So sad...Royal one star reviews

kendon

As for crowded elevators. If anyone has sailed the Allure of the Seas will experience crowded elevators also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sailed Allure, and I did BVE today on Royal Princess. Someone should be taken out back and shot for the elevators on Royal Princess. What were they thinking???? Slow and TINY. Awful

Yes, Allure elevators may get crowded, but they are large and fast and you don't wait around all day with crowds circling like vultures to get on and cutting you off. Royal Princess elevators are a bad joke.

That said, I saw a lot of wonderful things on the ship and except for a few odd details or design selections I find it hard to believe anyone could only have a 1 star experience; the ship simply offers too much and is too well finished to deserve a lowly one star.

I sailed Allure, and I did BVE today on Royal Princess. Someone should be taken out back and shot for the elevators on Royal Princess. What were they thinking???? Slow and TINY. Awful

Yes, Allure elevators may get crowded, but they are large and fast and you don't wait around all day with crowds circling like vultures to get on and cutting you off. Royal Princess elevators are a bad joke.

I did a Royal Princess cruise and then an Allure cruise 7 days later. There is no comparison in the elevators between the two ships other than they all have doors and go up and down. We never once had an already full elevator arrive on the Allure. On the Royal Princess, it happened at least 1/3 of the time.

The Royal Princess elevators did improve after embarkation day. But they were never good.

Read your review very balanced and unbiased.

You mentioned issues of concern for some but had no impact on you.

I could see how someone with a negative bent could easily turn a positive review like yours into a negative. I have used the phrase" It is to be expected" in reviews to negate a negative aspect yet go on to praise the whole.

A very informative review and I support your ratings not that it matters but for those whose ire I raise on these boards I have just agreed with a 5*+ review of the Royal.

THANK YOU for the kind words! :D

That said, I saw a lot of wonderful things on the ship and except for a few odd details or design selections I find it hard to believe anyone could only have a 1 star experience; the ship simply offers too much and is too well finished to deserve a lowly one star.

Glad that your BVE went well. I'm not sure if you posted on another thread but where did you have lunch? I would also be interested to hear what 'odd details and design selections' weren't to your tastes. Just curious. :D

It could possibly be the particular band that was overly loud. When I was on her in December I don't remember the band being overly loud. Could be different bands?

I do remember they alternated the band with the piano player in Cooners. That might of been a little much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem in February either.

Glad that your BVE went well. I'm not sure if you posted on another thread but where did you have lunch? I would also be interested to hear what 'odd details and design selections' weren't to your tastes. Just curious. :D

He has a thread on the RCI boards.

Now back to tax season. :eek:

Almost done.

The live threads become tedious with a post from the cruiser and then 5 or so posts from members saying lovely, I am envious, enjoy reading, ..... Don't mind the ones who ask a question for you to follow up with but just too much chaff to winnow through.

Cheers

Bring on the Chaff. :eek: :D ;)

As others have noted, I did post on the Royal Caribbean board since I am most familiar with that line and am looking to branch out just because I am getting bored. Here is the thread; no pics added yet but I did take about 150 photos. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025531

I had lunch in Concerto dining room before running all over the place and sampling food in the buffet and pool deck. In the dining room with BVE you are presented a limited menu that they call four course but is really three course (unless bread is a course) along with house wine. The food was very good and MDR open on embarkation is a big plus over RCI, IMO.

Compared to RCI I found the exterior promenade odd - there should be passage ways behind the life boats; also the deck 6 rear MDR with going up and over to get out of there; and then to deck 7 with only starboard being a passageway. Also thought that Crown Grill was a bit odd just sort of being "open" in a corridor (but it is a big area so not all of it is subject to being on the corridor). The fountain on the pool deck is a big waste of real estate. That could have been a pool.

Also in regards to Sanctuary; I have not been on ships that have specialty areas like this. It was gorgeous and amazing; I kind of "get it" now how it can give those that pay the sort of pampering of a luxury line; neither see nor hear the masses. But I am used to having more of total deck space allocated for all PAX. Just a new experience. I don't think I'd pay for specialty deck areas personally.

I invite you to read or follow my other thread; I don't want to take this too far off topic. And obviously I did not sail on the ship so my impressions are based on my limited time and experiences; I just feel that the staff may have to be beating you with a bat and the ship listing 5 degrees, and the food be microwave dinners to really rate the ship 1 star. 1 star is an extreme reaction and not warranted on what I saw.

