Tips on "selling" small group tours to fellow shipmates?

Kinkacruiser

Lots and lots of people do what you are scared to do. They all can't be wrong.

I once almost missed a plane flight because the cab had a flat tyre and their spare was also flat. Does this mean that I never take a cab again - no.

BTW - what was the 3 flat group that you mention? Where did you hear about it?

DON

Agree with you, Don. The more I cruise and travel, the more I find out it's usually pretty easy and safe to find alternatives to the organized 50-person cruise ship bus or the 15-person van. I always keep a $100 US bill tucked in a safe pocket, just in case I need to pay someone to get me to the pier on time. Never had to use it yet.

Finally, ha ha, too funny! One Canadian accuses another of not being polite enough! Epic!

What does being Canadian have to do with anything? Are you stereotyping?

I agree that it doesn't look you suggested anything other than private tours. You didn't mention taxis or waking around on your own.

While I agree I don't like large bus tours, not all excursions are that way. You just gave to read the descriptions. I'm sorry if my being mobility challenged bothers you. What if someone joins your private tour and is slow? Are you going to kick them out when you see them for the first time? What happens if they don't finish taking photos or shopping as soon as you wish? Are you going to leave them behind? You run that risk with all strangers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

What does being Canadian have to do with anything? Are you stereotyping?

I agree that it doesn't look you suggested anything other than private tours. You didn't mention taxis or waking around on your own.

While I agree I don't like large bus tours, not all excursions are that way. You just gave to read the descriptions. I'm sorry if my being mobility challenged bothers you. What if someone joins your private tour and is slow? Are you going to kick them out when you see them for the first time? What happens if they don't finish taking photos or shopping as soon as you wish? Are you going to leave them behind? You run that risk with all strangers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wow! Bring on the hate. Of course, I believe we should respect and welcome mobility-challenged people. I think they should get the best seats on the bus and take all the time they need - I truly mean that.

What bothers me is people who are perfectly able, who stand in the aisle at the front of the bus dithering about whether to bring their sunscreen or towel, while 40 people stand in the aisle behind them waiting for them to pack their knapsack. What I'm intolerant of is people who are told the bus will be moving on at 11 a.m., who show up at 11:20 without a blush, while other people who respected the timeline have been sitting waiting for them.

I'm sorry if my use of the old phrase "the lame, the weak and the halt" offended people - on second thought I could have chosen my words better. How about "the selfish, the rude and the oblivious to other people's enjoyment"? Because that's what I'm really intolerant of.

And yes, I was exactly stereotyping Canadians ironically, because I am one. That's the Canadian sense of humour, right there - poke fun at yourselves while poking fun at the stereotype. Would you like to hear my maple syrup joke?

Lots and lots of people do what you are scared to do. They all can't be wrong.

I once almost missed a plane flight because the cab had a flat tyre and their spare was also flat. Does this mean that I never take a cab again - no.

BTW - what was the 3 flat group that you mention? Where did you hear about it?

DON

As I said, I can't imagine ME doing that [i am not speaking the empirical WE or the mouse in the pocket WE]. There was no 3 flat group - it is my imagination saying Debby - this is for sure what would happen to you if you took a non-guarantee tour.

As this is my 1st cruise - I suspect that I will be a little less impetuous than lots and lots of people. Its probably a mother thing but I think of the old - if everyone was jumping off a cliff would you jump too [and the response of my angry young son - no, but I might give you a little shove :eek:]

As to the taxi to the plane, it's why I try to give myself at least twice the time I need to get to the airport - but I rarely ever take a cab.

Hopefully I will develop a bit more of an unfettered attitude toward travel....

Agree with you, Don. The more I cruise and travel, the more I find out it's usually pretty easy and safe to find alternatives to the organized 50-person cruise ship bus or the 15-person van. I always keep a $100 US bill tucked in a safe pocket, just in case I need to pay someone to get me to the pier on time. Never had to use it yet.

Great idea on the cash - I wouldn't have thought about that.

Great idea on the cash - I wouldn't have thought about that.

Well, money doesn't solve all problems, but I figure if I'm standing by the side of the road with a broken-down taxi...

That actually did happen to me and daughter recently in St Maarten. We didn't realize we were getting into a gypsy cab at Orient Bay. The guy was nice and he really, really wanted our business. Halfway to the pier, there was a big blowout on the back end - tire gone! And I realized this was a guy who probably had no concept of a spare tire.

We flagged down a ride with our driver's help within 5 minutes - cost us $20 to get to the pier, with two hours to spare.

Perhaps we should all just try to realize that there are 4 or 5 things people do in ports (rpivate, DIY, cruise based etc) - and they're doing what's right for them, given their personal wants and needs. And, even those "needs" might vary depending on where the cruise is going.

That's why I like cruising - once the ship hits port it's not one size fits all, we just all look at the ship as a way of getting us there.

Would be interesting to see a poll for the different geographic areas on how cruisers break down (would probably be skewed though - because CC'ers seem to do less ship based than the general cruising public). We have DIY'ers, cruise line based only, private small group with strangers (8 or less), private only and those that stay on the ship (probably more of a Caribbean thing). Guess there are also those that do private large group in ports that have that availability.

Sorry, OP didn't mean to go off on a tangent on what type of tour is best - given your question was how to fill a certain type of tour - but, the thread kind of went off in that direction.