Allure general questions

Hi all,

DH and I sailed on Mariner in 2004, then NCL's Star in 2012, but we're back to RCCL because we're dying to try Allure! She looks like an amazing ship. We have a bunch of questions and know that people here will be able to help us:

1) We're looking at a Central Park view balcony cabin - does anyone know what the difference is between a C1 and C2?

2) My DH uses a CPAP machine to sleep at night, is there an outlet close to the bed in these cabins? The RCCL website says that you can't bring an electrical extension cord onto the ship but if there's not an available outlet close to the bed, he'll have to.

3) We really enjoyed getting buckets o' beers on the Star - Miller Lites in the aluminum can/bottles, buy 5 and get the 6th for free - finding a shady spot near the railing and watching the water go by. Can you get buckets on Allure?

4) How much cash does RCCL require to set up your OBC for two people? We liked doing this on the NCL and were able to start the account with any amount we chose, then got the unused cash back the night before the end of the cruise.

5) When there are formal nights in the MDR, are the specialty restaurants also formal?

6) Can we dine at a table for 2 with MTD, or will we always be with others (not that we mind making new friends, but sometimes we just want a dinner alone)?

7) General RCCL question: Is there any way to know when/what kinds of sales RCCL has coming up, like with cabin credits? If there is a price drop, do we call RCCL for an adjustment?

8) Is Evian the only bottled water available on board? Maybe it's just us but we both think that Evian burns our throats for some reason. (We were able to bring a case of Poland Springs on board the Star but we drove up to the pier in NYC, we'll have to fly to FL for Allure).

More questions to come I'm sure. Thanks very much in advance for your help!

HelenaCruiser2012

Regarding the CPAP, I believe there is an outlet near the bed on Oasis and Allure. However, you should contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] well before the cruise and mention the CPAP. They will make arrangements for a proper extension cord and distilled water.

Regarding setting up and on board expense account, I always use cash and I have myself, my mother and sister on mine. they have never asked me for a deposit. The only time was like 10 yrs ago on a 3 nt cruise lol. You have a limit of $500 and once you reach that, you can go to guest svcs and pay some down before you can start using the account again, But they do not ask you to put a deposit down before hand.

Also, when it's formal in MDR, specialty restaurants are usually formal as well.

You can get a bucket of beer, but there's no cost advantage...,..no buy 5, get one free!

You don't have to put ANY money down on a cash account, until your charges hit $500...then they will ask for that.

Specialty restaurants are "smart casual" EVERY night...even formal nights! the 1st formal night is always night 2....the next one is either night 5 or 6.

MTD is just like a restaurant...you will be seated with only your party.. doubtful that others will want company!

Can't help with water issues...we drink the ship's water, since everything you eat and drink (including ice) is made with ship's water! It's fine!

Thanks for all of the information everyone, I really appreciate it! I never knew about the special_needs@rccl.com e-mail address, it's funny I wouldn't have thought of this as a special need but that's great information to have. Also good to know about the OBC - amazing that they don't ask for anything up front. Good for them!

And great to know about the Smart Casual specialty restaurants too! Just our style, much more than gowns & a tuxedo. And even if we can't get a deal on a bucket, DH is happy to know that a bucket can be had. :D

I knew I came to the right place, thanks very much! Any other Allure tidbits are very welcome too! We can't wait!!!

Helena

And great to know about the Smart Casual specialty restaurants too! Just our style, much more than gowns & a tuxedo.

Also keep in mind that if you don't want to dress up on formal nights but would rather not spend extra money on specialty dining, you can always go to the Windjammer buffet for dinner on those nights. I've never done it, but I've read several reviews that said it's a different (better) atmosphere in the evening. You won't have to dress up or spend extra money, and you'll get the same food you'd get in the MDR -- which is awesome on lobster night. :D

Also keep in mind that if you don't want to dress up on formal nights but would rather not spend extra money on specialty dining, you can always go to the Windjammer buffet for dinner on those nights. I've never done it, but I've read several reviews that said it's a different (better) atmosphere in the evening. You won't have to dress up or spend extra money, and you'll get the same food you'd get in the MDR -- which is awesome on lobster night. :D

I also echo this. We do go to the WJ often instead of the MDR, as I often do not like the menu there. The WJ is often closed off 1/3-1/2 what it usually is, and there are loads of empty tables. It is quiet and nice dim lighting. There is usually a small sampling of the MDR food, as well as options to custom make your own dish, like Mongolian BBQ. They have a wonderful selection of breads and cheeses, and at least 3 soups, salads, some kind of pasta (or 3) and desserts. The waitstaff are not overworked at night and are very friendly if you want to chat or leave you alone if you want a more personal conversation. Sure, the plates are plastic, and you have to get up for each course, but its actually a pleasant experience, IMO. And if it happens to be a formal occasion for you (anniversary, etc) you can dress up and make it formal on a non-formal night. I see everyone from tuxedos to flip flops in the WJ at night, and no one bats an eye either way.

You can get a bucket of beer, but there's no cost advantage...,..no buy 5, get one free!

You don't have to put ANY money down on a cash account, until your charges hit $500...then they will ask for that.

Specialty restaurants are "smart casual" EVERY night...even formal nights! the 1st formal night is always night 2....the next one is either night 5 or 6.

MTD is just like a restaurant...you will be seated with only your party.. doubtful that others will want company!

Can't help with water issues...we drink the ship's water, since everything you eat and drink (including ice) is made with ship's water! It's fine!

In regards to your statement about MTD, not always true, sometimes you can be seated with other people, they do however ask if you want a table with just your party and they try their best to accommodate

I don't think there is much difference, if any between a C1 and a C2. We had originally booked a C1 then there was a huge price drop on C2 so we switched rooms. We ended up right next door to the original cabin. Same view. Same size.

In regards to your statement about MTD, not always true, sometimes you can be seated with other people, they do however ask if you want a table with just your party and they try their best to accommodate

That's correct. If you wish to be seated with others at a large table they can accomodate that. If you want a table for two that is not a problem either.

Hint: If you have no problem sitting with others ask to do so, you can usually be seated quicker than waiting for a table for 2.

I don't think there is much difference, if any between a C1 and a C2. We had originally booked a C1 then there was a huge price drop on C2 so we switched rooms. We ended up right next door to the original cabin. Same view. Same size.
C2s are not connecting, and have no accommodations for 3, and are mostly on Decks 9 or 10. Almost all C1s on Decks 9, 10 and 11 are connecting cabins -great if you want one, but IMO opinion more susceptible to noise from the connecting room, and (I think) reducing the sofa to a loveseat due to the need for more open wall (actually door) space. Some C1s have accommodations for 3 people. All CP balconies on Decks 12 and 14 are C1 except for a few poor view cabins which are C2s. NOTE that this is based on current designations, and I think RCI is is planning to change cabin designations to closely align with number of berths they contain.

Thom