Glacier Bay NPS Passport Stamp?

CobbClan

The National Park Service, just like our Michigan's State Park system has a passport book that you can take to each National Park and get a stamp. Plan to take ours to Denali, but what about Glacier Bay? Will the ship's gift shop have them? Or the naturalist on board?

I had heard that yes, the Ranger will stamp NPS passports. I hope so, and would love to get confirmation as well.

We got the NPS stamp up in the Crow's nest on both our Alaska cruises while in Glacier Bay. The rangers bring them onboard.

Do they sell the passport books too?

Yes they do sell the passport books also. Don't forget to get the stamp in Skagway for Klondike. There is also a stamp in Ketchikan at the naturalist center. If you go out to Mendenhall there is a stamp there.

Yes they do sell the passport books also. Don't forget to get the stamp in Skagway for Klondike. There is also a stamp in Ketchikan at the naturalist center. If you go out to Mendenhall there is a stamp there.

Thanks so much - wasn't aware of those. Would have been a shame to miss them . . .

Our grand kids have NP Passport books. Where is the Naturalist center in Ketchikan? I didn't know there was one there. We'll be visiting Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, also, so I guess I'll bring their books.

Sorry it's the SE Alaska Discovery center in Ketchikan. I don't know the names of the streets but it's really easy to find. All we did was walk to where the street in front of the ships curves and followed it about a block up. The Discovery Center is on the right. You can't miss it. If you have the annual pass to the Nat Parks you can use it for admittance. It's really a nice afternoon. You can spend a couple of hours there. They also have clean restrooms. I always have my book with me as I never know where we are going to end up. I was able to pick up a small blank book at Ellis Island that allows for stamps only and that is always in my purse. Enjoy Ketchikan, it's our favorite stop.

Was going to buy the "passes" this summer in Munising. Will be sure to get the books too.

Ah, Munising....alas, the closest I will be to Pictured Rocks is St Ignace State Park for the 4 th of July. however, since I am a Troll, I am only 3 hours from Sleeping Bear! Road trip! As soon as the snow is gone....

A peek at the web site for NPS doesn't show one for Ketchikan (unless I missed it) but lists one ofr Hubbard Glacier, not Mendenhall. Interesting.

you can also order the passports online to have ahead of time, just as insurance that supplies don't run out.

Or, if you are in the neighborhood of another National Park, you can pick one up there.

We have 3, one for my husband and me, and one each for my girls.

Nice, inexpensive, forever keepsake.

Yes, the rangers will bring the stamp on board in Glacier Bay (I stamped my book last year).

In regards to Denali, keep in mind there are several "official" cancellation stamps (each are different stamps) and one "unofficial" stamp. The only way to get the last stamp (at Kantishna) and the unofficial stamp (created by a park ranger) is to take the Kantishna Experience tour to the end of the road. I don't have my book with me currently, but if anyone wants the exact number of cancellation stamps and their locations in Denali, I can look at my book and get you the information.

Something else that comes in handy is there is now an app for all of the passport locations that has some features like marking the places you have visited or want to visit. The app makes it a little easier than printing out the listing of all the cancellation stamp locations and keeping it with you.

Edited by tigger_ag

Sorry it's the SE Alaska Discovery center in Ketchikan. I don't know the names of the streets but it's really easy to find. All we did was walk to where the street in front of the ships curves and followed it about a block up. The Discovery Center is on the right. You can't miss it. If you have the annual pass to the Nat Parks you can use it for admittance. It's really a nice afternoon. You can spend a couple of hours there. They also have clean restrooms. I always have my book with me as I never know where we are going to end up. I was able to pick up a small blank book at Ellis Island that allows for stamps only and that is always in my purse. Enjoy Ketchikan, it's our favorite stop.

Thanks so much. I was just looking at my Alaska guide book and it mentioned the SE Alaska Discovery center so we were going to stop there anyway.

A peek at the web site for NPS doesn't show one for Ketchikan (unless I missed it) but lists one ofr Hubbard Glacier, not Mendenhall. Interesting.

There is a stamp at Mendenhall, I guess not the NPS stamp but they have one and we stamped our books.

Mendenhall is part of the National Forest Service, not actually a park or monument, but they should have stamps.

The SE Alaska Discovery Center is not part of the National park system. I believe it is a state park.

Mendenhall is part of the National Forest Service, not actually a park or monument, but they should have stamps.

The SE Alaska Discovery Center is not part of the National park system. I believe it is a state park.

They both have stamps though and they can surely be stamped in the NP Passport books. We did.

We also got stamps in Carcross, Yukon. Got one stamp for Tongass National Forest and Misty Fiords National Monument. I think I got them at the Discovery Center but I could be wrong.

Edited by dunbawn