As we all know, everyone's experiences and the way they handle those experiences can be as different between night and day.

On one occasion while waiting on an elevator a guest (unknown to me) and I starting playing Elevator Poker: you look at the decks the elevators are currently on and make a poker hand, as in three elevators on Deck 3 is three of a kind, two elevators on Deck 6 and two on Deck 8 would be two pair. The elevator showed up in about a minute and as were boarding I said 'that was fun!'. Her reply, said sarcastically, was that we had to have something to do while waiting.

My tolerance, and level of patience, is pretty high. Now, I did experience on Royal Princess several different occasions when the elevators showed up FULL. I looked at everyone on the elevator, jokingly said 'OK, everybody off!' as I was swinging my thumb over my shoulder, they would laugh as the doors closed, and I waited for the next elevator. Yet during the entire two weeks I was aboard Royal Princess I can honestly say that I never had to wait 5 minutes or 15 minutes like some have indicated. It just never happened to me. But that's not to say it didn't happen to someone else. And my experiences on Royal Princess mirrored those of when I was on Ruby Princess. Same wait times, same crowded elevators.

My mind set, albeit this has been beaten up by many, is that I'm on vacation and I don't have to be anywhere right now. And I've had waits just as long, or longer, at land-based hotels.

The single biggest issue that was of concern to me is that the elevators, and the guests that rush them in some weird panic to get aboard, are a huge challenge for those on scooters. I found myself on more than one occasion blocking access to the elevator to allow those on scooters or wheelchairs to get on first. I wasn't very popular, but those times when a couple of people can get into an elevator a scooter can not. And it's those passengers I saw having a difficult time of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that waiting in an elevator, on a cruise ship, has really never exceeded my level of patience. For others, they want it to show up the instant they push the button. If they remembered to even push the button in the first place. ;)

Dave this post made me laugh. I remember on the Royal last year impatient people actually leaping over a guy in a wheel chair in order to get on the elevator before him. The fellow in the wheel chair just laughed and waited for the next one. I never understood anyone being in a hurry on a cruise except if they were late getting back from a port. Of course I find that entertaining to watch.

To Everyone - everyone's opinion is equally valid - good or bad. I wanted know the good and the bad from people who actually sailed the Royal before I sailed. When I sailed her, I made up my own mind - taking into account my personal likes and dislikes - of course. I rate her a solid 4 and I've been on lots of different cruise lines. However, we all have different needs and rank those needs differently. My child loved, loved, loved the kid's club and that was very important to Mommy! :) I loved the food, the crew, and my mini-suite (along with other things). I didn't love the elevators, the internet speed, and the lack of central stairs. I didn't mind the promenade because there are some nice little quiet spaces out there, if you look. I made a decision based upon that cruise to book the Royal again. My daughter is so excited to go back and sail among the "princesses" (too much Disney in her life) and see the world - so is Mommy.

Edited by CI66774

Per day revenue can be deceiving. Royal presents many more opportunities for guests to spend money

I guess I meant the total revenue, not just the onboard charges.

If the ship is returning more on investment, than other ships

...then, it is a success. Regardless of reviews.

As others have noted, I did post on the Royal Caribbean board since I am most familiar with that line and am looking to branch out just because I am getting bored. Here is the thread; no pics added yet but I did take about 150 photos. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2025531

I had lunch in Concerto dining room before running all over the place and sampling food in the buffet and pool deck. In the dining room with BVE you are presented a limited menu that they call four course but is really three course (unless bread is a course) along with house wine. The food was very good and MDR open on embarkation is a big plus over RCI, IMO.

Compared to RCI I found the exterior promenade odd - there should be passage ways behind the life boats; also the deck 6 rear MDR with going up and over to get out of there; and then to deck 7 with only starboard being a passageway. Also thought that Crown Grill was a bit odd just sort of being "open" in a corridor (but it is a big area so not all of it is subject to being on the corridor). The fountain on the pool deck is a big waste of real estate. That could have been a pool.

Also in regards to Sanctuary; I have not been on ships that have specialty areas like this. It was gorgeous and amazing; I kind of "get it" now how it can give those that pay the sort of pampering of a luxury line; neither see nor hear the masses. But I am used to having more of total deck space allocated for all PAX. Just a new experience. I don't think I'd pay for specialty deck areas personally.

