Solstice... Craft Beer???

Team Alpha

I've read where some Celebrity Ships have a 'Michael's Club' with an extensive craft beer range.

Beer, or more to the point good craft beer is my hobby (passion). I brew my own and love imbibing in craft beer as opposed to the normal commercial brewery offerings.

I am travelling on Solstice in Feb 2015. I was wondering if the Michaels Club/craft beer option is being rolled out fleet wide or at least to Solstice by the time I sail?

Anybody got any ideas??

It's Friday arvo here in Australia....almost beer o'clock!

Thanks

Michaels have been redesigned as a top of the cruiser chain private area. Rumblings have it that the craft beer selection will be moved to a Cellar Masters when it is redesigned, or to the Sky bar, or possibly fazed out completely. On Reflection last Nov there were not 64 choices, they offered all the standard brews you could get anywhere.

I am waiting to see just which way the stout will flow too:D

Beer, or more to the point good craft beer is my hobby (passion). I brew my own and love imbibing in craft beer as opposed to the normal commercial brewery offerings.

Team Alpha, we are also brewers and live in an area where there are many craft breweries (Oregon). On our March sailing on the Equinox, which is probably similar to the Solstice in this regard, Michael's Club did not have the extended craft beer selection. We did find that there was a smaller selection of better beers in the Passport bar, where we found London Pride, Ommegang, Orval, Anchor Steam, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. While not as good as the expanded craft beer list on other S class ships, it was much better than any other cruise I have ever been on.

Cheers

Tom

Team Alpha, we are also brewers and live in an area where there are many craft breweries (Oregon). On our March sailing on the Equinox, which is probably similar to the Solstice in this regard, Michael's Club did not have the extended craft beer selection. We did find that there was a smaller selection of better beers in the Passport bar, where we found London Pride, Ommegang, Orval, Anchor Steam, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. While not as good as the expanded craft beer list on other S class ships, it was much better than any other cruise I have ever been on.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom

That's good news - that sounds at least like there are a few reasonable options.

Solstice sails in Australia/South Pacific in our summer/your winter. This is a cruise around Australia so I'm not sure how it goes from a replenishment perspective given that it will have already spent 4-5 months sailing from Australian ports by the time we board i.e. will they (or can they be bothered) sourcing craft beers.

Whilst in Australian waters it sails as an 'American' ship as opposed to Carnival Spirit which is permanently located in Australia and has been refitted for the Australian market - including serving Australian beers - unfortunately of the commercial variety only.

Craft brewing is booming here in Australia and there are some great craft beers. Fingers crossed that they can at least source some good and interesting craft beers for our cruise.

I'm brewing this weekend and will also get two brews from the fermenters into kegs - an American Pale Ale and a Bohemian Pilsener. Happy Days

Thanks for your info

Rob

Michaels have been redesigned as a top of the cruiser chain private area. Rumblings have it that the craft beer selection will be moved to a Cellar Masters when it is redesigned, or to the Sky bar, or possibly fazed out completely. On Reflection last Nov there were not 64 choices, they offered all the standard brews you could get anywhere.

I am waiting to see just which way the stout will flow too:D

Hi wallie5446

thanks for that info. So it sounds like we'll have to wait and see. Just to clarify, was it only standard brews on Reflection last Nov??

Thanks

Rob

Hi wallie5446

thanks for that info. So it sounds like we'll have to wait and see. Just to clarify, was it only standard brews on Reflection last Nov??

Thanks

Rob

There were some wonder brews among the stock, just not 64 of them, closer to 30-40, still a good amount and to many to sample them all in a week, having only the evening hours to do so.

I just turned 60 and until a few yrs ago a Corona was going upscale for me, I know, way behind the curve:D

My DD introduced me to stouts and porters, about 3 years ago, and has my beer buying and tasting changed:eek: So I hope the rumblings that the craft selection being moved to Cellar Masters on the Equinox, as a test,are correct.

Cheers

Tom

I'll bet that Orval is some good beer, I'll have to try it sometime.

Sorry to report that they did not have craft beers on Solstice in Oct 13. I hope this changes in the future, but do not count on them if things remain the same. They said they don't have the room for them.

Bugger! That's not the answer I was hoping for HappyTvlr. I've seen a pool bar menu that shows Corona, Bud, Red Stripe, Heineken, Peroni, Stella, New Castle Brown, Guiness & John Smith Extra Smooth. Is that what they had on board (or similiar) when you cruised?

Thanks

Rob

If you want great beer, bag cruising go to Oregon. They have rain and fantastic beers.

One day WALKER1313, one day. It's on my list and I'm sure I'll get there. And when I do then partaking in many of the craft beer options on the West Coast will be high on the agenda.

With a bit of research and appropriate planning, you can usually track down something interesting and worthwhile to drink wherever you go.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Tom

That's good news - that sounds at least like there are a few reasonable options.

