Glory Be 03/30 Review

jenjay1210

We got back on the skis to ride back to the excursion site. This time my daughter was riding with my husband, which meant I was solo and could stand up (no more water in my eyes!) and horse around a bit more. I tried to get some pics of us riding, and except for one when my son stopped, they come out a little crooked~ but that's ok by us

P1030963_zps688eabec.jpg

P1030960_zps8d8b8cb1.jpg

P10309622_zps8f8a497c.jpg

Every couple minutes I would turn around and check who was around me. I turned around and couldn't see my husband's ski. I figured they'd tipped and would catch right up, turned around a bit later and still no Jay. Curious started to turn to concerned and I slowed, and then everyone slowed and my guide signaled for us to stay in a group and he started riding back toward Rum Point.

Boats are easy to spot on the ocean with some visibility but Jet ski's not so much, especially in chop. I waited about 10 minutes riding around in circles and being a mother my concern of course starts to grow. I decide to start slow riding back towards rum point. The group followed me at the same pace.

A couple minutes later got a signal to turn around and my husband had been found and we headed back to the resort/excursion point. So what had happened?

Well...my daughter wanted to drive so they decided to switch spots. They managed this without tipping, but when they look to take back off, they couldn't see the group. Rode out for a bit and still couldn't see us. They kept going, but hugging a little closer to the shore line (not too close, but closer) than we had. Jay figured eventually they'd find the resort or us. And I guess he was right, and the other family that was with us was very forgiving as they got extra time on the skis, but I'll admit I was a little frustrated.

Of course, driving the ski was a highlight of my daughter's trip and a real bonding moment for her and dad to have that adventure, and all's well that end's well.

After parking our ski's we got to jump in the resort pool and take an outdoor shower. All our stuff was wet-I hadn't been comfortable leaving our bag at the resort because I had brought cash and a cc and there were no lockers. We air dried a bit and headed back to the pier, grabbed a couple souvenirs and back on board. The pictures below are from the ship. Look at the water color difference from the morning pictures to the afternoon sun pictures. Jay and I stayed on the balcony enjoying the beauty of Grand Cayman until dinner.

P1030968_zpsb91ca540.jpg

P1030973_zps99bd6a38.jpg

P1030975_zpse4438d79.jpg

P1030981_zps0bfdd276.jpg

So I had done some research, here on CC and trip advisor about Cozumel and what we wanted to do. I knew my son would enjoy the beach floats etc at Nachi but we aren't big drinkers and I didn't want to be around an all you can drink crowd...not judging...just not what we were looking for.

I landed on Paradise Beach which offered the floats and fun for the boy, pool if we wanted a break from the salt, shade and sun. We could pay a simple rate or more for other activities, and they ask that you buy food.

We got to the port and walked through the shops. There were people negotiating taxi rates but the prices were marked, I think the people weren't sure what they were doing. I flagged the attendant said four for Paradise Beach and she got us a cab right away. The rate was 14 US and we gave the driver a 20. I think it took ten minutes to get there, and not a lot of scenery on the way.

Once you get there tho...

P1040014_zps508d537f.jpg

P1040008_zps69f0a9ac.jpg

We paid the full rate so we could all do whatever we wanted (18 each) and selected some chairs closer to the pool, under the coconut palms. We had music from the pool area, and shade which was nice when not in the water. Jay and I walked to the end of the dock while the kids relaxed. I thought it would be a bit before we got in the water, but as soon as we finished our walk, Trevor was already on one of the floats. Erika was tired and not feeling great today, so she just relaxed most of the day.

P1030990_zpscf40923f.jpg

BeFunky_P1030985jpg_zps9e01a4d0.jpg

We ordered some food and a couple smoothies. The food was good enough but we didn't order too much. We spent 60 overall on food and drink which is about what they ask for...we also bought the full price bracelet and Erika didn't use hers so I think we provided our money's worth.

After eating I laid in one of the pool chairs that's actually in the pool for about a half hour and Jay and I tried paddle boarding. It's a little harder than it looks, especially when you get out into the chop a bit. It was a cool experience just the same.

P1040010_zps82786423.jpg

Trevor was finally worn out from jet ski the day before and swimming around today

P1040013_zps9cae7578.jpg

We really loved Paradise Beach. You can do whatever you want, play, relax, eat, drink, sleep, pool, ocean. No pressure to buy and it wasn't super crowded tho there were several ships in port. The first picture I posted was actually from the middle of the day, and as busy as it got while we were there. If we get back to Cozumel I think this will be a repeat excursion for us. Four thumbs up.

P1030987_zpsf5115aa3.jpg

We rode back in the world's smallest taxi for four people (maybe a ford festiva?) held together with duct tape and not much else, but we made it. Walked back through the shops and got on board for another nice night of dinner, music and relaxing. The sunset tonight wasn't too bad either.

We went to Mr.Sanchos for the day and we watched you guys pull out. I will post a pic of it when I have that one uploaded!! My son was the same as your daughter, just tired out and relaxed most of the day!

Glad you had a great time! Lovin your review!!

I too am loving reading your viewpoint of this cruise. We did it too. Stingrays in Cayman...did that a few years ago and your pics remind me so much of our experience there (choppy waters and high tide which scared the kids more than the stingrays, lol). We did Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel. Like you, I really felt relaxed in Cozumel. Want to go back there so bad actually (which surprised me because I thought this port would be too commercialized and not beautiful enough). We were here with friends. They really made this trip as they're really a funny family. You would have known us as the loud laughing group, heehee.:D

Can't wait to read more of your perspective!!! Great job!