I invite you to read or follow my other thread; I don't want to take this too far off topic. And obviously I did not sail on the ship so my impressions are based on my limited time and experiences; I just feel that the staff may have to be beating you with a bat and the ship listing 5 degrees, and the food be microwave dinners to really rate the ship 1 star. 1 star is an extreme reaction and not warranted on what I saw.

How many design plans look good on paper. This design will be a work in progress I'm sure.

If the ship is returning more on investment, than other ships

...then, it is a success. Regardless of reviews.

But again, this has to be looked at with a long view, and we aren't there yet. A ship could return more on investment in the first two years than other ships because peoples' per day spending is higher. Yipee! But if a lot of those people are left with a negative impression and spread the word that the ship is not worth the extra cost and bookings slip in years 3-10, then was the ship a success?

For example, you open a restaurant headed by a famous chef and there is lots of buzz. Early bookings are strong and it is very difficult to get a table. The menu is prix fixe at $400 per person. The "profit per diner" is the highest in the industry and for the first year, the restaurant is booked solid. But the reviews come out and people are unimpressed. In year two, bookings are modest and in year three, the restaurant is running almost empty. If you looked at the return on investment at the end of year one, the restaurant would be viewed as a success. But how about after year three?

The people who sailed on Royal and have given her 1*-3* may have paid more per day than on any other Princess ship and the return on investment for these people may be at the top of the chart. But if they rate their experience as 1*-3*, there is no "success" here because these people are almost assured to not be repeat guests. And they are almost assured of spreading bad word of mouth (or internet). People might currently be spending more per day on Royal (and given base fares, I'm not at all certain that is the case). But as time marches forward and it has a "love it" rating around 70% and other ships are > 80%, there will come a time when the tide will turn. In just one short month, Royal will no longer be the "newest ship in the fleet". That fact, coupled with a 65% current rating, could spell rough seas. Time will tell. As I said. We aren't there yet.

The people who sailed on Royal and have given her 1*-3* may have paid more per day than on any other Princess ship and the return on investment for these people may be at the top of the chart. But if they rate their experience as 1*-3*, there is no "success" here because these people are almost assured to not be repeat guests. And they are almost assured of spreading bad word of mouth (or internet). People might currently be spending more per day on Royal (and given base fares, I'm not at all certain that is the case). But as time marches forward and it has a "love it" rating around 70% and other ships are > 80%, there will come a time when the tide will turn. In just one short month, Royal will no longer be the "newest ship in the fleet". That fact, coupled with a 65% current rating, could spell rough seas. Time will tell. As I said. We aren't there yet.

I agree. For whatever it is worth, I sailed the Royal March 2-9. My fare for a Deluxe Balcony Cabin in a good location was substantially less than the fare I could get on the CB for a regular Balcony cabin, same week, similar location. I realize this is apples and oranges (FLL vs Houston) and only one data point but it seems to me that the Royal was being substantially discounted.

Below is the latest review of the Royal (as of 4/15 10 am). The title is "VERY DISAPPOINTED" and the couple states that they will not sail the Royal again but regardless they gave it a 4 rating. Gee whiz.... :confused:

Some of us on this thread have questioned the 1 and 2 star reviews but the 4 and 5 reviews also need to be questioned as some do not make sense. As various others have said, the contents of the reviews and the overall composite rating are far more important than an individual rating.

Quote:

VERY DISAPPOINTED

This is our 5th cruise trip.

The stateroom (at Marina deck in the middle of the ship) was very small. The web page said that it has a walk in closet; It is FALSE!!! Besides, the "extended " balcony is tiny.

The food is good, just good. Not as delicious as the food in the Grand Princess. But, the Horizon Court is very bad designed. all the food stations are very scattered, The food at Alfredo's is really great.

Other issue: There are no stairs in the middle part of the ship; the elevators are not enough for the crowd. So its a nightmare to get on the elevator that is always full; and we had to take the elevator even to to up 1 floor;

The ship has a lot of partitions on the decks, so to go to the Allegro's restaurant to get dinner, we had to take elevator down and then stairs up or something like that; actually I don't remember; but it was awkward.

I don't know who designed this ship. It is a shame!!!

My husband and I definitely would'nt get back to the Royal Princess.