Solstice sails in Australia/South Pacific in our summer/your winter. This is a cruise around Australia so I'm not sure how it goes from a replenishment perspective given that it will have already spent 4-5 months sailing from Australian ports by the time we board i.e. will they (or can they be bothered) sourcing craft beers.

Whilst in Australian waters it sails as an 'American' ship as opposed to Carnival Spirit which is permanently located in Australia and has been refitted for the Australian market - including serving Australian beers - unfortunately of the commercial variety only.

Craft brewing is booming here in Australia and there are some great craft beers. Fingers crossed that they can at least source some good and interesting craft beers for our cruise.

I'm brewing this weekend and will also get two brews from the fermenters into kegs - an American Pale Ale and a Bohemian Pilsener. Happy Days

Thanks for your info

Rob

Rob,

We have booked the Solstice for 2016 cruise out of Sydney. We are really looking forward to spending a bit of time before the cruise in NSW. We are thinking of doing a wine tour to the Hunter Valley. Are there any good Brew Pubs in the area?

Cheers,

Tom

Bugger! That's not the answer I was hoping for HappyTvlr. I've seen a pool bar menu that shows Corona, Bud, Red Stripe, Heineken, Peroni, Stella, New Castle Brown, Guiness & John Smith Extra Smooth. Is that what they had on board (or similiar) when you cruised?

Thanks

Rob

That list about covers it except they had Sam Adams and not John Smith's, and they had Grolsch. I love JS so would have loved to have seen that. And my advice is to skip the Sam Adams because it has always seemed a bit stale on Celebrity. It is a great draft beer in the states, but I think it may sit around too long in the bottles on the ship.

One other sad but funny thing happened was that they didn't factor in Aussies and the 123 Go promotion when they stocked up for our12 night South Pacific cruise. The bars were running out of beers just after 1/2 way through and they stocked up on local Fiji beers that made Bud Light look good. They even had to stop offering beers at the crew parties. I am on the Century for a similar itinerary this October, and I hope they have it sorted. Century does not have craft beers, but I at least want Coronas by the pool.

Rob,

We have booked the Solstice for 2016 cruise out of Sydney. We are really looking forward to spending a bit of time before the cruise in NSW. We are thinking of doing a wine tour to the Hunter Valley. Are there any good Brew Pubs in the area?

Cheers,

Tom

There is a great boutique beer café in Sydney city center called Red Oak (201 Clarence St). They have excellent craft beers, and they do unique and outstanding beer and food matching menus. As for Hunter Valley, make sure you hit Hungerford Hills and Scarborough wines.

Rob,

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

NSW/Hunter Valley is not my territory I'm afraid - I live in Victoria. I could give you plenty of options in an around Melbourne.

However, I can confirm HappyTvlr comment about Red Oak in Sydney - it's very good. The Lord Nelson brewery in Sydney is also a great little brew pub too. It's just a short walk from the Overseas Passenger a Terminal at Circular Quay (where Solstice docks).

Cheers

Rob

While I enjoy my stouts and porters my wife has become fond of Black Opal from South Eastern Australia.:eek:

On our roll call I normally post 2-4 different brews I try. We are planning to do a beer tasting in Nov, and hope they have a good selection.

image.jpg.a7a455d8c8ca4ba02c2e07e7b13e036c.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

You would enjoy spending a few hours in this little joint in Dallas, http://www.craftandgrowler.com/

At times they will have over 75 different brews on tap. We have one named the Flying Saucer with 200 plus taps. You can only try 3 per visit, when you reach 100 they have a saucer ceremony and put your saucer on the wall. I have a friend who will make the Elite club this week at #200.

Edited by wallie5446

You would enjoy spending a few hours in this little joint in Dallas, http://www.craftandgrowler.com/

At times they will have over 75 different brews on tap. We have one named the Flying Saucer with 200 plus taps. You can only try 3 per visit, when you reach 100 they have a saucer ceremony and put your saucer on the wall. I have a friend who will make the Elite club this week at #200.

I'm sure I would enjoy it wallie5446. It's great that a lot of these new beer venues are thinking laterally and coming up with different and exciting ways of trying new beers.

We have an event on here next month called 'Good Beer Week' https://www.goodbeerweek.com.au/ I'm going to miss most of this years events as I'll be away but hope to get to the final day of the Great Australian Beer Spectapular on 25th May.

And Black Opal that your wife likes, that's a winery in South Australia from what I can tell. Australia has a rich history in wine growing in the Barossa & Clare Valley's (Sth Australia), Hunter Valley (NSW), Margaret River (WA), Yarra Valley (Vic) and many others. And now craft brewing is also starting to take off. Lots of great new and exciting breweries and beers around. I live in Victoria on the East Coast of Australia but I have family in Western Australia on the West Coast. A couple of years ago my DW and I visited our WA relatives and we managed to squeeze in 14 breweries (and a few wineries) in 14 days during the trip.

Cheers

Rob