St Thomas or St Martin better price for gold

wrestlemom

Have never been to either island and was wondering if anyone can tell me which island either St Thomas or St Martin has better prices on gold. I know I used to hear people saying that the gold was very reasonable (not even sure if it still is wit hthis economy). I am looking for a heavy ankle bracelet!! Thanks for all your help!!

We visit Grand Jewelers on St. Maarten every visit. They also have a store in St. Thomas but deals are better IMHO in St. Thomas. I have to plan a jewelry budget before heading there, but love all of my treasures. ;) We will be back next February while on the Getaway. I am SO disappointed that they will not be stopping in St. Maarten after April 2015 or so. They should leave St. Maarten and dump St. Thomas. St. Maarten is the perfect place for a nice shopping day followed by very good prices for beach chairs/umbrellas and drinks. St. Thomas has become so dirty the last few times we were there. Too much litter and the traffic is terrible.

We thought about doing the Getaway again in Sep. 2015 but with that change it is much less appealing. :(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We visit Grand Jewelers on St. Maarten every visit. They also have a store in St. Thomas but deals are better IMHO in St. Thomas. I have to plan a jewelry budget before heading there, but love all of my treasures. ;) We will be back next February while on the Getaway. I am SO disappointed that they will not be stopping in St. Maarten after April 2015 or so. They should leave St. Maarten and dump St. Thomas. St. Maarten is the perfect place for a nice shopping day followed by very good prices for beach chairs/umbrellas and drinks. St. Thomas has become so dirty the last few times we were there. Too much litter and the traffic is terrible.

We thought about doing the Getaway again in Sep. 2015 but with that change it is much less appealing. :(

Sorry I just re-read and meant to say better deals in St. Maarten.

Just my opinion, but with the advent of the internet, deals aren't like they once were. Gold prices are at a premium, there aren't the same bargains as there were 29 years ago. I wouldn't say either has an advantage.

Buy something because you like it..not because you think you are getting a deal

You won't get any gold or silver for that matter for less than the average worlds (NY and Tokyo) spot price. The price for debate will be the labor price to aquire or even make the jewelry. I know jewelry was less expensive in Sint Marteen the last time I went that way. Labor, quality, carats and brand name come into play.

Regardless. You wont get 15 grams worth of gold for much less or more where ever you go. The internet prices for spot are availiable up to the minute to the vendors.

Learn what 10K, 14K and 18K mean and buy from a local trust worthy merchant where u live. No and I mean No bargains in the islands. When someone tells me the great deal they have got, reminds me of the saying, "Faith is believing what you know isn't so". Been a gold merchant for past 50 yrs.

Learn what 10K, 14K and 18K mean and buy from a local trust worthy merchant where u live. No and I mean No bargains in the islands. When someone tells me the great deal they have got, reminds me of the saying, "Faith is believing what you know isn't so". Been a gold merchant for past 50 yrs.

True.

10K = 41.6% gold

14k = 58.3% gold

18K = 75% gold

20K = 83.3% gold

22k = 91.6% gold

24k = 100% gold

Also too, the alloy in the gold jewelry. Can be anything including cheap cooper, less cheap silver, maybe expensive platinum.

These metal prices will not fluctuate greatly from one place to the next.