Debit vs. credit

Lexus1224

So my credit is, um, well it's on the high end of fair but I am near my max on every credit card. If for some reason I hit my credit limit on the card I initially use, would they let me switch cards mid-cruise?

I was going to use my debit card but this thread was a lifesaver on that!

It's quite safe to use a debit card in bank ATMs around the world - in fact, it's one of the best ways to get foreign currency

I must disagree with you on that. A large gang was recently arrested for selling cloning devices that were attached to ATM machines. They still don't know how many people have had their accounts wiped out because of this. It's pretty well known that thieves can put card readers onto even bank ATM machines and with that can even access your pin number.

As for the whole gift card thing, I've been on nearly every cruise line out there, and have never, ever been able to use one of those pre-paid cards on a cruise ship. Every line requires any card you use to have your name embossed on it.

Edited by kitty9

Just out of curiosity........why don't you use the PIN instead of a signature?

Because the PIN can be recorded at POS terminals, meaning that if someone gets your card AND PIN, a fake card can be made and used to withdraw cash from ATM machines. At least without thr PIN, your account cant be wiped out of cash in 10 minutes like we had happen to us several years ago

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

Most Debit cards (US cards) have limitations of $400 to $500 in cash per day. Your Debit card also has the same fraud protection these days as your credit card. Bad guys take your money, you will get it back!

We use our Debit card strictly for obtaining foreign currency from ATM machines in foreign countries. Has worked all over the world from Istanbul to Beijing, never a problem.

Now we have two separate accts strictly for travel purposes. We load them each with $$$ based on the trip we are doing. DH has one debit card and one credit card while I have a completely different debit and credit card. This way if either of us has an unfortunate event (theft, loss, pick pocket) we still are left with resources. None of these accounts or cards are tied to our regular banking accounts at home.

This system works for us and the worst that has happened was a card was closed by the bank due to "suspected" fraud which turned out to be us in a department store in St Petersburg Russia. Luckily we still had a second card to complete the purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going to cash out the pre-paid VISA and use that cash for my on board expenses. I just got back from speaking with my banks security department and asked them about using a debit card both on the ship and in ports. They said as long as they know where you are going to be, & when, there is absolutely no problem in using a debit card. You have the same risk each time you use a card on-line. They also said, if informed prior to going on our cruise, there would be no "hold" put on our funds. No offense to anyone here, but I am going to trust my bank on this!

Didn't know you could get cash out of a pre-paid Visa Card???? Never been able to myself ?

I can only say what has worked for our family when traveling overseas with Debit Cards and Credit Cards.

Your experience may differ....

I am going to cash out the pre-paid VISA and use that cash for my on board expenses. I just got back from speaking with my banks security department and asked them about using a debit card both on the ship and in ports. They said as long as they know where you are going to be, & when, there is absolutely no problem in using a debit card. You have the same risk each time you use a card on-line. They also said, if informed prior to going on our cruise, there would be no "hold" put on our funds. No offense to anyone here, but I am going to trust my bank on this!

Don't come back here and complain if you have a problem with using a debit card. I will bet that there will be holds on the card.

Don't come back here and complain if you have a problem with using a debit card. I will bet that there will be holds on the card.

As long as he has a pretty good balance the "holds" should not create a problem. As the Debit card is not "chipped" who knows how that will work, in most places it should as long as it has a VISA symbol on it. I just hope he has a back up card for a True Emergency (like needing an emergency flight home).

As long as he has a pretty good balance the "holds" should not create a problem. As the Debit card is not "chipped" who knows how that will work, in most places it should as long as it has a VISA symbol on it. I just hope he has a back up card for a True Emergency (like needing an emergency flight home).

There are many pitfalls when using a debit card. It is bad idea and a disaster-in-waiting.

There are many pitfalls when using a debit card. It is bad idea and a disaster-in-waiting.

Oh I agree.... Wouldn't be how I would do it that's for sure. Debit cards are good for currency from bank ATM over seas and that's it in my view.... And I get some Euros before leaving home...

Oh I agree.... Wouldn't be how I would do it that's for sure. Debit cards are good for currency from bank ATM over seas and that's it in my view.... And I get some Euros before leaving home...

He is not going to Europe, doing a week in the Caribbean. I would not leave home without a Credit Card but each to there own.

Hi everyone – quick question. I have one credit card, as well as my debit. Should I use the credit for my onboard expense account and take my debit ashore? Or, is it not safe to use it in foreign countries?

Thanks for your help!

Personally don't recommend ever using a debit card when traveling. Reason being that US Credit Cards are protected by the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) enacted in 1974 in the event of it being lost, stolen and or fraudulent purchases. Debit Cards are not covered by this law.

Most Debit cards (US cards) have limitations of $400 to $500 in cash per day. Your Debit card also has the same fraud protection these days as your credit card. Bad guys take your money, you will get it back!

Debit Cards do not have the same protection as Credit Cards. Debits cards are not protected under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) enacted in 1974

No, but many debit cards nowadays offer protections similar to credit cards and are less risky than they used to be. May not apply to all debit cards , however.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Debit Cards do not have the same protection as Credit Cards. Debits cards are not protected under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA) enacted in 1974

While not covered under the Fair Credit Bill most banks (and do double check your bank) state that they give their Debit cards the same protection.

My banks Chase, Morgan Stanley, Bank of America & US Bank.

Your bank may not you need to verify but in the US most do.

I only use my Debit card to get cash from ATM machines in specific all set up account for traveling purposes only. I have little to lose if card is compromised and bank WILL give my money back.

Edited by nana541

While not covered under the Fair Credit Bill most banks (and do double check your bank) state that they give their Debit cards the same protection.

I only use my Debit card to get cash from ATM machines in specific all set up account for traveling purposes only. I have little to lose if card is compromised and bank WILL give my money back.

Thank you, as most others refuse to believe this....My MasterCard logo debit card is as you mention as well.

We always use AMEX for our Credit Charges on the Cruise. I do not have to let them know that we are traveling as they already know we made the Air Line reservations and the cruise trip on the card. It is easy 1,2,3. No issues and debit cards have lots of luggage with them including all the overage potential charges that you may never make, but they have your money and are making interest on it for 3-6 days they hold it. Go read your agreements with your bank and then read the agreements with the cruise line. The debit cards shed ton's of interest money for while they have YOUR money hostage and you do not get a dime for the hassel.

On my 2013 cruise ,I had 4 $100.00 Arvest bank gift cards. I just went to the service desk on the ship and they cashed them out for cash ( no fees involved) she gave me half and applied the other half to my account. As requested by me. This was on ncl Pearl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone – quick question. I have one credit card, as well as my debit. Should I use the credit for my onboard expense account and take my debit ashore? Or, is it not safe to use it in foreign countries?

Thanks for your help!

we use credit for points. never had a problem.

This is generally true for US debit card customers but check with your bank....