Orient and Maho Beaches Both?

KCDan

We are in port from 8am - 5pm on the Allure of the Seas. Is it practical to get to both of these beaches during that time frame and get back to the ship? Or, should we just focus on one? Thanks.

I have done Bernard's - great tour - great price of $45. What I would like to know for this cruise is if we just wanted to do Orient - Maho - and Phillipsburg - how much would the transportation cost. There would be 4 of us. My idea would be to taxi or bus to Orient - then taxi to Maho - then taxi to Phillipsburg to the boardwalk - then walk back to the ship after shopping there. This way we could spend as much time as we wanted at each place. Any advice appreciated very much as I know you can walk from the port to get a bus (we are able bodied) - but would appreciate specific instructions regarding the bus to take. Thank you for any responses - I have been searching but can't seem to come up with all the answers.

We have done it with no problem. We didn't book a tour or a driver. We just grabbed a cab at the port and had them drop us off at Orient. Then before noon, we just grabbed another cab and had them take us to Maho (since the big planes come in after noon or so). It was a lovely day. :)

We are in port from 8am - 5pm on the Allure of the Seas. Is it practical to get to both of these beaches during that time frame and get back to the ship? Or, should we just focus on one? Thanks.

No need to focus on one, two beaches and more, can be done in your allotted time. Another vote for Bernard's tours which will take you both beaches & free drinks, water, beer, soda and potent rum punch.

Don't limit yourself to just one! :cool:

I have done Bernard's - great tour - great price of $45. What I would like to know for this cruise is if we just wanted to do Orient - Maho - and Phillipsburg - how much would the transportation cost. There would be 4 of us. My idea would be to taxi or bus to Orient - then taxi to Maho - then taxi to Phillipsburg to the boardwalk - then walk back to the ship after shopping there. This way we could spend as much time as we wanted at each place. Any advice appreciated very much as I know you can walk from the port to get a bus (we are able bodied) - but would appreciate specific instructions regarding the bus to take. Thank you for any responses - I have been searching but can't seem to come up with all the answers.

You need to take 2 buses to get to Orient, they run on island time. After that, then there's a lot of walking in the hot sun to get to Orient. This is not a good idea.

Taxis to Orient, Maho and back to Phillipsburg with 4 people will be approx. $6 to $8pp each way 3X . Taxi is the way to go.

You need to take 2 buses to get to Orient, they run on island time. After that, then there's a lot of walking in the hot sun to get to Orient. This is not a good idea.

Taxis to Orient, Maho and back to Phillipsburg with 4 people will be approx. $6 to $8pp each way 3X . Taxi is the way to go.

So I read a post saying some people had problems getting a taxi from Orient to Maho. I would like to go from the port to Orient - from there to Maho - from there to Phillipsburg - so for 4 people the most would probably be $96? Sounds ok to me! I just wonder if it will be a hassle finding a cab to go from Orient to Maho probably around 1 pm or so - advice? What do people tip the cab drivers? Thanks!

Edited by gwb3636

With Bernard on our allure cruise 2 years ago we did 3 beaches! Contact them. The important part will be to be at maho when planes are arriving or departing! And not to be starving when u get there bc it is a crowded place to eat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With Bernard on our allure cruise 2 years ago we did 3 beaches! Contact them. The important part will be to be at maho when planes are arriving or departing! And not to be starving when u get there bc it is a crowded place to eat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you do a private tour to get the 3 beaches? Their beach tour only goes to Orient and Maho as near as I can tell - I think it is Tour 2. I would gladly book with them instead if we could pay $45 and skip all the sight-seeing and just do the beaches but I don't want to pay $360. Any info appreciated!

So I read a post saying some people had problems getting a taxi from Orient to Maho. I would like to go from the port to Orient - from there to Maho - from there to Phillipsburg - so for 4 people the most would probably be $96? Sounds ok to me! I just wonder if it will be a hassle finding a cab to go from Orient to Maho probably around 1 pm or so - advice? What do people tip the cab drivers? Thanks!

There are plenty of taxis at Orient to take you to Maho., it's no hassle. You can ask the driver that takes you to Orient if he could come back @ a specific time to pick you guys back up and take you to Maho. For the two of us, we'll tip $5 for each taxi ride.

At Maho, you'll have no problem of getting a taxi back to Phillipsburg.

Bernard's Tour #11 no longer stops at the Iguana farm as it's being renovated, so there are very few stops. When we take Bernard's tours, we are tipping them much more than $5.

There are plenty of taxis at Orient to take you to Maho., it's no hassle. You can ask the driver that takes you to Orient if he could come back @ a specific time to pick you guys back up and take you to Maho. For the two of us, we'll tip $5 for each taxi ride.

