Overnight in Civitavecchia??

greg33418

Hello all..

Need some advice..

Booked out of Civitavecchia in October on Oct 4 but arrive on Oct 3 at FCO around 1PM..

Thinking of just going to Civitavecchia and staying overnight there instead of schlepping downtown (arriving later in the afternoon with little time to do anything) and then getting up next morning just to turn around and go back to the port..

Any recommendations on hotels in Civitavecchia, restaurants and stuff to do there would be appreciated..

Thanks much

Greg

Hello all..

Need some advice..

Booked out of Civitavecchia in October on Oct 4 but arrive on Oct 3 at FCO around 1PM..

Thinking of just going to Civitavecchia and staying overnight there instead of schlepping downtown (arriving later in the afternoon with little time to do anything) and then getting up next morning just to turn around and go back to the port..

Any recommendations on hotels in Civitavecchia, restaurants and stuff to do there would be appreciated..

Thanks much

Greg

If you do a search on this board you will find a wealth of info of places to stay.There is a lot of info here.

We took the train from Rome and walked to the Hotel San Giorgio in Civi. It was a great location and we were also able to walk to the port entrance with our suitcases. The room was standard, nice and suited us just fine. They had a great included breakfast. The front desk told us about a pizza restaurant down the street that was fantastic. You are given a piece of paper and write down the kind of pizza you want, for example, in each quadrant - no English!:) We were there in summer and they had a market along the waterfront, and it was easy to find a shop that sold wine - lots of shops on a pedestrian street perpendicular to the water. There's also a fort we didn't visit. It was a holiday, Aug 15, and there was music and spectacular fireworks! Walked along the beach, further down the street from the hotel, at sunset. We liked this town!

While convenient, I've not found Civitavecchia to be a very charming or interesting place. I'd opt to stay in Rome. Either way you have to get yourself from Rome environs to Civitavecchia. Why not do it on the day of departure. At least you can enjoy an afternoon, evening, and morning in Rome.

If you like small boutique hotels, I can highly recommend Domus Lina. We stayed there in 2010 prior to flying to Sicicly. You can read more reviews on Trip Advisor. While it's not Rome, I find Fiumicino charming and have had some great meals there.

Oops! Saw you were going to Civitavecchia, not Fiumicino, I was thinking airport, not cruise port.

Edited by nvbabe

I can understand why you might want to go straight to Civitavecchia given your limited time. It's pricey to travel into Rome and then out to Civitavecchia. But if you've never been to Rome, it would be worth it to spend 18 hours there just to get a taste of it.

With that said, we have booked one night pre-cruise at the Hotel Miramare in Civitavecchia in June. Did a lot of research here and on TA and it seemed the best fit for our family.

Good luck with your planning.

We like the family run Hotel Miramare on the waterfront esplanade, close to railway station . Nice outlook. Roomy rooms well priced . Plenty of restaurants within close walking distance . Book direct via Hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions.

While convenient, I've not found Civitavecchia to be a very charming or interesting place. I'd opt to stay in Rome. Either way you have to get yourself from Rome environs to Civitavecchia. Why not do it on the day of departure. At least you can enjoy an afternoon, evening, and morning in Rome.

I agree. If you've not been to Rome before, stay there for the night! The Trevi Fountain is magical when lit up at night. Rome is mind-blowing and it must be seen if only for a few hours.

We have friends who stayed at the Miramare Hotel. The hotel is in the opposite direction from the San Giorgio and the port entrance. They liked the hotel but didn't appreciate overpaying for a taxi for a five minute ride to the port entrance. If his wife had been a better walker, he said they would have walked. Of course, taxis are one of the costs of travel - I'm just passing along what they said.

I can understand why you might want to go straight to Civitavecchia given your limited time. It's pricey to travel into Rome and then out to Civitavecchia. But if you've never been to Rome, it would be worth it to spend 18 hours there just to get a taste of it.

Good luck with your planning.

Well, either way you have to get from FCO or Rome to Civitavecchia and either way you have to pay for a hotel. So the only real extra expense is the transfer from FCO to Rome (which is about 50-55 euro for 2-3 people....) For me, that's worth it whether it's my first visit or my 15th.

Edited by cruisemom42