Debit vs. credit

Lexus1224

Perfect, thanks! Since it's only $500, I'll probably just put down a credit card. Do we do this when we get on the ship, or can we do it online before we arrive?

From what I can gather (which may not be much, BTW:D), when you complete your SetSail Pass online, you enter the last 4 digits of the card you are going to use. Upon check-in at the pier, they will swipe the card to get the remainder of the information from it (this way they do not have your entire card number before check in). However, I do not know if the ship's staff actually have your credit card info ONBOARD the ship. They may only have your folio number, meaning they do not have the actual card info, but merely an account with Royal Caribbean, which is settled onboard, but may actually be processed by their corporate office upon return to port. However, the entire card number and all info MAY be kept onboard the ship but only accessible by the purser's staff - the everyday staff members you will encounter on a daily basis do not have access to your actual credit card info - only the folio number(s) attached to your onboard account.

Sorry I do not have the definitive answer as to WHO has your credit card info, however.

I actually just applied for the Royal Caribbean Visa. So, I'll use that for my onboard account. Thanks for the advice!

It adds up the points and you can save 100.00"s off a Cruise over the course of a year. We always use our credit card but make sure you let the Credit Company know of your travel plans and where you will be using it.

From what I can gather (which may not be much, BTW:D), when you complete your SetSail Pass online, you enter the last 4 digits of the card you are going to use. Upon check-in at the pier, they will swipe the card to get the remainder of the information from it (this way they do not have your entire card number before check in). However, I do not know if the ship's staff actually have your credit card info ONBOARD the ship. They may only have your folio number, meaning they do not have the actual card info, but merely an account with Royal Caribbean, which is settled onboard, but may actually be processed by their corporate office upon return to port. However, the entire card number and all info MAY be kept onboard the ship but only accessible by the purser's staff - the everyday staff members you will encounter on a daily basis do not have access to your actual credit card info - only the folio number(s) attached to your onboard account.

Sorry I do not have the definitive answer as to WHO has your credit card info, however.

They don't swipe the card. They just ask you for it. Just make sure no pickpockets swipe your card before you get to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked through the thread and looked online at RC..it only talks about the amount needed for cash deposit..do they preauth your card and if so how much..we have cards used specifically for vacation and just want to make sure the limit is high enough.

My sister went on a similar cruise last year and she said because they used a major cc that there was no preauth.

Also what is the avg you all have spent on a 7 day cruise....trying to figure out a reasonable budget for us as this is our 1st cruise.

Thanks!

I looked through the thread and looked online at RC..it only talks about the amount needed for cash deposit..do they preauth your card and if so how much..we have cards used specifically for vacation and just want to make sure the limit is high enough.

My sister went on a similar cruise last year and she said because they used a major cc that there was no preauth.

Also what is the avg you all have spent on a 7 day cruise....trying to figure out a reasonable budget for us as this is our 1st cruise.

Thanks!

You would probably be better off if you started a new thread with your questions.