I agree. For whatever it is worth, I sailed the Royal March 2-9. My fare for a Deluxe Balcony Cabin in a good location was substantially less than the fare I could get on the CB for a regular Balcony cabin, same week, similar location. I realize this is apples and oranges (FLL vs Houston) and only one data point but it seems to me that the Royal was being substantially discounted.

Our fare seems heavily discounted for our summer cruise on the Royal. I'm not complaining at all. In fact, I'm sure I can thank all of the negative reviews for impacting the booking of the Royal. My guess is that the net profits and yield on investment is far short of Carnival's projections for this ship and that people are being held accountable for it.

While my review will be objective, I may rate it based on value. That is we are paying so a low price that my expectations are less.

Edited by hubofhockey

I'm almost to the end of Tax Season so have pretty much stayed off the Boards.

I skimmed Kendon's long thread about the 1 star ratings for this ship and while I haven't been on the ship (only watched it sail out of FLL with the horn tootling) based on the photos it is certainly not a one star banana boat.

The one thing that does stand out to me is the blatant cost cutting that went into the design and construction of the ship. This is the pernicious mind set of the parent company of the whole Carnival empire, all 10 brands or so. They saved a whole three million dollars by not finishing off the center stairway. The damage done to this ship's image will be far greater then the lousy three million in costs saved.

Ya think RCCL did visible cost cutting like this for the Celebrity S ships or the RCI Oasis class or the upcoming RCI Q ships?

As a CPA I am shocked at the questionable thinking of the top brass at Carnival PLC.

Now back to the extensions and the twenty returns that will go on extension. E-File away!

It seems that finishing off the center stairway would be an easy fix to make an awful lot of people happy. One of the corporate technical guys (not an engineer and can't remember his title, perhaps Chief Warranty Officer) gave a lecture in the Princess Live theater in February. He was ABSOLUTELY sure that the midship stairway would not change...even on the Regal. Honestly, it didn't bother us one bit as there were elevators that really did not have a very long waiting time. What's the rush. If I can use the stairs, I certainly can walk a bit extra to either end of the ship for a stairway!

I skimmed Kendon's long thread about the 1 star ratings for this ship and while I haven't been on the ship (only watched it sail out of FLL with the horn tootling) based on the photos it is certainly not a one star banana boat.

The one thing that does stand out to me is the blatant cost cutting that went into the design and construction of the ship. This is the pernicious mind set of the parent company of the whole Carnival empire, all 10 brands or so. They saved a whole three million dollars by not finishing off the center stairway. The damage done to this ship's image will be far greater then the lousy three million in costs saved.

Ya think RCCL did visible cost cutting like this for the Celebrity S ships or the RCI Oasis class or the upcoming RCI Q ships?

As a CPA I am shocked at the questionable thinking of the top brass at Carnival PLC.

Now back to the extensions and the twenty returns that will go on extension. E-File away!

All the Newer Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships only have two

Staircases and elevator banks on their ships. Only difference is they

Don't have an elevator bank in the center of the ships.

It seems that finishing off the center stairway would be an easy fix to make an awful lot of people happy. One of the corporate technical guys (not an engineer and can't remember his title, perhaps Chief Warranty Officer) gave a lecture in the Princess Live theater in February. He was ABSOLUTELY sure that the midship stairway would not change...even on the Regal. Honestly, it didn't bother us one bit as there were elevators that really did not have a very long waiting time. What's the rush. If I can use the stairs, I certainly can walk a bit extra to either end of the ship for a stairway!

I also noticed that the staircase is absent on P&O new ship Brittania.

Carnival cut other things as well. The plans were for dueling glass pianos and they wouldn't even spend on that. It would have been very popular. If Carnival further downscales Princess, both RCCL lines will take market share from Princess.

We are cruising on Royal in August with our family. We are seasoned cruisers, mainly Celebrity, but with four Princess cruises recently. One of our sons has cruised once on an older ship with his family, for the other son's family it will be the first time. I doubt if they will be looking for centre staircases or large balconies, because they have no basis for comparison. I suspect that they will be blown away by the ship, and never miss a wrap around promenade deck. We may notice some differences, but I don't think they will be deal breakers. We will keep an open mind until we experience the Royal for ourselves.

We are cruising on Royal in August ...........................

I suspect that they will be blown away by the ship, and never miss a wrap around promenade deck. We may notice some differences, but I don't think they will be deal breakers. We will keep an open mind until we experience the Royal for ourselves.

Open mind? Sounds like you have already been decided.