Hi Jen, Loving your review and photos. We went to Paradise Beach as well, a few days after you guys. We LOVED it!! We'll definitely go back there again if we find ourselves in Cozumel. Everything there was perfect and you can't beat the price ($3 for a chair/umbrella for use at the beach and at the pool.) Only our kids got the bracelets for the water toys, adults spent the day lounging! We're not big drinkers, so it was a much better option for us than an AI and quite honestly I was pleasantly surprised at the prices of the food and drinks. Our bill came to $45 for 4 beers, 4 sodas, nachos, and chips/guacamole (and that included gratuity!) We didn't realize that the total price included gratuity and so we tipped him on top. Very quickly he told us that the bill already included his tip. We let him keep the extra because it was a HOT day and he came to our chair every time we flagged him down (which was about 10 times because we were never in sync with one another to order together!) I was really impressed though that he was so honest about the tip. He could have easily just pocketed it and said nothing.

Love your photos of Cayman .... sadly our day was canceled there due to weather. High winds prevented us from being able to tender. After seeing your pics, I really want to go to Rum Point. Any idea if you can do the jet ski excursion just to there and skip the sting ray part?

Hi Jen, Loving your review and photos. We went to Paradise Beach as well, a few days after you guys. We LOVED it!! We'll definitely go back there again if we find ourselves in Cozumel. Everything there was perfect and you can't beat the price ($3 for a chair/umbrella for use at the beach and at the pool.) Only our kids got the bracelets for the water toys, adults spent the day lounging! We're not big drinkers, so it was a much better option for us than an AI and quite honestly I was pleasantly surprised at the prices of the food and drinks. Our bill came to $45 for 4 beers, 4 sodas, nachos, and chips/guacamole (and that included gratuity!) We didn't realize that the total price included gratuity and so we tipped him on top. Very quickly he told us that the bill already included his tip. We let him keep the extra because it was a HOT day and he came to our chair every time we flagged him down (which was about 10 times because we were never in sync with one another to order together!) I was really impressed though that he was so honest about the tip. He could have easily just pocketed it and said nothing.

Love your photos of Cayman .... sadly our day was canceled there due to weather. High winds prevented us from being able to tender. After seeing your pics, I really want to go to Rum Point. Any idea if you can do the jet ski excursion just to there and skip the sting ray part?

Thanks Sue. I know the skis we rented it was a two point stop but there were a few other companies including a couple where you could design your own trip. I also think that skis were available to rent at Rum Point Beach...so maybe a taxi there and rent skis while there. I think I could have spent the whole day there no problem!

I was also pleasantly surprised by Cozumel...it's not the port I was looking forward to but ended up being a favorite and the least expensive day for us~double win!

For Belize I had booked a private excursion to Lamanai ruins with Island Girl Marketing. This was a private excursion and the most risky of our trips because it takes a long time to get there and return.

I'd read many close calls here on CC but never a statement about how a return was missed so we went for it. I was also jazzed about the ride up on the river and howler monkeys and such.

This excursion is also why I bought FTTF...the sooner we were off the better.

The Glory staff had all of us FTTF folks meet at Guest Services and wait for our tender. We were late getting checked through but I recall we were able to board the tender at about 8:30. The tender ride was about 20 mins.

We followed the port instructions to the Island Marketing place and paid our rate. We met one other couple that was doing the same excursion and we were both hoping to get an early start. We were told to take a seat and we waited

And waited....and waited.

We were 30 minutes late leaving for our excursion because the group had decided to join us up with the folks from the Magic which docked an hour after us.

We loaded onto a bus and started our way out of the city. Our guide explained that we were running late and would have to eat our lunch quickly and would have maybe an hour at the ruins.

This was a downer, mostly because it was not what I expected. As a private excursion, I was expecting a smaller group, and because they put us together our group was 35. I also felt for the people from Magic who were going to get rushed through for our benefit.

The guide explained a lot about Belize and we finally got to the river launch and had lunch. The chicken was delicious. We also had some Coke that had actual sugar in it...also good!

P1040019_zpsd4a0d69a.jpg

P1040021_zps93bbe157.jpg

After we ate we loaded into the boat. Past reviews I've seen small boats maybe 12 people, but we were all put on one large boat - which the guide later stated they'd just purchased. Good for them, but I was expecting the smaller boats. Also, because we were running late, we only slowed down to corner or for other boats...never saw a howler monkey or a croc, or anything beyond a couple birds. The ride was probably 45 mins but I did not clock it. They did provide cold water which was great.

P1040022_zpsb812c590.jpg

P1040023_zpscd742304.jpg

Finally we arrived at Lamanai!

P1040026_zpsa0c792a4.jpg

P1040025_zpsee45a1ad.jpg

We went to Mr.Sanchos for the day and we watched you guys pull out. I will post a pic of it when I have that one uploaded!! My son was the same as your daughter, just tired out and relaxed most of the day!

Glad you had a great time! Lovin your review!!

Thanks Oneboysmom! I would love to see that pic of us pulling out of Cozumel!

I too am loving reading your viewpoint of this cruise. We did it too. Stingrays in Cayman...did that a few years ago and your pics remind me so much of our experience there (choppy waters and high tide which scared the kids more than the stingrays, lol). We did Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel. Like you, I really felt relaxed in Cozumel. Want to go back there so bad actually (which surprised me because I thought this port would be too commercialized and not beautiful enough). We were here with friends. They really made this trip as they're really a funny family. You would have known us as the loud laughing group, heehee.:D

Can't wait to read more of your perspective!!! Great job!

Thanks T1Adams. I wasn't all that excited about Cozumel but I really liked it...I will definitely look to get back there one day. Unfortunately, we are the only cruisers in our family. I would love to cruise with our fam but they say they are not interested~ they don't know what's good for them!