At Maho, you'll have no problem of getting a taxi back to Phillipsburg.

Bernard's Tour #11 no longer stops at the Iguana farm as it's being renovated, so there are very few stops. When we take Bernard's tours, we are tipping them much more than $5.

Good idea about the taxi! Thanks. But do you get more beach time at Orient and Maho or do they give you more shopping time? Still trying to decide if I want to taxi or do Bernards. Also I am confused on the price - you pay $5 ea deposit when you book and then an additional $45 for the shopping and beach tour?

Good idea about the taxi! Thanks. But do you get more beach time at Orient and Maho or do they give you more shopping time? Still trying to decide if I want to taxi or do Bernards. Also I am confused on the price - you pay $5 ea deposit when you book and then an additional $45 for the shopping and beach tour?

Maybe you took Tour 1, which is an hour in Margot and very little beach. time.

There is very little shopping time with Tour II and more beach time. The stop in Marigot is only 30 mins, not much time to shop. With Tour II you are spending 2 hours at Orient Beach and an hour at Maho, even though the tour indicates 40 mins at Maho.

The total $ amount for Tour II is $45 and we do not pay the $5 deposit. When making the reservation, I indicate in the notes that we do not have Pay Pal and will pay $ when we meet.

At the end of the tour if you want to shop in Phillipsburg they will drop you off in town.

I am in the same situation as you. I have been to St Marteen 2x, once took Bernard's tour which was great, 2nd time just went to Orient Beach. This time my mom is on the cruise (previous trips was hubby) and she is in wheelchair most of the time, does not get around too well and can't get in and out of a high van..I'd like to take her to Orient for an hour or so then go to Maho to see planes, then back to ship. I'd be willing to share cab/tour. We will be on Freedom of the Seas, leaving next Sunday April 20, our day in St Marteen is Thursday, April 24. THanks!

I am in the same situation as you. I have been to St Marteen 2x, once took Bernard's tour which was great, 2nd time just went to Orient Beach. This time my mom is on the cruise (previous trips was hubby) and she is in wheelchair most of the time, does not get around too well and can't get in and out of a high van..I'd like to take her to Orient for an hour or so then go to Maho to see planes, then back to ship. I'd be willing to share cab/tour. We will be on Freedom of the Seas, leaving next Sunday April 20, our day in St Marteen is Thursday, April 24. THanks!

You can also try going into your roll call and ask if anyone there is willing to share a cab ride with you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261

If you want an easy day for your mom that does not involve her getting in and out of a minivan you can easily push her in a wheelchair to the board walk in town and enjoy some shopping and a nice lunch out with a view of the sea. I don't swim at Great Bay beach but it is pretty to look at. Just thought that this might make for a nice mother-daughter day.:)

We did both Orient and Maho last time we cruised to St. M. Just took a cab to orient and then to Maho.

As another Poster stated just make arrangements on a set time to leave Orient and take you to Maho.

Plenty of cabs around Sunset Grill(Maho) to get you back to port.

• 3 weeks later...

We used Joyce Prince and did an island tour which included Maho.

Our last stop was Orient, we got there around 3:00 PM. and it was basically shutting down. Sure, the beach is open all day, but literally everyone on the cruise ships were on their way back, so very few people, very few restaurants to eat at.

We did manage to eat at Orange Fever, and it was very good.

So, my suggestion is to do Orient first, and hit Maho on the way back.

• 4 weeks later...

any suggestions on place to spend the day at orient? it will be my first time, my parents myself and 2 seven years. (I know theres nudity, Im ok with that) Just looking for nice place reasonable price and will be ok for kids

If a great beach is what your looking for the take a cab to Orient. We were there 2 days ago and WOW it's beautiful soft soft sand no rocks lots of water sport's We were at La Playa friendly and very clean. Man I was crowded hot so much traffic and not a very nice beach area. Next time we will spend our day at Orient. No total nudes alot of bare breasts and thongs, I would take my kids and not worry to much.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

any suggestions on place to spend the day at orient? it will be my first time, my parents myself and 2 seven years. (I know theres nudity, Im ok with that) Just looking for nice place reasonable price and will be ok for kids

Orient beach is about 2 miles long with a large number of beach bars and restaurants on the beach. We've been there many times, but could not tell you exactly where we were on the beach in Orient.

You can also ask the taxi driver for a suggestion on that beach for the kids as they drive passengers daily to this beach.

It is a beautiful beach and you will enjoy your day there.

The area nearest the nude section up by Pedro's seems to have less Seagrass rolling in. The prices seem better at that end as well with many beachbars taking $ for e. I don't eat there often but I really liked Orange Fever when I tried it.