So sad...Royal one star reviews

kendon

Happily for us this attitude about the Royal may have helped us with the fares that we got for our November booking on the Regal. We read as much as we could about the Royal and its (in some folks opinion) faults and decided those were not things that would keep us from having a good cruise experience. Now Princess just posted some pretty decent Caribbean fares for the Regal for this fall and we took the plunge. We will see for ourselves and post our opinions afterwards. :cool:

YMMV

PS: Even with the poor reviews there were a lot of positive ones. I think over time maybe things will even out. Expectations will fall and cruise experience will improve. An equilibrium will be attained at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I want to thank everyone who has posted on this thread. I had a bout of insomnia last night, and boy did this thread give me something to do!

As this thread is all over the place, I do not think this is high-jack. I am very interested in sailing the Royal and/or the Regal so I read this with great interest. But, no, I have not yet sailed either (yet). But I have submitted several reviews of other Princess cruises that I believe are fair and balanced. We are not cheerleaders, but do feel Princess offers a quality product at a reasonable price, and I am proud (relieved?) to say that we are now Elite! :D Finally!

Over the years, we have stopped getting balcony cabins, opting for window cabins, because we just do not use them much. We prefer to put our money towards booking the Sanctuary for the full cruise (which just doubled in price :eek:), as well as our newest discovery, the Thermal Suite. Both look fantastic on the new ships, and we enjoy the service level in the Sanctuary, so I think that is the way we will go.

We tend to stay either aft or forward, so the center stairwell is not an issue. But I can certainly understand that being an issue. I am assuming they used that space to make the Piazza bigger (which I cannot wait to see).

The pictures of the promenade are, in my opinion, quite disappointing. We do not use it that much, but there is something said for taking a stroll after dinner on the promenade. Interesting choice, Princess.

One contributer piqued my interest about whether Princess is "forcing" us out of the cabins (maybe, encouraging is a better term?). It used to be, like Las Vegas, that the cabin on a ship was not a destination. It was where you slept and got ready to go out and about. However, on this last quick coastal cruise on the Crown, we did get a balcony as we figured the Sanctuary would be too cold (and it was, for the most part). At first, I noticed the new furniture on the balcony and thought, how nice. However, and even though it reclined, it was the most uncomfortable set of chairs for both me and my husband. It hit your legs at the wrong spot and it pitched you sort of forward so that even when you put your foot up on the ottoman, you literally would slide forward towards the glass. We would sit out there for 5 minutes or so and then just throw in the towel. I guess we should now look at as a blessing that there were reclining chairs, ottomans and room to use them! ;) But, it's back to window cabins and the Sanctuary for us. We just do not use the balcony enough to justify it. But if I were a balcony person, 40 square feet?

I am looking to see something "new" on Princess, so we will still sail the Royal and/or the Regal. And we will take it all in stride.

Finally, to those who have commented with comparisons, we sailed the Sapphire in January on a 4-day coastal. Loved, loved, loved her (as we do the Island / Coral / Ruby / Emerald / Tahitian / the "old" Regal ... all for different reasons). Glad we got to sail the Sapphire before she was re-positioned. We also love Adagio on the ships that have it. Such a beautiful, under-utilized room. Too hard to find, I guess. We too head up there every night after dinner for a Tiramisu martini! I hope they will at least offer that in Crooners now.

Sorry to go on. But I did enjoy reading everyone's comments, except for the bickering. :cool:

Edited by SingerEsq

Over the years, we have stopped getting balcony cabins, opting for window cabins, because we just do not use them much. We prefer to put our money towards booking the Sanctuary for the full cruise (which just doubled in price :eek:), as well as our newest discovery, the Thermal Suite. Both look fantastic on the new ships, and we enjoy the service level in the Sanctuary, so I think that is the way we will go.

But, it's back to window cabins and the Sanctuary for us. We just do not use the balcony enough to justify it. But if I were a balcony person, 40 square feet?

We too usually book a window - or inside. On the new Royal/Regal there are no window cabins and very few inside. If you do not want to spring for one of the small balconies, book early to get an inside. We will be in a deluxe balcony when we sail the Regal next year - can't believe we are paying that much for a cruise! I will be watching closely for a price drop - hope it happens!

On the new Royal/Regal there are no window cabins and very few inside.

:eek:

:mad:

Inside is out of the question. Well, then, we may have a deal breaker. :(

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by SingerEsq