that day due to the bugs. We used Off spray, along with a repellant bracelet, and took the Off with us. I didn't notice a lot of bugs, or them begin attracted to use more than usual, but they were around, but not "attacking" us or anyone in the group.

We went on the ruins & river wallace tour (via Carnival) on our Feb 2014 cruise and i noticed a couple of mosquitoes but never got bit.

However, i did find a couple of seed ticks crawling on me while we were at the ruins and I wasn't in the shrubbery at all. the ticks crawling on me kinda freaked me out since i hadn't been in the bushes or anything. We did full body checks on each of us after that excursions.

Well that does it I can forget about Belize.