Debit vs. credit

Lexus1224

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, thanks to this thread (allow me to recap to be sure I've got the gist):

DW and I are set for our 1st cruise in 4/15... going to open the S&S account with traveler's cheques. We'll settle up with any cash left over or debit card (our bank offers similar protections to CCs) if needed. We have only 1 CC and are loathe to use it for anything but emergencies; will be much more comfortable to use cash/traveler's cheques...

Ok, thanks to this thread (allow me to recap to be sure I've got the gist):

DW and I are set for our 1st cruise in 4/15... going to open the S&S account with traveler's cheques. We'll settle up with any cash left over or debit card (our bank offers similar protections to CCs) if needed. We have only 1 CC and are loathe to use it for anything but emergencies; will be much more comfortable to use cash/traveler's cheques...

Sounds great! Just bring that Credit Card in the event of an emergency, you always need a Plan B in case you need to get yourself home. Just lock it in you cabin safe with all your documents and important items.

Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds great! Just bring that Credit Card in the event of an emergency, you always need a Plan B in case you need to get yourself home. Just lock it in you cabin safe with all your documents and important items.

Happy sailing!

Will do Nana541!

• 2 weeks later...

Take cash with you and give it to the front desk. They will draw your daily expenses from this banked amount.

I would check your cruise line about a cash account and what they require as a minimum and then figure out how much you plan on spending.

It is of course safest to have a credit card for an emergency (to get you home if needed).

Take cash with you and give it to the front desk. They will draw your daily expenses from this banked amount.

I would check your cruise line about a cash account and what they require as a minimum and then figure out how much you plan on spending.

It is of course safest to have a credit card for an emergency (to get you home if needed).

Thank you.

I've always used visa debit on cruises and travel. I don't have a credit card and no plan to.

Sent from my C6903 using Forums mobile app

Because you are in the UK consumer protections may be very different for you than for a US or even Canadian traveler.

For a U.S. Traveler to depend on a debit card and limitations of that card and the balance in the acct is to simply hope to god nothing goes wrong in your travels. Unless you have loaded that account with a lot of excess funds, getting home from Europe or dealing with an emergency while overseas would be very difficult.

I travel with Debit cards opened expressly for the purpose of obtaining cash from ATM's. This Debit card is not tied to my day to day finances at home so if it is compromised I have little to lose. I also travel with 2 credit cards, different accts, one in DH wallet and

a different one in mine. This way if mine gets, lost, stolen or has issues we still have a 2nd card to fall back on.

Emergencies do happen when you are far far from home and a credit card is intended to protect you on just such an occasion!

JMHO

We always use cash or a VISA debit card.. never had any issues with our D.C.

This might not be the wisest choice in Europe and other parts of the world. Looks like your cruising is limited to the Caribbean and the Bahamas.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if this has been covered here but I read through two entire pages before skipping to this most recent page. MY EYES!!!! :eek:

Anyway, someone recommended to me to get some pre-paid Visa or Mastercards with smaller amounts on them and only have one with me at a time. They said to keep the others, along with my debit card, in the room safe. Once I've exhausted that card then I can use the next and if it's lost I'm not forced to use a credit card or my debit card and it's not a huge burden.

What are your thoughts and/or suggestions?

Forgive me if this has been covered here but I read through two entire pages before skipping to this most recent page. MY EYES!!!! :eek:

Anyway, someone recommended to me to get some pre-paid Visa or Mastercards with smaller amounts on them and only have one with me at a time. They said to keep the others, along with my debit card, in the room safe. Once I've exhausted that card then I can use the next and if it's lost I'm not forced to use a credit card or my debit card and it's not a huge burden.

Anyway, someone recommended to me to get some cash and only have some of it with me at a time. They said to keep the rest of the cash, along with my debit card, in the room safe. Once I've exhausted the first lot of cash then I can use the next lot of cash and if it's lost I'm not forced to use a credit card or my debit card and it's not a huge burden.

Isn't this the same - but a lot simpler? ;)

And unlike pre-paid debit cards, cash is accepted everywhere.:)

JB :)

If you look at the back side of the Pre-Paid Visa/Mastercards you will see they say "Valid in the US only" the cruise lines also do not take them. (Disney will take Disney Gift cards only).

So no those pre paid grocery store cards don't work. Open an acct at you local Credit Union and get an ATM card to that acct. This should be separate from your regular acct that you pay bills from.

Easiest is to just take a credit card for ship board. You can also open your shipboard acct with cash, check with your Cruiseline on their requirements for a CASH account... They have very specific rules!

No pre paid Visa cards, sorry

Still a little confused..sorry :confused:! This talks about a daily limit of $300 for cash accounts for <7 night cruises. But is there a minimum that you must keep in your account?

Also is getting the remainder of your cash balance back fairly easy at the end of the cruise?

Also again, has anyone tried using a secured credit card?

okay thats all of my questions!

Edited by jaspbri0317

So, for a 7 night cruise, the daily limit is $500. So (I'm slow :p), does this mean I only need to put down $500, or I need to put $3500 down(all 7 nights)?

thanks!

So, for a 7 night cruise, the daily limit is $500. So (I'm slow :p), does this mean I only need to put down $500, or I need to put $3500 down(all 7 nights)?

thanks!

$500. If you exceed that amount, you'll have to add more. But you don't need to put down $500 per night.

Still a little confused..sorry :confused:! This talks about a daily limit of $300 for cash accounts for <7 night cruises. But is there a minimum that you must keep in your account?

Also is getting the remainder of your cash balance back fairly easy at the end of the cruise?

Also again, has anyone tried using a secured credit card?

okay thats all of my questions!

There is a minimum amount for opening the account, but after than there is no minimum amount you must keep in the account.

Sorry, but I don't set up my account with cash or secured credit cards, so I can't answer the rest of your question.

$500. If you exceed that amount, you'll have to add more. But you don't need to put down $500 per night.

Perfect, thanks! Since it's only $500, I'll probably just put down a credit card. Do we do this when we get on the ship, or can we do it online before we arrive?